INPUT FROM ALL NEEDED!!! Possible Business Location Move

Started by MMB, April 26, 2009, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: BRoWN on April 29, 2009, 12:55:07 PM
Its not who knows more than Michael Flight as much as McDonalds  knowing more about commercial leases....than just about EVERYONE.   Then again, McDs likely got this exclusive on "auto-pilot." Probably standard practice for them to draw up non-competes.

Do you know of any other locations where Mickey D's has done this?  I can't think of one.  Mickey D's is usually nestled in with a shitload of other grease pits, diners, and what have you...

And...did the Dog Wagon exist at the time of this supposed non-compete clause?  Mustn't be too restrictive for that joint to do business in the Plaza. 
That or McD's sees them as "non-competition." ;D

Similar to the "Ask Bobby" thread, maybe someone should "Ask Michael."
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tony la

For what it is worth.  If I was doing the leasing for Mcd, I would absolutely try for a noncompete with my first offer.  I'm pretty sure it is their standard operational procedure to ask that in a lease offer.  I would probably ask for dedicated parking for Mcd only.   Maybe even the first 5 years with no triple net.  If they said no, I would still take the property because it is a solid location.

Cook county has many offices they lease in many buildings in the area and they are pretty much sweetheart deals with the owners.

There is a guy named Bill Cellini who has made a fortune in the state of Illinois by buying and building office buildings in the state with leases already done before the building is out of the ground.  They are sweetheart deals.  Com Ed and a few other utilities are pretty good for that.

Many people may or may not know that there was a restaurant in that same location over 40 years ago that flourished without a noncompete lease. 

I'm not saying this is a sweetheart deal.  But it is a deal that is killing that plaza if everything what has been said is true. 
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bear

Cellini will go down with the Blago deal, he is the main prize.
Fitzgerald has him by his gonads. Another example of
fat, sassy, and stupid. Songs will be sung pretrial.
"Yo, Adrian...I did it for youse."
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

tony la

Not to change the subject but  Cellini is a prime example of how real estate and corrupt politics can make you a fortune.  This guy owns a ton of office space in the state, all leased to different state departments in sweetheart deals. 

Imagine you having the inside knowledge that a state agency is in need of say 100,000 sf of office space and you have the inside track on not only acting as the leasing agent but the landlord also.  This guy has been allegedly doing this for over 40 years.  If you look at who he  gives money to it is everybody.

The information out in the open is nothing compared to the stuff that no one sees.

The guy is in his late 70's. But his whole family is in the business with him.  He has gone way past what I am talking about now.   
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

OakParkSpartan

Back in the 80's, I remember reading about him leasing property to the state.  It could have been purchased several times over for the sweetheart deal he got.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mailman7

Quote from: mailman7 on April 29, 2009, 10:09:42 AM
Quote from: tony la on April 28, 2009, 04:50:22 PM
Slime, 

Not blame anyone for anything.....just trying to bounce some ideas off each other and maybe come up with something no one else thought of.

We all have Berwyn's best at heart.  Attacking any one of us is not moving in a good direction. 

You have to admit we have some unique people on this forum.  I learn much from everyone here.  Even the ones I don't like. 

Your comment about Flight sort of seems accusatory!

What do you know about commercial leases?

I think slime summed it up!

You have a company paying taxes, viable business. You (with obviously zero commercial expertise from your comments) think you know what or if mcdonalds is a good deal. you know the old saying about opinions? You think you know more than Michael Flight? Please!

OPS...So let me guess. Everytime I come on here and post my thoughts on this "public" forum and God forbid I disagree with Mr. La, that's considered as stalking and personally attacking him? Please explain how what I said is stalking.

My best wishes are at heart when it comes to this community. I just have issues with people who "think" they know everything. When Mr. La makes accusations against certain people on here, it's ok, BUT the second someone comes on and challenges Mr. La, you get threatened and or booted. I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

My comment about the Cermak Plaza was sincere. You have someone looking to possibly move a business into this town and certain people want to "attack" the Cermak Plaza again. If there was no McDonalds there, then they would be complaining that there's no McDonalds. People have bitched on here before at how bad the old Walgreens looks and now that they made an improvement they still want to complain. You want to talk about certain businesses moving in there, then go get them if you know so much. That's my suggestion to Mr. La. I don't see businesses banging down the door to move in there. Is it the Cermak Plaza's fault because Circuit City went out of business? What about Service Merchandise. What about the fact that Walgreens wanted to make a bigger and better facility, plus the enhancement of the property? Now you have some vacancies. OPS...you're the first one to use the economy as an excuse as to why we can't find something for Oak Park and Cermak and you have been noted on here defending O'Connor and the economy. If you're going to run a "non-bias" site here, then why not just let people talk and discuss their opinions? People are attacking others here all the time, yet for some reason you feel a need to personally protect Mr. La.
Just imagine that when you're done protesting, you'll still be unemployed ... GET OFF YOUR ASS and GET a JOB!

OakParkSpartan

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

cozynite

offtopic

MMB, you should look into both the Depot District and Ogden Ave.  The DD is definitely getting some foot traffic during the day, thanks to places like Over the Rainbow and Tonini's Italian Market.  At night, Olive or Twist and James Joyce bring in a good amount of business, as well as La Notte.  We definitely need more businesses in the DD.  Also, parking is ample at night and on the weekends.  During the day it's a bit of a pain, but that should ease up a bit whe the parking garage is complete.

Ogden Ave also has a myriad of businesses.  Both foot and car traffic is heavy.  You may have a problem with parking, but that depends on if you will be in a strip mall or not. 

Also, since more and more people from the Chicago neighborhoods are moving in, you will get a lot more foot traffic.  Walk into OoT on a Sat afternoon -- 2 cars outside, 15 people at the bar because most of them walk over. 

I personally think that the DD is a better choice.  It's a little more confined than Ogden Ave.  Good parking.  It will help the other businesses, which you want because that can only help you too.
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

Bonster

Quote from: cozynite on April 30, 2009, 12:46:36 PM
Also, since more and more people from the Chicago neighborhoods are moving in, you will get a lot more foot traffic.  Walk into OoT on a Sat afternoon -- 2 cars outside, 15 people at the bar because most of them walk over.   

Great point.  I've never NOT had parking for OoT, even when the joint's packed.
James Joyce on the other hand...

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"