News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Waste Management needs to go!!

Started by berwyn senator, November 06, 2013, 03:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

With the rat problem in Berwyn,over crowded buildings,imagine if someone did not complain? But I guess blight is in the eye of the beholder.

justme

Once again, this is a case of people not seeing the entire city. Maybe WM is perfect is some areas but far from it here! This city lacks consistency with everything: plowing, trash pickup, landscaping...

No way we would tip our WM drivers. If  they were like the old school garbage collectors who got out and manually emptied each can,I could see it. But these guys never get out and when it's pickup day, you can always tell because the cans are scattered all over the alley and there's garbage/papers flying all over. Between that and having to call because they didn't pick up? Forget that. We are overpaying for garbage pick up the way  it is.

And it was mentioned about people trying to shove a week's worth of trash in one bag (per bag pricing). Well again take a drive around and you see that anyway. It's called overcrowding.

Roger

justme:  I would bet my life that not one person who frequents this forum is the least bit surprised that you don't give the drivers anything for Christmas.

buzz

Quote from: berwyn senator on February 16, 2014, 03:03:19 PM
With the rat problem in Berwyn
Relax, they're the harmless drive-by rats.

I don't know what area you live in but they aren't even baiting around here.  They have to post warning signs (req'd by law ) and there ain't any.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

buzz

Quote from: justme on February 16, 2014, 05:50:13 PM
We are overpaying for garbage pick up the way  it is.
Really ?
You've done all the appropriate price comparisons for "take all" service in the suburbs ?

berwyn senator

The system appears to be working in western suburbs,and in many surrounding states.I would fear a mess in Berwyn,garbage all over the alleys people trying to bypass the system.Look whats going on today single family homes converted to three flats,paying taxes and garbage for the single family home. 

justme

Quote from: Roger on February 16, 2014, 06:07:55 PM
justme:  I would bet my life that not one person who frequents this forum is the least bit surprised that you don't give the drivers anything for Christmas.

Oh as that supposed to be a burn? Oh boo hoo. You hurt my feelings. Boy you sure told ME.

Yep, everyone is all tough guy behind the keyboard but show up at leather night Touche and let's see what you are made of.

(But we DO tip our mailman $30 for Xmas so screw you)

justme

Quote from: berwyn senator on February 16, 2014, 10:00:09 PM
The system appears to be working in western suburbs,and in many surrounding states.I would fear a mess in Berwyn,garbage all over the alleys people trying to bypass the system.Look whats going on today single family homes converted to three flats,paying taxes and garbage for the single family home.

Exactly. And not only do they pay garbage for single family, but water as well.

It's a losing battle tho because people some people here are convinced that doesn't happen in Berwyn

berwyn senator

I can tell by the responses none are long time residents.Cicero and Berwyn have always had a rat problem some areas worse than others.Why are covers required on cans? why is excess garbage only to be put out the night before pick up? With the over crowding both towns need to control the problem,which they do. Does anyone know where the large concentration of rats came from?

Bonster

Quote from: justme on February 17, 2014, 06:59:10 AM
Yep, everyone is all tough guy behind the keyboard but show up at leather night Touche and let's see what you are made of.

Every night is leather night there.     
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

buzz

Quote from: berwyn senator on February 17, 2014, 11:00:32 AM
I can tell by the responses none are long time residents.Cicero and Berwyn have always had a rat problem some areas worse than others.Why are covers required on cans? why is excess garbage only to be put out the night before pick up? With the over crowding both towns need to control the problem,which they do. Does anyone know where the large concentration of rats came from?
All cities have a rodent population.  In the 25 yrs. I've lived here we've had 1 big push to bait for rodents and that was around O'Connor's administration.  It worked; now we're on maintenance.  The most troublesome areas are always near restaurants and food stores. 
The problem is no worse today than it was in the 50's, it's just more of your exagerations and complaining.
Who did you report your rodent problem to ?  Where/which alleys are posted as baited ? 

berwyn senator

Here we go again! lets now hear the truth,rats became a big problem when the garbage dump was half ass filled and turned into Bel-Air Drive In on 31St. and Cicero Ave. Hawthorne in Cicero was very bad,many young children were bitten as the slept.The population moved west into parts of Berwyn,the south end already had a problem which came from the river and sanitary district.The rat problem was much worse in the 50's!! they are under control now,but how can one tell?Coming home late at night occasionally rats can be seen  running when the head lights hit them in the alley.O'Connor was not the only Mayor to poison rats,lets go back to the 70'sand 80's.Call it why you want Prove me wrong!!!!!

dukesdad

QuoteDoes anyone know where the large concentration of rats came from?

Somehow, I just knew you were going to tell us.

berwyn senator

justme

Quote from: B o n s t e r on February 17, 2014, 12:40:04 PM

Tis true  ;)

berwyn senator

What am I missing? leather night where?

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I wonder how many people actually give their garbage man anything for Christmas.  Are you talking cash, a bottle, a little something from Bath and Body Works (that would probably be the most apropos considering their profession).  They are paid to do their job - they are not in the service industry where people rely on tips.  To be honest, if I have something a little bigger than they would normally take I do wait until I hear the trucks and go out there and give them a little something to grease their palms to take it.   But, when it comes to just regular garbage pickup I don't think anymore should feel like a miser if they don't get the garbageman a Christmas present.  Same goes for the postman.  That's ridiculous.

justme

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on February 17, 2014, 05:53:21 PM
I wonder how many people actually give their garbage man anything for Christmas.  Are you talking cash, a bottle, a little something from Bath and Body Works (that would probably be the most apropos considering their profession).  They are paid to do their job - they are not in the service industry where people rely on tips.  To be honest, if I have something a little bigger than they would normally take I do wait until I hear the trucks and go out there and give them a little something to grease their palms to take it.   But, when it comes to just regular garbage pickup I don't think anymore should feel like a miser if they don't get the garbageman a Christmas present.  Same goes for the postman.  That's ridiculous.

We give to our postman because he is very good-he would be out in weather like tonight delivering. We get a  lot of packages and he always makes sure that he puts them in the yard and if it's raining/snowing, he will put them in plastic bags,etc. He always takes a lot of extra care with our delivery so he deserves it.

Ted

LOL.... I haven't been there in decades but it was also a place for bears to hang out.  I think Friday used to be bear's night. 

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on February 17, 2014, 08:26:29 PM

LOL.... I haven't been there in decades but it was also a place for bears to hang out.  I think Friday used to be bear's night.

You may be right.  Every time I went there it was late and I was

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"