News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Why is Berwyn so dirty?

Started by Apple107, March 20, 2013, 04:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzz

I think there's one already scheduled for this weekend.  The cleanup is part of Earth Day.  Contact your aldercritter or maybe the Park District.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

Apple, Here's the info:

Help us beautify South Berwyn! Cleaning up around every school & park, preparing the Community Garden at Heritage Middle School for this season's planting and making a difference in the community by working together. All volunteers need to meet in the Heritage Middle School Multi-Purpose Room, 6850 W. 31st Street at 9:00am. A special lunch will take place at Heritage after the clean up, as a thank you to the volunteers.

Saturday, April 20, 2013

berwyn senator

Thanks for the info,has anyone though about helping the handicapped seniors? not me please!

buzz

senator, we got some of that.  I'm not familiar with all the details but it was done thru the old Berwyn/Cicero Council on Aging.  They changed the name a while back.  We're not talking about nursing activities, just daily help like snow shoveling, transportation, shopping, even changing a light bulb.
Some help is offered at a minimal charge $$$, some is free.  Contact your aldercritter.

berwyn senator

This is not for me,there are a few seniors in North Berwyn that could use some help. Thanks for your help!

Port Meadow

I wonder if a fine for littering could help. Understanding that it would be tough to enforce, the police have enough work to do, etc., etc., it might have a big discouraging effect on kids, at least. I remember going on road trips as a child through states that had tough littering fines, and being terrified at the idea of getting arrested or fined that much money for dropping something out the window. Establish the fine, then have cops give a talk at local schools about the new fine and encourage kids to pick up after themselves. The kids would go home with the message, share it with their parents, relatives, friends, etc. It would at least prevent some of the littering, which you would suspect comes from kids on their way to/from school

berwyn senator

justme

Quote from: Port Meadow on April 19, 2013, 03:35:43 PM
I wonder if a fine for littering could help. Understanding that it would be tough to enforce, the police have enough work to do, etc., etc., it might have a big discouraging effect on kids, at least. I remember going on road trips as a child through states that had tough littering fines, and being terrified at the idea of getting arrested or fined that much money for dropping something out the window. Establish the fine, then have cops give a talk at local schools about the new fine and encourage kids to pick up after themselves. The kids would go home with the message, share it with their parents, relatives, friends, etc. It would at least prevent some of the littering, which you would suspect comes from kids on their way to/from school

Kids nowadays don't care, unfortunately. And what is worse is that adults do a lot of this littering and should know better. But it's lack of respect. And I would find it hard to believe that they would enforce a ordinance and actually fine people when they don't even enforce a lot of the bigger ordinances we have now.

Like I said before: community service, kids in detention should be made to clean up, shovel snow,etc.

That being said, I would love to see a montly city clean up to get involved with!