Brady rips Quinn over Morton College check

Started by BRoWN, October 25, 2010, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRoWN

Brady rips Quinn over Morton College check

October 25, 2010

BY DAVE McKINNEY AND ABDON M. PALLASCH Staff Reporters
Gov. Quinn faced fire from his GOP rival Bill Brady Monday for cutting a $5 million state construction check to Morton College in Cicero one week after Cicero Town President Larry Dominick endorsed Quinn for governor.

"Unfortunately, every day Pat Quinn looks more and more like the former reformer. This looks like just another example," Brady spokeswoman Patty Schuh said. "He's doled out state-paid grants after getting political endorsements, he cut backroom deals with taxpayer money and then took millions from those who benefitted, he's kept Rod Blagojevich's hand-picked officials and gave secret pay raises to his inner circle."

Quinn shook his head at the suggestion that a construction grant to a community college could amount to any form of "payback" for getting the backing of the mayor of the town the college is located in.

"It's for a college," Quinn said. "Larry Dominick is president of the Town of Cicero, I've known him a long time. There's no connection whatsoever. I believe in community colleges. I taught community college at night."

The funds from the state's $31 billion statewide construction program will go toward replacing Morton's campus heating and cooling systems and upgrading campus security, lighting and fire alarm systems.

Quinn said he had been visiting other community colleges around the state, including Harper and South Suburban Community College.

"We are just lucky to have 48 community college in Illinois, the envy of the nation, third largest community college system in the country," Quinn said.

Pressed to name his accomplishments in 17 years in the state Legislature, Brady often points to his work helping to get Heartland Community College in Normal off the ground.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/2834588,brady-rips-quinn-morton-college-check-102510.article

Bonster

Pay to play, baby, pay to play.

That's fine, if you're remotely effective at what you do.

So Quinn sucks our balls; that's good for us.  At the state level he's abysmal, and Illinois needs help.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"