News:

TOS updated 12/22/05 -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/TOS/

Main Menu

When is barking too much??

Started by Bungalocity, August 13, 2009, 10:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bungalocity

This mutt 1/2 block down the alley I can hear barking at full throttle for sometimes an hour
at a time. Thank GOD  they're not next door I'd lose my mind!

When is barking legally unacceptable?
I don't wanna call the cops on something they're gonna tell me that goes
with the neighborhood....
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain

billyjean

Before you call police, it would be helpful to make some observations.  Don't want to make a federal case out of it, but:

1)  How long is the dog left out in the yard through the day?  What's the pattern?

If for most the day, the dog may be protesting being in the yard for such a long time and wants back in.

You said you can hear for over and hour, and a stable dog should be able to handle an hour unless something is causing it stress.

2)  When the dog is out does it have shade and water?

Without water or shade the dog will get stressed.

3)  Have you taken a walk down there to view the animal to see what he is doing while all this barking is taking place?

It's helpful to try to get a handle on why the dog is barking then you could plan next course of action armed with some information.

You will be more successful with police if you can tell them of a pattern, and any observations that would help in your complaint, like no water or shade, or they throw the dog out there and forget about him, which fosters tremendous stress which may cause obsessive barking.

If the owners are guilty of not providing shade, water, or just abandoning the dog on a daily basis out into the yard, I would confront the owners and tell them that before you report to police you will give them the chance to remedy the situation. 

We don't know if the dog is a pup, prime, or old.  A pup needs time spent and training.  A dog in its prime may have developed obsessive behavior due to years of neglect.  I doubt an old dog would expend the energy.

~LL~

Quote from: Bungalocity on August 13, 2009, 10:42:04 AM
This mutt 1/2 block down the alley I can hear barking at full throttle for sometimes an hour
at a time. Thank GOD  they're not next door I'd lose my mind!

When is barking legally unacceptable?
I don't wanna call the cops on something they're gonna tell me that goes
with the neighborhood....

Call the PD and report the address next time the you hear the dog outside barking for more than 15 minutes.  Either an Animal Control officer or a regular officer will be dispatched (if no AC on duty at the time).  Even with adequate protection from sun/weather and fresh water, no dog should be left outside alone for any length of time to bark and disturb the peace.  Officer will 'advise' the owners that subsequent complaints will result in a citation.  If you feel that the animal is being neglected (which is indicated by the animal being left outside to bark for an hour or more...) or abused in any way -- also call:  Animal Welfare League - Phone: 708.636.8586.  They will conduct an investigation.  I've done this and the results were good -- for the animal.  The animal's owner will not be given your name.  If the case goes to court, Animal Welfare League  their investigators appear on behalf of the animal.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bungalocity

Thanks guys I will say this tho:

The barking at times is absolutely blood-curdling.  It's not exactly across the alley so I'd have to
walk down the alley at least half block and peer into ones yard and observe which I'm really not willing to do.

Thanks for the great info and next time I'll follow a blend of this advice!
"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence and success is sure"...
-Mark Twain