Spring Neighborhood Watch meeting - Prevention Through Education

Started by sheldar, April 22, 2014, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldar

The Berwyn Police Department and the City of Berwyn Present a Community-Wide Event: Prevention Through Education TOPIC: "Protecting Our Children"

http://berwynpd.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/docs/City-Wide_Meeting_Flyer_-_Web.85120605.pdf

Tuesday April 29th, 2014
7:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Skylight West Banquet Hall
7117 W. Ogden Avenue

~LL~

Thanks for posting, "Sheldar".  Very important meeting with excellent guest speakers. 
All please note it will be held at Skylight West on Ogden vs. at BPD station.
Encourage  all your neighbors to attend - and invite family and friends to attend as well.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

berwyn senator

I would think every person with children under their care would not miss this event, but I can only hope.

~LL~

Quote from: berwyn senator on April 28, 2014, 11:36:38 AM
I would think every person with children under their care would not miss this event, but I can only hope.

Indeed - this is a very important meeting and first-rate guest speakers will be present.  Please -- all spread the word to your neighbors, family and friends in Berwyn this afternoon -- and encourage them to atttend the meeting this evening -- rain or shine!

~LL~

I'm very sad and disappointed that the Neighborhood Watch meeting was not very well attended -- but sincerely thank those who did come out last night.  The speakers were awesome - very passionate about their topic and offed up valuable insights and information. 
Some claimed "Bulls playoffs" as reason for low attendance.  Maybe...

That being  said, any and all ideas are welcomed to help encourage residents  to take advantage of the City-Wide Neighborhood Watch meetings in the future.  The next is being planned for October and at least one awesome guest speaker is already on board.

Keep in mind -- the focus of these meetings is to be "Prevention through education".  While there is a method in place to address residents' individual concerns at these meetings -- they will no longer be one long open forum or City of Berwyn department heads just speaking about what their respective department does for residents, etc.

A great deal of thought and planning is going into Neighborhood Watch meetings now-- with intent to offer all residents valuable information they can use to maintain or help improve the quality of life for themselves, their family and their neighborhood/our City--with, of course, the total support and assistance from the City of Berwyn and the Berwyn PD.

So - any and all suggestions on how to increase attendance at these meeting would be very welcomed.  Thanks.

LL

berwyn senator

I truly believe the attendance was a indication of how serious parents are about education,Bulls my ass, the meeting was just not a priority.This has been a problem throughout the educational system! How well was this meeting promoted in each ward?Are the alderman involved?Schools,PTA,are they involved? Even city hall, Berwyn township,I guess I could go on an on!

dukesdad

Quoteany and all suggestions on how to increase attendance at these meeting would be very welcomed

Free beer.

berwyn senator

justme

Quote from: dukesdad on April 30, 2014, 11:26:45 AM
Quoteany and all suggestions on how to increase attendance at these meeting would be very welcomed

Free beer.

That would work!!

ALso , robo calls, maybe the schools sending flyers home with the kids , etc.

~LL~

Quote from: justme on April 30, 2014, 06:36:08 PM

ALso , robo calls, maybe the schools sending flyers home with the kids , etc.

Schools put meeting announcement/topics, etc. on their websites.  Robo calls made.  BPD Volunteers walked blocks, business areas and parks handing out meeting announcements and talking up the meeting. 
Property owners/residents are stakeholders; one would think more would be interested in the now and future well being/safety/etc. of our city.  Very disappointed with the turnout.  Valuable information for parents/families -- was very educational whether one had children or not.

OakParkSpartan

Post the presentation online.  Then I can read it quickly.

I've been to enough of these to have learned the signal to noise ratio is very low ie.  Lots of time for very little benefit.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

justme

Wow we never got a robo call about it. And the only people who walked our block last week were the annoying Xfinity salesmen. We were on our death bed from food poisoning anyway so it's probably best that we didn't go ;)

Would they ever consider having the meetings on a weekend morning? Not an excuse, but I am sure many would say that weeknights are hard with work, making dinner,etc. Having it on a weekend morning would perhaps eliminate a lot of excuses (?)

Although with issues like this, there should be any excuses (except food poisoning  :-\  )

I do agree that the aldermen should get out and walk their asses around for things like this . They have no problem doing it for elections!

Sandy

I actually had too much homework to finish, but have also attended enough of these to know that there is not much new or really useful information given. We also never got any robo call, nothing and no one came to the door. I don't have a kid in school so am not sure what went out there, but even when I did - checking the website was usually not a priority.
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy