News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Why is Berwyn so dirty?

Started by Apple107, March 20, 2013, 04:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apple107

I recently took a walk in the depot districts to shop at some of the stores and I was surprised about how dirty the neighborhood is. There was a lot of litter near the train station. Then I went into one of the local stores and it was also very dirty - the counter was dirty, unused equipment dirty, the floors were dirty too. I know these businesses want to succeed but cleaning is something that improves your business and doesn't cost anything.....has anyone else noticed this? Is there a place to give feedback to local businesses aside from yelp?

OakParkSpartan

I've noticed the same.

I wonder if the BDC has ever tried to communicate to business owners the positive benefits of a clean store/sidewalk?

Put them on a bus and run them out to the Oak Brook mall and let them see how it is done there.  Or LaGrange/Western Springs/Hinsdale.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

berwyn senator

Years ago,the individual business owners could be seen sweeping the property around their business including street curbs,and washing their windows each week.Some even had waste cans out front. I can remember washing the front windows on Spatny Pharmacy where I worked as a [art time clerk.

Apple107

That's a good idea to talk to bdc and see what they say. It's like Berwyn businesses have given up - it's strange.

justme

My opinion is that they have no sense of pride.

menace2society

Have you seen the homes in this neighborhood now?  Hardly anyone takes care of their own property anymore.  Disappointing.

berwyn senator

Why is there no law against throwing these useless fliers on the front porches?This would eliminate quite a bit of litter,maybe a start in the right direction.

justme

Quote from: berwyn senator on March 21, 2013, 11:55:44 AM
Why is there no law against throwing these useless fliers on the front porches?This would eliminate quite a bit of litter,maybe a start in the right direction.

They have to have a permission from the city to do this. Last year I called and emailed some of the businesses that left flyers and told them that I would report them to the city if they didn't stop. Haven't seen any from those businesses in the neighborhood since then.

rbain

In the 70's and 80's California had a huge anti-littering campaign with tv ads and they instituted big fines for littering along with signs on the roadsides that showed the fine, usually around $400. I had never seen people just blatantly littering until I moved to Chicago. Was there no such campaign here?

As an aside, it has always been my secret desire to see beat cops on foot carrying a broom for when they're not actually chasing down perps...
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: rbain on March 21, 2013, 05:33:21 PM
In the 70's and 80's California had a huge anti-littering campaign with tv ads and they instituted big fines for littering along with signs on the roadsides that showed the fine, usually around $400. I had never seen people just blatantly littering until I moved to Chicago. Was there no such campaign here?

As an aside, it has always been my secret desire to see beat cops on foot carrying a broom for when they're not actually chasing down perps...
Anti-littering campaign?  My biggest problem in front of my house is people who pay for a private school tuition for their children (St. Leonard's) who are obviously not poor or ignorant I hope. I guess when they park on my side of the block they feel it's OK to just dump their trash.  It's not in front of the church so they're fine with it.  Maddening really when most of then give me the evil eye when I'm transporting my public school daughter in her uniform to middle school like they're better than I am.  I think not.

berwyn senator

I have had fliers taped to my garage on several occasions,this is illegal I am told?Reported to the blight dept. so far no more.The problem is they come with a Chicago phone and no address and are distributed early weekend mornings.

Apple107

Well I think I am going to start cleaning up my block. Maybe because its winter too - everything seems brighter in spring :)

Apple107

Would anyone participate in a block by block campaign?

~LL~

Quote from: Apple107 on March 23, 2013, 08:09:18 AM

Maybe - but remember that you cannot tresspass on the property of another - so your clean-up would pretty much be limited to the public sidewalk and parkway -- and maybe litter in the street --- curbside and possibly litter in an alley.
I believe there is an annual clean-up campaign around the city for which volunteers are requested-- but I believe it is limited to what would be called "public areas" -- parks, etc.  Might be tied into Earth Day.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

berwyn senator

Sounds like a good idea,the other is an orange fence!

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: ~LL~ on March 23, 2013, 09:40:40 AM

Maybe - but remember that you cannot tresspass on the property of another - so your clean-up would pretty much be limited to the public sidewalk and parkway -- and maybe litter in the street --- curbside and possibly litter in an alley.
I believe there is an annual clean-up campaign around the city for which volunteers are requested-- but I believe it is limited to what would be called "public areas" -- parks, etc.  Might be tied into Earth Day.

You really think someone is going to be arrested for picking up litter?

If I were a cop I'd tell them the building department will be out tomorrow to look at their property, or would you like to reconsider the complaint?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Owning a dog is a great excuse for cleaning your block.  Occasionally I'll bring a plastic bag (larger than the grocery store, but with built-in handles, like those from Target or Menards) and pick up parkway debris as we stroll along. 

Admittedly my side of the street gets cleaned more often. 
(Because my side RULES, that's why.)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 23, 2013, 06:12:59 PM
Quote from: ~LL~ on March 23, 2013, 09:40:40 AM

You really think someone is going to be arrested for picking up litter?

If I were a cop I'd tell them the building department will be out tomorrow to look at their property, or would you like to reconsider the complaint?

Just saying that technically it would be tresspassing if you stepped onto someone's front yard and began picking up litter, etc.   While one may not get arrested - it is the property owner's right to call the cops and ask them to get you gone from their property...
but I like your idea of what to say if you were the  responding officer.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

berwyn senator

We are assuming to much,I have yet to have anyone complain when I picked up bottles from their front property.I have yet to hear from any alderman/women.

PamF

Quote from: B o n s t e r on March 23, 2013, 07:38:19 PM
Owning a dog is a great excuse for cleaning your block.  Occasionally I'll bring a plastic bag (larger than the grocery store, but with built-in handles, like those from Target or Menards) and pick up parkway debris as we stroll along. 

Admittedly my side of the street gets cleaned more often. 
(Because my side RULES, that's why.)
Best to take more than one bag.  Reason is that if you come across something you don't want to touch, you can sacrifice one of the bags to grab whatever and then put that inside your other bag.  That's just how I usually do it anyways.