News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Dirty, Filthy MacNeal

Started by nativeson, August 11, 2010, 09:57:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

The two could be called twins especially a warm on Friday or Saturday night ,check the emergency room out!

berwynson

Quote from: LOL on November 15, 2011, 06:12:34 PM
I was told by two doctor friends of mine that MacNeal and Cook County were the best hospitals for trauma. They said if you ever get in a car accident and the ambulance asks where you want to go to specify MacNeal or Cook Co. I luckily haven't needed to go to a hospital lately. *knocks head*

Ah....! A positive comment for the place where many of us emerged to become part of Berwyn!

Now, I ask again: Is "LOL" meant to mean "Laugh Out Loud", or "Lots of Luck"?

berwynson

dualref

LOL means Laugh Out Loud.

Wow, McNeal certainly has changed over the years. My first memory of it were the constant notices in the Cicero Life Newspaper. Items like this:

Mr. John Witchowski was taken to McNeal Memorial Hospital by the Cicero Fire Department last Friday night after cutting his finger on a glass. He was treated and released.

Lots and lots of those in that newspaper, some of them were kind of funny how they injured themselves.

Anyway I remember McNeal's original building as a big gray building with just two small doors for an entrance on Oak Park Av. The emergency room was on the north side of the building kind of like in an alley way. I still remember the strong medical smell of the ER. Then when I was in HS they built that addition along the train tracks just north of the main building.

Is any portion of the old building left? Or did they just remodel the heck out of the old one?

In 1962 when our garage was being built, I dropped a brick on my foot and broke a few bones in it. So my parents took me to McNeal where we had to wait in a tiny waiting room just east of the ER in the old building for 6 hours to be seen. That waiting room was packed!  Then when it was determined I broke a bone in my foot it took another 5 hours to put my foot in a cast. So we were there 11 hours. My parents didn't think anything of it at the time but all I remember saying is "I want outta here NOW!". I think I was 10 at the time.

And sure enough I made the Cicero Life newspaper the next week!

berwyn senator

The hospital has come along way since my youthful days,still I shiver thinking of the place and carry a Huge scar and disfigurement from the ER,as a reminder.

berwynson

Quote from: dualref on February 13, 2013, 03:39:49 AM

In 1962 when our garage was being built, I dropped a brick on my foot and broke a few bones in it. So my parents took me to McNeal      

Golly, yer damn near as old as I am! But I did an even better boo-boo: messing with chemicals, 1955, in 8th. grade, burned my face and hand, 2nd. degree, my Dad took me to MacNeal ER, about 9PM. An Oriental Intern smeared gooey stuff on my face, bandaged all around like a mummy.

Next day, when he got home from work (my Mother didn't drive), my Dad took me to old Doctor Davies in Lyons. (He delivered me and both my nephews at MacNeal). Doc said the Chinaman should not have bandaged me all up! So much for MacNeal!    berwynson

pkd50

I enjoy your postings, but I have to tell you it's no longer PC to call an Asian an Oriental or Chinaman.
I know you meant no harm, just thought I'd give you a heads up.  Very very recently, I was scolded for saying Chinaman.  I wouldn't want you to feel the humiliation that I was supposed to feel......but didn't.   Lol

berwynson

Quote from: pkd50 on February 13, 2013, 07:30:12 PM
I enjoy your postings, but I have to tell you it's no longer PC to call an Asian an Oriental or Chinaman.
I know you meant no harm, just thought I'd give you a heads up.  Very very recently, I was scolded for saying Chinaman.  I wouldn't want you to feel the humiliation that I was supposed to feel......but didn't.   Lol

You missed the point. Our DOCTOR had referred to the "Chinaman". Yes, I meant no harm; it is transfixing to me, that anyone possessing a reasonable amount of intelligence actually allows himself/herself to be guided through life fearing not being "politically correct".

BTW, what circumstances led to your being scolded very recently for simply saying "Chinaman"? Is it acceptable to say "Chinese", when referring to a single individual?

Is there some more politically correct way for me to think of myself as a Czech?  berwynson

pkd50

I was with some old neighborhood friends talking about people and places.  I asked if anyone ever knew the name of the Chinaman who had the shirt laundry.  I honestly had no idea that it was unacceptable. 

berwynson

Quote from: pkd50 on February 14, 2013, 10:58:04 AM
I was with some old neighborhood friends talking about people and places.  I asked if anyone ever knew the name of the Chinaman who had the shirt laundry.  I honestly had no idea that it was unacceptable.

Ah! So! But you see, someone else says it is unacceptable, and therefore they want YOU to believe you are in the wrong. What if it is they who are "out to lunch"?

