News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Dirty, Filthy MacNeal

Started by nativeson, August 11, 2010, 09:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeson

I'm referring to the outside of the building...  specifically the "cream" colored porcelain coated metal panels and the windows above the main entrance on Oak Park Avenue.  As I remember, when the building was new, MacNeal used to send guys up there regularly to wash and squeegee not only the glass but the cream colored panels.  Now, it's been at least a few years and the whole mess is streaked with filth making it look like one big dirty disgusting discarded bandage that you might find stuck to the sidewalk...  not a very appealing first impression for an institution that's supposed to be a champion of cleanliness. Honestly, can't someone (the City) put a little pressure on MacNeal to clean up such an important focal point of the Depot District?

pkd50

pkd50

berwynson

Tell me, what all has been changed at MacNeal over the years, if anyone knows? Have additional wings or buildings been added?

I was born there long, long ago, and it then consisted of one building, I think. The entrance was centered and off Oak Park, as said above.

Thank you!   berwynson

berwyn senator

To this day I have a disfigured finger from the old MacNeal almost had to have it removed,still to this day wouldn't take my dog there,although I have heard of many success stories.and improvements,its hard to believe. The last time I was there about five years ago the place was a zoo.My father was taken there 1989 was miss diagnosed, had him rushed Northwestern luckily they saved his save his life,had he followed their instructions he would not have lived. But I may ask which hospital would one choose in this area?Eight years age Loyola killed my grandson during a routine procedure,and could not be held accountable.

buzz

Quote from: berwynson on November 13, 2011, 09:35:48 PM
Tell me, what all has been changed at MacNeal over the years, if anyone knows? Have additional wings or buildings been added?
Here's their web-site
http://www.macneal.com
If you click on "Location" the next page will show a small pic of the entrance on OakPark Av.
Not much.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

AmazonAnne

No, we'd die first before going to MacNeal....I had my daughter at West Suburban and liked them alot!

buzz

Quote from: AmazonAnne on November 14, 2011, 11:01:01 AM
No, we'd die first before going to MacNeal....I had my daughter at West Suburban and liked them alot!
Give it time !
I heard the same group that owns MacNeal (Vanguard/Blackstone) took over management of West Suburban earlier this year.   :angry8:
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

AmazonAnne

Of course....fingers crossed they dont run West Sub into the ground like MacNeal.

Thor

Quote from: nativeson on August 11, 2010, 09:57:47 AM
I'm referring to the outside of the building...  specifically the "cream" colored porcelain coated metal panels and the windows above the main entrance on Oak Park Avenue.  As I remember, when the building was new, MacNeal used to send guys up there regularly to wash and squeegee not only the glass but the cream colored panels.  Now, it's been at least a few years and the whole mess is streaked with filth making it look like one big dirty disgusting discarded bandage that you might find stuck to the sidewalk...  not a very appealing first impression for an institution that's supposed to be a champion of cleanliness. Honestly, can't someone (the City) put a little pressure on MacNeal to clean up such an important focal point of the Depot District?
Not just MacN but I think allot of Berwyn is beginning to look run down. I dont think the city gives a rats ass about blight anymore. And before my friend chimes in to call be a cry baby, I dont give a rats ass how north Berwyn looks or looked or might have almost looked. I'm talkin about where I live and I have heard this from other people. But hey at lest we have a BWW and a Chipolte that bring in people.
Stop your whining and think the way I do

berwynson

Quote from: buzz on November 13, 2011, 10:13:07 PM
Quote from: berwynson on November 13, 2011, 09:35:48 PM
Here's their web-site
http://www.macneal.com
If you click on "Location" the next page will show a small pic of the entrance on OakPark Av.
Not much.

