News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Low voter turnout hands win to DCOB, stuns IVB

Started by freighton, April 12, 2009, 03:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freighton

I am curious to know how we have nearly 25,000 registered voters in Berwyn, yet only 7,500 (or so) came out to vote Tuesday. 

Also, how did the IVB lose nearly 2,000 votes from 2005?  Is Berwyn made up of more hard Democrats than in years past?  Were residents turned-off by all the negative literature?  Or did IVB supporters stay home because they were too complacent?

If you compare candidate for candidate (especially for the Township), it appeared the IVB slate was more qualified and credentialed, however results indicate the majority of voters (or 49%) voted straight Democrat without considering the the names on the ballot. 

n01_important

Your guess is as good as any.  You ask some good questions.

Most people here are either working through the phases of grief (shock, denial, guilt, anger & acceptance) or are rubbing it the noses of those in grief.

A few questions come to mind:

• How much the Obama-Democrat factor had on this election.
  • An interesting comparison would be how the Republicans faired on this election versus the last.
  • How much of a factor was the voters who normally vote IVB who stayed home.  Your right in asking, was it complacency?
  • Did voters who stayed home see a difference between IVB and DCOB?  Did DCOB succeed in getting the message out to those who wanted change or did IVB fail to motivate those who are happy/content with IVB?

Stupid fuck

Berwyn Patsy

And----maybe somebody put something in the drinking water!  You will never
know what happened that election day.  Somethings can not be explained, but it
is fun guessing!

Hogzilla

As a new-ish resident I can say this was the most ridiculous election/circus I've ever seen in any election, local or national. It didn't give me any confidence in how politics is handled or the politicians running. All but a few I wouldn't trust to run a used car lot. It is very concerning. But, I haven't been too impressed with Illinois politics as a whole. Corruption, back stabbing, temper tantrums, two faced lying and treating citizens as ATMs for the public coffers is the norm.

I say this as a challenge to up the game. If they don't, this town won't grow in the way we would like and even the best ad campaigns won't help the situation. I want to see professionalism restored. I don't want to be Cicero West.
"Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em."

Roger

no1_important: 1) The Obama-Democrat factor played no part whatsoever.  2) A comparison showing how the republicans faired in the last election versus this election will prove to be meaningless. 3) Voters who stayed home who normally vote IVB was not as much a factor as those who used to vote IVB voting DCOB this time because they were dismayed and disgusted by OC's performance.  They felt betrayed from the onset. OC was the poster child for 1 and done.  4)  The DCOB had little trouble selling their message because OC proved to be a total bs'er and in additon, city services suffered big time during his tenure.  All things considered, I think those who remain loyal to the IVB did a great job in motivating far more people to vote IVB than I thought they would.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: Hogzilla on April 12, 2009, 07:02:44 PM

I say this as a challenge to up the game. If they don't, this town won't grow in the way we would like and even the best ad campaigns won't help the situation. I want to see professionalism restored. I don't want to be Cicero West.

Some would argue that it wouldn't be bad to be Cicero West.  In terms of raw potential, they have us smoked.  They're developing hundreds of acres - we're saving decrepit bank buildings and funeral parlors.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment, Roger.  Compared to the super-charged 2005 elections when everyone was on the street, the only candidate I saw this year - IVB and DCOB - was Vince LaPaglia.  In 2005, I shook hands with at least 10 IVB supporters - this year, none.  Why?  Maybe I wasn't home, maybe the IVB was depleted or demoralized - but the 2005 IVB would have smoked the DCOB, especially when considering that Lovero only got 400 more votes than Woodward.  To me, this was more of an IVB loss than a DCOB victory, but what do I know?  Remember the SRO debate at the VFW in 2005?  Where was that passion this year?

The Jackal

Quote from: Roger on April 12, 2009, 07:55:47 PM
1) The Obama-Democrat factor played no part whatsoever.

Fact or opinion?

Can you please provide empirical support?

Quote2) A comparison showing how the republicans faired in the last election versus this election will prove to be meaningless.

I do believe the term is fared, good sir. In any event, the Republicans did play a role in this election. Mr. Castrogiovanni amassed 300+ votes in a mayoral race that was decided by only 700 or so votes. Furthermore, Frank Amaro handed the first ward to Nona Chapman. If I were a betting man, I would guess that most of his 200 or so votes would have went to Kate Walczak. 

Quote3) Voters who stayed home who normally vote IVB was not as much a factor as those who used to vote IVB voting DCOB this time because they were dismayed and disgusted by OC's performance.  They felt betrayed from the onset. OC was the poster child for 1 and done.

The facts (or numbers), good sir, do not support your claim. At most, 400 people who voted IVB in '05 probably voted for Mr. Lovero this time (given that Bob only amassed 400 more votes this time than the completely incompetent Mike Woodward did in '05). That would still leave 2, 100 IVB VOTERS unaccounted for, more than enough to give Mr. O' Connor and the IVB a comfortable victory.

Quote4)  The DCOB had little trouble selling their message because OC proved to be a total bs'er and in additon, city services suffered big time during his tenure.  All things considered, I think those who remain loyal to the IVB did a great job in motivating far more people to vote IVB than I thought they would.

