News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Why is Berwyn so dirty?

Started by Apple107, March 20, 2013, 04:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandasz

Our girl scout troop did a clean up last summer near the Children's school. We didn't go in people's yards but if there was garbage within reach from the sidewalk- we got it. We also did the fairways.... No one complained.

berwyn senator

I often wonder what would cause people to be just plain filthy,throwing waste on the streets and alleys.Especially when the even mess their own property,is it the way they are raised? just don't care?no neighborhood is immune.

scottymac

For what it's worth, it is the end of winter. People aren't out every weekend or daily, due to the cold weather, maintaining their plot as regularly as they do during the warm weather months. I seem to notice this every year.

Living on a corner, we are well aware of how there can be a build up of crap. But to me, it seems like there is always more at this time of year because of the winter.

The one thing that does drive me nuts though is the amount of receipts (Walgreens/Taco Bell) that seem to collect by us. WTF?

berwyn senator

Yes people are not out in the winter but they still are messy not like years ago,old young all ages they cleaned up after themselves.When I was a kid walking to Lincoln school,there used to be a man with leg braces and crutches who lived on the South East corner of 16TH. and Ridgeland.In the winter he was out shoveling snow,spring through fall cutting grass and keeping his property clean.So you can see its hard to understand the people today.

dukesdad

Quotenot like years ago

Anyone else notice a recurrent theme in the esteemed Senator's posts?

markberwyn

"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

~LL~

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

markberwyn

Quote from: ~LL~ on April 03, 2013, 11:04:34 AM
Quote from: markberwyn on April 03, 2013, 10:19:36 AM
Quote from: dukesdad on April 03, 2013, 10:08:21 AM
Quotenot like years ago

Anyone else notice a recurrent theme in the esteemed Senator's posts?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkqivn_saturday-night-live-grumpy-old-man_fun#.UVxIO6JOSSo

wish we could actually see the video...

Sorry; don't know what's up with the embed. In short, it's a segment from Saturday Night Live called "Grumpy Old Man," in which a grumpy old man fulminates about how terrible things are now by overstating how much stick-to-it-iveness his generation had at some point in the distant past. The joke is that he is loudly complaining about what he perceives as a culture of complaint; anybody who's spent a little time here will be familiar with the notion.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

~LL~

Since I knew it was Dana Garvey - and needed a comedy fix....

http://www.hulu.com/#!watch/4303
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

justme

LOVE Dana Carvey....who would have thought that I would sound like the  grumpy old man lol!

I'll say what I posted in another thread:

I was driving down 26th by Morton the other day and it looks like crap. The fence (is it the original?) has trees growing through it, and there's so much litter around the area.  (I know nothing, but why didn't they ever put a sidewalk along that stretch?) I think it would be a great idea to take all of these kids who have detention and make them clean up around the school....make them somewhat useful.

berwyn senator

A grumpy old bastard I may be,Obviously most are young that are commenting and clueless as to what will be in later years.When I was young I also felt the same,except myself and a few listened to the elders and learned from them. They taught us well and there was much to learn from these people.Depression,recessions,wars they survived. Their struggles resulted from things they could not control,what they could control they did so very well.What we learned we were able to apply in life,as we grew older always paying attention to our mentors. To this day the lessons learned are priceless,and I continue to learn although only a few are alive I will always spend time with each,and remember the teachings of those that have passed Am I wrong when I complain that Berwyn is much filthier then years past,Prove me wrong? How many foreclosures are there that look like a ghetto,never were there so many.Prove me wrong that Berwyn was not safer,cleaner,and a better town to live in years ago as were most towns? Ask me this would I trade what I have today compared to years past? I might be old and grumpy be not stupid!

dukesdad

I'm not young, just not stuck in the past. I try to make the best of every day and don't dwell on how good things used to be. Things are pretty damn good right now. Get over it.

berwyn senator

If you finished my article I stated I would never trade today for years ago! Hardly am I stuck in the past, talking of the past is just words nothing more.

justme

I just had to do a quick Meijer run and talk about dirty! The plaza parking lot was a mess: papers all over the sidewalks, fast food bags, cups and garbage in the lot,etc.  I know, I know it's the weekend but I don't think that's an excuse. I go to a lot of different areas over the weekends and don't see a bunch of garbage everywhere like I saw tonight. Wow. People are just pigs.

berwyn senator

This is why I always refer to years past,there has to be something wrong with people that litter and don't care.I often wonder what there homes look like.They cannot have any respect for themselves or for others. Far from being stuck in the past just comparing different generations! I do care about Berwyn because this mess does effect everyone,and does not need to be.

Bonster

Quote from: justme on April 06, 2013, 10:16:18 PM
I just had to do a quick Meijer run and talk about dirty! The plaza parking lot was a mess: papers all over the sidewalks, fast food bags, cups and garbage in the lot,etc.  I know, I know it's the weekend but I don't think that's an excuse. I go to a lot of different areas over the weekends and don't see a bunch of garbage everywhere like I saw tonight. Wow. People are just pigs.

It's not normally that bad there.  I think that was due to the high winds yesterday.  Lots like that tend to be a trap for garbage. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2, in need of greasy breakfast
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

berwyn senator

If the garbage wasn't there to begin with there would not be a mess.

justme

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 07, 2013, 04:48:06 PM
If the garbage wasn't there to begin with there would not be a mess.
[/quote

That is exactly what I was going to post!

Ok, it was windy and papers, I'll give that (even tho I shouldn't) but fast food bags full of garbage and empty cups? Come on!

It's NOT a perfect world and people are pigs. Not everyone will use a garbage can but like I said, the amount of trash I see in our area compared to others...there IS a difference! And it's frustrating!

berwyn senator

Does Berwyn have a fine for littering?for some reason I thought there was one? When Waste Management comes through our alley there is one hell of a mess.How hard is it to return the garbage cans to where they belong?Must be a problem for the drivers,the containers are all over the alley,maybe they need a Nav. system to figure things out.Tired of calling!

Apple107

I am working in creating an event to help  a clean up campaign for Berwyn. anyone else interested?  It would be nice to get schools and kids involved along with the block captains of the areas