Jeez! I remember a sort of "courtyard" leading to the doors, which were set-back from the sidewalk, maybe planted with grass? I think. Last time I saw the place, my Dad was in for a hernia repair, maybe around 1959........berwynson

justme

Quote from: Thor on November 14, 2011, 04:04:52 PM
Quote from: nativeson on August 11, 2010, 09:57:47 AM
Not just MacN but I think allot of Berwyn is beginning to look run down. I dont think the city gives a rats ass about blight anymore. And before my friend chimes in to call be a cry baby, I dont give a rats ass how north Berwyn looks or looked or might have almost looked. I'm talkin about where I live and I have heard this from other people. But hey at lest we have a BWW and a Chipolte that bring in people.

I agree...whatever happened to power washing buildings? The corner of Oak Park and Cermak (aside from the bank building) looks so dirty. That cigarette shop,etc are in an old building, yes, but power wash it and it would look so much better. It's so random: parts of Berwyn are maintained and some are not. Now that the focus is on the Cermak/Harlem area everything else hopefully doesn't get neglected. I don't understand why it's so difficult for our city to be maintianed when other cities/towns can do it.

Bonster

I think allot of Berwyn is beginning to look run down. I dont think the city gives a rats ass about blight anymore.   And before my friend chimes in to call be a cry baby, I dont give a rats ass how north Berwyn looks or looked or might have almost looked. I'm talkin about where I live and I have heard this from other people.

HAA HAAAA!!!!!!    You deserve it, cry baby.  You reap what you sow. 
Beginning?  You should have seen this coming years ago. 

But hey at lest we have a BWW and a Chipolte that bring in people.
Don't forget cupcakes and other bad Depot District food!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Bonster

Quote from: justme on November 15, 2011, 06:33:29 AM
I agree...whatever happened to power washing buildings? The corner of Oak Park and Cermak (aside from the bank building) looks so dirty.

Check out the building on the SW corner of Oak Park & Roosevelt.  Buona keeps their portion of the ugly rock work power washed, but where the other businesses begin in that same building it looks like it's been power washed with diarrhea.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: AmazonAnne on November 14, 2011, 11:01:01 AM
I actually had a good experience with the MacNeal ER a few weeks ago.  My17yo son dislocated his finger (it was going in two different directions) in auto shop.  I wanted to take him to Loyola but because I had to pick up my daughter from school at 3 I had to go to MacNeal since it was just blocks away from her school.  We got in there fairly fast, they numbed it, put it back in place, x-rayed it and our wait for them to read the x-ray was pretty fast too.  In and out in about 2 hours which I don't think is bad at all.

A neighbor in her 50's who worked for MacNeal and rented from them across the street had to have her pacemaker replaced a few years ago.  She didn't want it done there and went to University of Chicago whom they are affiliated with.  She started bleeding during the surgery which they couldn't get under control and ending up dying during a fairly routine surgery.  Sometimes it just doesn't matter where you go if it's your time.

As for their upkeep of the property I'm just happy they worked on the houses across the street from me so they don't look like crap anymore.  That's definitely an improvement.  They did replace the sign on Oak Park avenue - now they need to replace the rest of them to match.  Washing windows and panels seems like a no-brainer to me.

pkd50

Glad to hear they fixed the houses on Wesley Mrs. N.    Do you know what their plans are for them?    Does anybody live there?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: pkd50 on November 15, 2011, 11:00:34 AM
Glad to hear they fixed the houses on Wesley Mrs. N.    Do you know what their plans are for them?    Does anybody live there?
They seem to be vacant.  As for their plans, mum's been the word since they had the meeting about the senior assisted living/nursing home/parking garage.  It appears to be a big clusterf**k and from what I've experienced so far they are far from transparent with the neighbors when it comes down to any concrete plans.

berwynson

Was not MacNeal the sole krankenhaus back in the day, for a whole slew of suburbs, none of which had the temerity to even consider instituting one of their own?

It seemed Macneal was always overloaded; perhaps it's state today would be better, had it not?

Just my thought, FWIW.   berwynson

LOL

I was told by two doctor friends of mine that MacNeal and Cook County were the best hospitals for trauma. They said if you ever get in a car accident and the ambulance asks where you want to go to specify MacNeal or Cook Co. I luckily haven't needed to go to a hospital lately. *knocks head*
The word gullible isn't in the dictionary?