I think you may have overestimated the value of your opinion.

Have a Happy Easter.

OakParkSpartan

Amaro was a shill.

He was poll watching in the 6th ward.  If you are a candidate trying to win, wouldn't you want to be at least where your voters can see you ie. in the 1st ward?
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

rbain

Quote from: The Jackal on April 12, 2009, 08:20:07 PM

I do believe the term is fared, good sir.  <...> I would guess that most of his 200 or so votes would have went to Kate Walczak. 

...physician heal thyself...
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

Roger

JACKAL: You are correct..... the term is "fared."  My bad.  I will not ask you to provide empirical support regarding your assertions/guesses that the 300 votes Castro receieved affected(effected).. I dunno whatever is the correct term, the outcome of the mayoral race and that Amaro handed the First ward to Chapman. I disagree on both counts.  Give OC all of the votes that Castro received, and Lovero still emerges victorious.  In addition, I will not ask you for empirical support for your assertion that at most 400 people who voted IVB in 2005 voted for Lovero.  The results in the aldermanic elections clearly indicate to me that many who voted IVB last time voted DCOB this time.  If in fact you are correct that 2100 people who voted for OC and IVB last time decided not to vote this time, if I was a gambling man, I would bet that meant that those people felt they had enough of OC, and they didn't see either Castro or Lovero as a viable alternative.  I hope you and yours had a very Happy and Blessed Easter.

Ps:  I don't overestimate the value of my opinion.  I am of the opinion, like the saying goes, that opinions are like assholes.... everyone has one.

Berwyn GOP

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 12, 2009, 08:29:02 PM
Amaro was a shill.

He was poll watching in the 6th ward.  If you are a candidate trying to win, wouldn't you want to be at least where your voters can see you ie. in the 1st ward?

In defense of Frank Amaro, he was not a pollwatcher in 6. I had appointed his daughter, Christina, as a Republican pollwatcher in 6 and Frank would periodically bring her food, beverages and to check up on her. I gave him credentials so that he could be in the polling place legally.

Tony C.

Roger

Robert:  The IVB were out there working.  I encountered them everywhere I campaigned.  I have read your posts and I know that you are very disappointed with the results of this election.  At least thats the way it appears to me.  You might very well be correct that this was more of an IVB defeat than a DCOB victory; however, in my opinion, it wasn't because the IVB wasn't out there trying.  In my opinion, OC took almost the entire slate down with him.  I would only ask that you give the new administration a chance. Lovero has learned many lessons during his political career, and he is sensitive to all of the needs of the majority of the residents of Berwyn.  Nobody can please all of the people all of the time, but I think Lovero will please most of the people most of the time with the decisions he makes and the direction in which he leads the City and its residents.

Robert Pauly

Quote from: Roger on April 12, 2009, 08:55:52 PM
Robert:  The IVB were out there working.  I encountered them everywhere I campaigned.  I have read your posts and I know that you are very disappointed with the results of this election.  At least thats the way it appears to me.  You might very well be correct that this was more of an IVB defeat than a DCOB victory; however, in my opinion, it wasn't because the IVB wasn't out there trying.  In my opinion, OC took almost the entire slate down with him.  I would only ask that you give the new administration a chance. Lovero has learned many lessons during his political career, and he is sensitive to all of the needs of the majority of the residents of Berwyn.  Nobody can please all of the people all of the time, but I think Lovero will please most of the people most of the time with the decisions he makes and the direction in which he leads the City and its residents.

I purposely stayed clear of the mayoral portion of this election on this board.  While I believe that Mike deserved a second term, I fully understand why others feel differently.

The 201 elections are another issue.  The results piss me off.  Two great candidates got smeared and lost, to the detriment of the community.  1) They were smeared by the CVA, 2) Rather than endorse the best possible candidates, the DCOB played politics and endorsed the CVA slate, and 3) That's not a great way to start a new relationship with me, for whatever that's worth.  I understand alliances, and I believe that it makes sense to be in bed with Cicero, but, Jesus, can we cut the bull shit, deception and smears?

Lovero and crew has my support, and I believe that all Berwynites should do the same.  But there's enough history, and there were enough dirty politics in this election to put me, at least, on high suspicion.

The Jackal

Quote from: Berwyn GOP on April 12, 2009, 08:54:10 PM
Amaro was a shill.

In defense of Frank Amaro, he was not a pollwatcher in 6. I had appointed his daughter, Christina, as a Republican pollwatcher in 6 and Frank would periodically bring her food, beverages and to check up on her. I gave him credentials so that he could be in the polling place legally.

Tony C.

I guess the most obvious question sir is why appoint Mr. Amaro's daughter in 6? Why not someone else? And why not somewhere else?

The appearance of impropriety is somewhat startling. Mr. Amaro did not think enough of your party to run as a Republican in the 1st Ward, yet you thought enough of the independent Mr. Amaro to make his daughter a pollwatcher in 6 (?) and give Frank himself credentials for that same ward?

Food, beverages, and check up on her? How old is Christina, 12?