Here is how I see things: "Oriental" implies the countries of China, Korea, Japan, some parts of Manchuria, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and others. Pure hatred exists among the "big players": China and Japan, especially, and Korea. During occupation, Jaspan slaughtered millions of Chinese citizens. Can one believe for a moment that the average Chinese citizen would appreciate his being placed on the same level of existence as "Oriental", as the Japanese? What, love a brother who killed your other brother? PC applied here is patent bullshit, IMO.   berwynson

markberwyn

Quote from: berwynson on February 14, 2013, 07:12:59 PM
Quote from: pkd50 on February 14, 2013, 10:58:04 AM

Ah! So! But you see, someone else says it is unacceptable, and therefore they want YOU to believe you are in the wrong. What if it is they who are "out to lunch"?

Here is how I see things: "Oriental" implies the countries of China, Korea, Japan, some parts of Manchuria, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and others. Pure hatred exists among the "big players": China and Japan, especially, and Korea. During occupation, Jaspan slaughtered millions of Chinese citizens. Can one believe for a moment that the average Chinese citizen would appreciate his being placed on the same level of existence as "Oriental", as the Japanese? What, love a brother who killed your other brother? PC applied here is patent bullshit, IMO.   berwynson

Not sure what you're trying to say with your blithering, but "Chinaman" is racist. Full stop.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

Katekyle

Our doctors are not at MacNeal but at Loyola (where we have always been very happy), but do spend a lot of time there with my parents.  I cannot stand that you have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke from the crowd of employees and visitors who are smoking outside of the entrances.

buzz

Quote from: Katekyle on February 15, 2013, 09:36:55 AM
  I cannot stand that you have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke from the crowd of employees and visitors who are smoking outside of the entrances.
But it's not just MacNeal.  I've seen this at Loyola and West Suburban too. 
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Bonster

Quote from: buzz on February 15, 2013, 12:32:55 PM
Quote from: Katekyle on February 15, 2013, 09:36:55 AM
  I cannot stand that you have to walk through a cloud of cigarette smoke from the crowd of employees and visitors who are smoking outside of the entrances.
But it's not just MacNeal.  I've seen this at Loyola and West Suburban too.

agree!  I went to Loyola a couple weeks ago and had to wade thru the smokers at 2am!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

berwynson

Quote from: markberwyn on February 14, 2013, 07:41:42 PM

Not sure what you're trying to say with your blithering, but "Chinaman" is racist. Full stop.         

The Board has a most able individual whose decision-making governs the degree of moral decay allowed here. Any individual interfering with that position by imposing demands regarding acceptability would seem to be out of line.

Aside from that fact, it would appear sensible to assume that only a fool would waste his valuable time reading another's "blithering", much less take the time to add his own response to it.   berwynson

markberwyn

Quote from: berwynson on February 15, 2013, 07:07:42 PM
Quote from: markberwyn on February 14, 2013, 07:41:42 PM

The Board has a most able individual whose decision-making governs the degree of moral decay allowed here. Any individual interfering with that position by imposing demands regarding acceptability would seem to be out of line.

I'm not trying to play moderator. I'm simply telling you that any attempt to rationalize "Chinaman" as acceptable will fall on deaf ears in the larger adult world, though I have no doubt you can find parts of the world where this nonsense gets respected.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

OakParkSpartan

Chinaman?  That's kind of laughable.  Not the way I refer to Chinese people.

Chinese guy.  Chinese dude.  Both sound a lot better than "Chinaman".
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

pkd50

I'm telling you.  When I grew up, things weren't as PC.  I never intentionally hurt anybody by calling them names.  The guy who owned the neighborhood laundry was a very nice man, part of our community, and that's what we called him.  Today I wouldn't, but it was not done with malice even back then.

markberwyn

Quote from: pkd50 on February 16, 2013, 03:00:45 PM
I'm telling you.  When I grew up, things weren't as PC.  I never intentionally hurt anybody by calling them names.  The guy who owned the neighborhood laundry was a very nice man, part of our community, and that's what we called him.  Today I wouldn't, but it was not done with malice even back then.

How much a part of your community could he have been if you called him "Chinaman" instead of his name?

exPROPer

berwynson

Quote from: markberwyn on February 16, 2013, 03:27:32 PM
Quote from: pkd50 on February 16, 2013, 03:00:45 PM

How much a part of your community could he have been if you called him "Chinaman" instead of his name?

Have you ever listened to black guys talk amongst themselves, when your presence was either undetected, or ignored?

berwynson