Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

INPUT FROM ALL NEEDED!!! Possible Business Location Move

Started by MMB, April 26, 2009, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

Quote from: Hogzilla on April 27, 2009, 02:56:02 PM
As long as it's not a methadone clinic, I'm all for new business coming to the Depot.

What if it's a drive-thru?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

tony la

This is a little out of the box.  What would be so wrong with a restaurant opening up in the plaza. 

Home Run Inn comes to mind.  Genos East.  Pompai?  any one of these restaurants will make it there. 

Many  have been put in big strip malls.  How many people go past that intersection in a week. 

One good solid establishment will revitalize that whole area, and I think many of the other stores in the plaza will benefit.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Ana

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

tgoddess

As long as McDonald's is there, no other restaurants will be opening in Cermak Plaza.  You can thank the Plaza management for that--that's the deal they cut.  Just more people who don't live here and don't give a crap about Berwyn.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

tony la

I did not know that........ We need to remember that the next time Flight starts crying about the problems he has leasing space.

Think about it.  You are going to limit the amount of tenants who you rent to because of one tenant.  Restaurants probably make up at least 25% or more of available space on Cermak road.  Now you are going to give that up for one tenant who would probably take the space anyway.  Why would they not change the language of that lease to be limited to specific franchises like Burger King, and so forth.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bear

Non competes are common all over. I know a gal who has a cafe
at 75th and Lemont road, same deal there save for the stand alone
Home Run Inn.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Great. 
So we're stuck with McDonald's ONLY in that plaza for the foreseeable future?
I'm lovin' it.

BRoWN

When that McDonalds moved in there were still grills at Walgreens and Murphys....if my memory is right. That non-compete lease must have been signed later with the newer management. BTW-It may be only a five year lease.   

Terri

McDonald's non-compete is for a ridiculous number of years. Leases on the smaller stores like Discover is something like twenty. I'll see if I can find the info in my notes.

@Tony,
McDonald' change their lease, that's funny.

BRoWN

Yeah Terri ....check it out. I'll admit I'm often full of shit. I just want to eat popcorn and watch Berwyn go after Ronald McDonald. McDonalds may not even care about the clause anymore. They're probably more interested in non compete employee contracts.....ya can't have kids stealing their thousand island recipe.

tony la

Quote from: Terri on April 28, 2009, 11:31:04 AM
McDonald's non-compete is for a ridiculous number of years. Leases on the smaller stores like Discover is something like twenty. I'll see if I can find the info in my notes.

@Tony,
McDonald' change their lease, that's funny.

I'm sorry Terri.  What I meant was why would they not change the lease offer before they signed it.   They still would have taken that location.  If they would say no,  don't you think someone else would say yes.  Walgreen's would have been all over that piece if it was available at the time.  Burger King, and even without the incentives, Chile's would have a superior location better than what they have now.

That is one of the best locations in the area.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

tony la

Corporations get carried away with some of their contracts.  I had a real estate company the was selling their building and business to another real estate company.  Because the buyer had a side business with phone card sales, and distribution, they put in the contract a non-compete with phone cards.  Which the seller did not even know what a phone card was.  The deal got done.  But really the two different businesses had nothing to do with each other.  They just sometimes over do it. 
WWW.TONYLA.NET

BRoWN

I'd certainly like to know what exactly this non-compete says. Does it say "any restuarant?" What about donut shops, cafes, delis, Pizza, BBQ,  Mex food, Etc Etc etc.   Does it include indoor playgrounds? McDonalds latest BS is to step on the Starbucks model. They've tried McRibs.....even McPizza .....and failed.  This actually is a huge obstacle leasing the plaza space. I wonder if the owner and management wants out of this ASAPin these tough economic times. That's a gateway to Berwyn!  That non-compete needs to be flushed down the McToilet.     

PamF

Why should McDonald's prevail if it is a non-QSR (quick service restaurant)?  Boy, whatever lawyer on the Plaza side that agreed to that stipulation ought to be let go.  No wonder the Plaza is a pit these days.  Used to be such a wonderful shopping destination back in the day.

Bonster

McRibs didn't fail; they're seasonal...and good!  I could go for one now.

So how does the Dog Wagon figure in to this non-compete clause?  

Dog Wagon gyro

Bear

Plaza management should show some nads. I doubt
Mickey D would pull out over a non renewal of a non compete.

However I highly doubt that there are any restaurant entities
wanting to get into the plaza.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

So...was the Dog Wagon grandfathered in, or is the non-compete only for free-standing structures on property?

Mike?

BRoWN

The seasonal McRib is a marketing ploy. They've created a demand for a sandwich that would not last if on the menu all the time. Its overpriced and has NO RIBS! That sandwich is a  quick trip to the McToilet. Who knows wtf those are made of. 

OptimusSlime

Tony La can't sell a house let alone complete a commercial lease. 

The McDonalds lease was signed back in 1982.  The lease is recorded on the property.  Go look it up before you shoot your month off. Ground leases where a tenant builds their own store typically run for 20 years plus a number of options.   There has been a really great piece of land at the corner of Oak Park and Cermak.  Why haven't we put a restaurant there.  There is all kinds of vacant spaces that could be knocked down across the street.  Once again why haven't the retailers been banging on the door?  Back to McDonalds, why is it that every business that is already in Berwyn and doing very well you guys knock.  What is the matter with McDonalds?  Oh that's right - they aren't trendy enough.  My understanding is that this McDonalds does real well, pays sales taxes and doesn't ask for a lot in return.

Bonster

Quote from: BRoWN on April 28, 2009, 02:02:00 PM
The seasonal McRib is a marketing ploy. They've created a demand for a sandwich that would not last if on the menu all the time. Its overpriced and has NO RIBS!

Why would you want ribs on a sandwich?
If it is a marketing ploy and they keep bringing it back I'd hardly consider it a failure.
By that standard the Shamrock, Orange (Citrucel), and Egg Nog shakes are failures as well.
Now...The McDLT - that was a failure.

Me, I'd like to see the old McDonald's coke sniffing spoons brought back.