News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Meetings on referenda & candidates forum

Started by Ted, February 09, 2014, 11:22:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Several meetings about the D100 referenda:

7th Ward Alderman Rafael Avila invites you to attend an informative meeting regarding the School District referenda on the ballot for March 18th.

Please join Alderman Avila on:
  Thursday, February 27, 2014
  Piper School
  2435 Kenilworth
  6:30 PM

Ted

As Buzz pointed out, there is also going to be a presentation on the D100 referenda at the ABC forum on Thursday, February 20 starting at 7 PM at Berwyn City Hall, 26th and Wesley.

This will also be a candidates forum as well for candidates running in the March primary.

buzz

I'd like to see robocalls go out about the primary starting well before March 18th.
Nobody knows about these referenda.  Hell, nobody even knows about the bond issue the Council passed.  They could easily tailor the message to alert all D100 taxpayers about the ballot.  Then, they might just start educating themselves about the issue.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Ted

Also, there is going to be a D100 Board of Education Committee of the Whole meeting this Wednesday, February 12, 2014 at 6 PM at Heritage (31st between Home and Oak Park).  The referenda and the FY15 budget (that's proposed for NEXT year) is on the agenda for discussion.

buzz

Thanks Ted.  That's a regularly scheduled meeting and NOT an open forum.

Marge Paul sent an email out about this and the snow removal.  In it she mentioned the City Clerk had previously sent an email out about the Board meeting.  Did anyone receive the City Clerk's email ?  I didn't.  How do you get on that list ?  I put both my home phone number and my email address on my water bill.  Is that where they get them ?

Ted

Quote from: buzz on February 10, 2014, 05:55:56 PM
Thanks Ted.  That's a regularly scheduled meeting and NOT an open forum.

Marge Paul sent an email out about this and the snow removal.  In it she mentioned the City Clerk had previously sent an email out about the Board meeting.  Did anyone receive the City Clerk's email ?  I didn't.  How do you get on that list ?  I put both my home phone number and my email address on my water bill.  Is that where they get them ?

I agree it's not an open forum where questions can be asked. But, there may be some information presented about the referenda.

Then, again, the agenda item may just mean they talk about it for 1 minute and move on.

dukesdad

QuoteI'd like to see robocalls go out about the primary starting well before March 18th.

Who would generate the robocalls?

buzz

The City Clerk sent this out by Email, why not tailor it for a robocall ?  Many seniors don't have internet so this has a better chance of reaching them since they may have land lines.  They should do this for every election to encourage voters.  Wouldn't hurt.
I removed the links they reference.

"There is an election in March 2014. The City Clerk and County Clerk has asked us to provide you with the following information. Please click on the links below to find information about the election, early voting, voting by mail and the offices that will be up for election.
Please note that there will be important revenue referendums for our local elementary school district on the ballot. To learn more about the referendums, you can attend the South Berwyn School District 100 Committee of the Whole meeting scheduled for Wednesday, February 12, 2014. The meeting will be held at Heritage Middle School 6850 W 31st Street. The meeting begins at 6:00 p.m.

There will be a public hearing on the 2014 City Budget this Tuesday February 11, 2014 at City Hall. The public hearing begins at 5:45 p.m. in City Council Chambers (2nd Floor). You can view a copy of the proposed budget at City Hall in the City Clerk's office. "

Ted

Another meeting on the referenda, this one hosted by 2nd ward alderman Jeff Boyajian.  I assume this will be at Pershing School, since the "tour" will be at Pershing school:

Please join 2nd ward Alderman Jeff Boyajian, Pershing Principal Marilyn McManus and members of the community for a discussion of the March 18th education referenda on Monday, March 3rd at 6:30 PM. The evening will consist of Presentations, Q & A, Tour of Pershing School.

Ted

Another meeting on the referenda, this one hosted by 5th ward alderman Cesar Santoy, at Komensky School, 25th & Cuyler:

Please join 5th ward Alderman Cesar Santoy, Komensky Principal Jeremy Majewski and members of the community for a discussion of the March 18th education referenda on Wednesday, March 5th at 6:30 PM. The evening will consist of Presentations, Q & A, Tour of Komensky School.

justme

A good friend of ours lives in Marge Paul's area and didn't know about any email she sent out. How does one get on her list?
(Because I will bet $100 he never even signed up to be and that is why he doesn't get them haha)

psychomom

Have your friend send an email to:
marge3rdward@sbclocal.net
Her voice mail number is 708-749-6403

Marge is very accessible.
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

berwyn senator

Interesting how the alderman are so involved hosting all these meetings.

buzz

Well they weren't very involved during the Pesek debacle.

berwyn senator

Ted

Another meeting on the referenda, this one hosted by 4th ward alderman Bob Fejt, at Hiawatha School, 26th & East avenue:

Please join 4th ward Alderman Bob Fejt and members of the community for a discussion of the March 18th education referenda on Thursday, March 6th at 6:30 PM. The evening will consist of Presentations, Q & A, Tour of Hiawatha School.

berwyn senator

buzz

Quote from: dukesdad on February 11, 2014, 08:53:30 AM
QuoteI'd like to see robocalls go out about the primary starting well before March 18th.
Robocalls have started in the 2nd Ward.  1 of my neighbors got a call from Alderman Boyajian today.

Ted

Quote from: buzz on February 28, 2014, 09:15:24 PM
Quote from: dukesdad on February 11, 2014, 08:53:30 AM
Robocalls have started in the 2nd Ward.  1 of my neighbors got a call from Alderman Boyajian today.

I got two robo calls yesterday, both around 7 PM, each within 5 minutes of each other.  They were about the meeting on Monday at Pershing concerning the referenda.

I was wondering if that was a smart thing to do. People who may not have known about the referenda now know about it.

Good Time Charlie