News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

Radiator covers wanted!!

Started by Berlin, January 03, 2009, 08:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berlin

Hello, fellow Berwyners!

I'm looking to buy some wooden or metal radiator covers from any of you who might have switched to forced air and still have some lying around.  Would love to discuss dimensions and price with you at: 708.956.7601!

Thanks!

OICU812

Any luck? These are the Holy Grail of Bungalow owners

jake

These are actually fairly easy to make yourself.  Just MDF, 1x2 Pine, some of the metal screening, and paint- all sold at Home Depot.  There are free plans online.  The only tools needed are a circular saw and drill; I used a compressor with a nail gun but it was not required.  

EC

Have you had any problems with the wood warping? I heard that the heat from the radiator can cause this if the framing is too close to the radiator.

jake

I have had mine in place for quite a few years and no problems at all.  I primed and painted all of the MDF and wood.  I have about an inch of clearance on the top (space between the cover and rad), and 1-2 inches on the sides.  In addition, I added some reflective metal sheeting on the inside of the top of the cover to reduce the heat transferred to the wood; I don't think this was needed, but was cheap and easy to do.

EC