The Jackal

Quote from: Roger on April 12, 2009, 08:46:23 PM
I will not ask you to provide empirical support regarding your assertions/guesses that the 300 votes Castro receieved affected(effected)..

I didn't say the 300 votes that Castro collected affected the ultimate outcome of the mayoral race. I intimated it was one of many factors that did so.

Alex Bojovic also received 300 or so votes, and no matter which way you spin it, Mike O'Connor somehow lost over 2, 000 additional votes. That's not my opinion, that fact is borne out by statistics.

Not to mention the primary "candidacy" of the esteemed Mr. Meshek, another Republican shill that forced IVB voters out twice in a few months.

QuoteI dunno whatever is the correct term, the outcome of the mayoral race and that Amaro handed the First ward to Chapman. I disagree on both counts.

Ms. Walczak lost by appx 30 votes. Mr. Amaro received appx. 200 votes. While I don't have any cold hard facts before me, I would bet dollars to donuts (to borrow a phrase from another btf member) that most of those 200 votes were "swing" votes (or voters who had voted Republican or IVB in the past).

QuoteGive OC all of the votes that Castro received, and Lovero still emerges victorious.

Correct.

QuoteIn addition, I will not ask you for empirical support for your assertion that at most 400 people who voted IVB in 2005 voted for Lovero. The results in the aldermanic elections clearly indicate to me that many who voted IVB last time voted DCOB this time.

Simple math and logic.

I highly doubt Mr. Lovero lost any of the votes that the totally ineffective Woodward amassed in '05 to the IVB or either Castrogiovanni or Bojovic. Therefore, the most possible IVB votes he could have pulled from OC this year was 400 or so, the increase in his vote total over Woodwards.

Roger

Robert:  Joe Keating was an excellent choice for 201, and he had the support of the CVA and DCOB.  There was no way that the DCOB was going to endorse Kelly or Fortunato.  Kelly, because of all that has been written about her here, and Fortunato because she was joined at the hip with Kelly.  There was also no way the DCOB was going to endorse Korbos because he was an outspoken advocate of outsourcing, and Titzer being joined at the hip with Korbus, there was no way he was going to get the DCOB endorsement either unless he openly came out against outsourcing.  The pool of candidates to draw from resulted in the DCOB joining forces with the CVA in backing the CVA endorsed candidates.  There was enough dirty politics by both of the major parties as has always been the case depending upon what you consider dirty.  The same goes for history.  Bottom line I guess... not only do I think that Lovero will win over many of his detractors.  I also believe that the school board has been doing a far better job than had been done by the board in the past, and will continue to do so.

Berwyn GOP

Quote from: The Jackal on April 12, 2009, 09:20:40 PM
Quote from: Berwyn GOP on April 12, 2009, 08:54:10 PM
Amaro was a shill.

Tony C.

I guess the most obvious question sir is why appoint Mr. Amaro's daughter in 6? Why not someone else? And why not somewhere else?

The appearance of impropriety is somewhat startling. Mr. Amaro did not think enough of your party to run as a Republican in the 1st Ward, yet you thought enough of the independent Mr. Amaro to make his daughter a pollwatcher in 6 (?) and give Frank himself credentials for that same ward?

Food, beverages, and check up on her? How old is Christina, 12?

Christina Amaro is a Republican. She has worked as a Republican election judge for two years now. I intentionally placed her in a precinct and ward far from where her father was a candidate so that there would be no impropriety. I observed IVB candidates outside of their wards also acting as pollwatchers and credentialled throughout the city. Shouldn't the same criticisms of them be made as well? I'm not making an issue out of it because there isn't one. Why create controversy where there is none?

Roger

JACKAL:  I guess thats the problem with "empirical" support.  There is no way to verify or disprove any conclusion that it might lead one to.  We will never know what effect all of the candidates had the vote totals the others received, and we will never know how many cross over votes Lovero or any of the other candidates received.  There is no such thing as "simple math" when one is relying on empirical data alone, and the logic that such a reliance results in can be varied.  

The Jackal

Quote from: Berwyn GOP on April 12, 2009, 10:05:10 PM
Christina Amaro is a Republican.

So is Frank.

QuoteI intentionally placed her in a precinct and ward far from where her father was a candidate so that there would be no impropriety.

What impropriety? If they represent two different political affiliations, what "impropriety" could there be?

Yet the question remains, why the sixth?

QuoteI observed IVB candidates outside of their wards also acting as pollwatchers and credentialled throughout the city.

Which ones?

The Jackal

Quote from: Roger on April 12, 2009, 10:07:29 PM
JACKAL:  I guess thats the problem with "empirical" support.  There is no way to verify or disprove any conclusion that it might lead one to.  We will never know what effect all of the candidates had the vote totals the others received, and we will never know how many cross over votes Lovero or any of the other candidates received.  There is no such thing as "simple math" when one is relying on empirical data alone, and the logic that such a reliance results in can be varied.  

No sir, my simple math is primarily focused on the 2,100 or so votes that O'Connor lost. That's irrefutable.

Were they all IVB votes? Impossible for one to know, but I think an educated and safe bet is that most were.