News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Game ON!

Started by watcher, October 28, 2011, 07:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watcher

How the hype from last night's insanity helps the ratings. It's been a very, very baseball series through six games.

Go Cardinals!
"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

Bonster

You're cheering the NL?  Thought you were a sox fan?

GAME six was exciting because of the bad, bad baseball played and horrific managing on both sides.

The Rangers looked more like the Texas Cubs giving that game away, too.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on October 29, 2011, 08:46:52 AM

hahahaha....my sentiments exactly!

Why on earth would a fan of an AL team be rooting for the NL Cardinals?

Unless of course it has a weeeee bit something to do with a certain COMPLEX!!! LOL!!!!

Sorry lot.

QuoteThe Rangers looked more like the Texas Cubs giving that game away, too.

BIGGEST CHOKE JOB in the HISTORY of BASEBALL....BAR NONE....2011 Texas Rangers!
No friggin goats, no Greek priests, no curses, no "occurrences", no Bartman, simply put CHOKE!!!!

This should put all the nonsense about the Cubs being "cursed" or being "chokers" to bed. Far better teams than the '03 Cubs have blown FAR BETTER opportunities to win a WS than the North Siders.

It should also put to rest the utter garbage nonsense about AL "superiority".

Three consecutive WS and ALL star game wins for the National League.

watcher

GAME six was exciting because of the bad, bad baseball played and horrific managing on both sides.

After 180+ games, this series capped off a baseball season. Game 6 was pure baseball. It's why they play the games. Otherwise, why not just hand the Commissioner's trophy to the Yankmes every year?

Throw the ball, catch the ball, hit the ball. And they say golf is a humbling sport?

Redemption is only a swing, catch or throw away, but so is Durham-hood.

Game Seven; 2 runs score without a batter making contact. That's baseball. Never bad.

Pitchers and catchers report in 108 days!

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

tony la

I don't think i have  ever see three blown saves by one team, in one game.
Tony LaMonica  Broker 1998 Hall Of Fame
Prudential RUBLOFF 708-795-5000
Director Chicago Association of Realtors
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

Quote from: watcher on October 29, 2011, 01:18:37 PM

After 180+ games, this series capped off a baseball season. Game 6 was pure baseball. It's why they play the games. Otherwise, why not just hand the Commissioner's trophy to the Yankmes every year?

Throw the ball, catch the ball, hit the ball. And they say golf is a humbling sport?

Game Seven; 2 runs score without a batter making contact. That's baseball. Never bad.

Pure baseball?  Riiiiiiiight.  Problem is, they didn't "throw the ball, catch the ball, hit the ball," and the game management was on par with a Spring Training game.   Lots of Durham-hood on display in Game 6.   Playing the outfield in with two on, up by two?  Really??   As much as I loved the last day of the season this year with all the possible WC play-in scenarios (THAT was baseball), the Yankmees and Phillies would have put on a much better exhibition of "pure baseball."  The wild card has proven over and over that the best teams don't always make it to the big dance (and hasn't yet helped the Cubs get there).   Similar to the Bears gift to the Packers, the Cards were one Carlos Marmol wild pitch away from sitting out; I think he should be given a ring for his efforts!

Was this entertaining?  Sure!  But some of the most enjoyable games during the season are between non-contenders.

watcher

Quote from: tony la on October 29, 2011, 01:36:41 PM

And now you can NEVER say that again.

Bonster

Quote from: watcher on October 29, 2011, 01:52:23 PM
Quote from: tony la on October 29, 2011, 01:36:41 PM

And now you can NEVER say that again.

Unless you're really counting Ogano letting StL tie it up in the 6th you saw two blown at the end, which isn't really uncommon at all. 

There should have been none; the first one was a routine fly out at the warning track.  Little league management at its finest.

The Jackal

Quote from: Bonster on October 29, 2011, 01:39:58 PM
Quote from: watcher on October 29, 2011, 01:18:37 PM

Pure baseball?  Riiiiiiiight.  Problem is, they didn't "throw the ball, catch the ball, hit the ball," and the game management was on par with a Spring Training game.   Lots of Durham-hood on display in Game 6.   Playing the outfield in with two on, up by two?  Really??   As much as I loved the last day of the season this year with all the possible WC play-in scenarios (THAT was baseball), the Yankmees and Phillies would have put on a much better exhibition of "pure baseball."  The wild card has proven over and over that the best teams don't always make it to the big dance (and hasn't yet helped the Cubs get there).   Similar to the Bears gift to the Packers, the Cards were one Carlos Marmol wild pitch away from sitting out; I think he should be given a ring for his efforts!

Was this entertaining?  Sure!  But some of the most enjoyable games during the season are between non-contenders.

This is the problem with the baseball playoffs.

You play 162 games.....only to run the risk of losing a FIVE game series (3 games) and being out of it altogether irrespective of what you did in the regular season?

That's absurd.

And why is one series five games and the other two seven?

Then again, this is the sport that has half the league playing under one set of rules and the other half playing under another......not to mention playing an unbalanced schedule and determining WS home field advantage based on one single exhibition game. American logic at its finest.

tony la

@ bonster.  It was 3 blown saves/ very uncommon for any one game. Only happened once in WS history
WWW.TONYLA.NET

watcher

Quote from: tony la on October 31, 2011, 01:51:35 PM
@ bonster.  It was 3 blown saves/ very uncommon for any one game. Only happened once in WS history

Technically, It's only TWO. one in 9th, one in 10th by Rangers pitchers. Mark Lowe took the loss.

A blown save (abbreviated BS or B) is charged to a pitcher who enters a game in a situation which permits him to earn a save (a save situation or save opportunity), but who instead allows the tying run to score.

tony la

and blown save. Tying run scored in the ninth....BS Feliz 1/  BS in the 10th to Oliver2/  BS and L to Lowe in the 11......3.  He gets both distinctions.  Blown saves any way you look at it.  And it is very unusual.  The most saves ever given up in a ML game is four.  It was only done once since 1969.  And yes, you guessed it, it was our beloved Cubs who were the winner in that one against Houston Astros.
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on October 31, 2011, 04:02:59 PM
and blown save. Tying run scored in the ninth....BS Feliz 1/  BS in the 10th to Oliver2/  BS and L to Lowe in the 11......3.

There was no BS in the 11th; the game was tied going into the 11th.

tony la

Bon I hate to say this but you are right.  Almost every newscaster, newspaper, and internet site has that as 3 blown saves, from St. Louis to Arlington. 
WWW.TONYLA.NET

Bonster

Quote from: tony la on October 31, 2011, 06:03:09 PM
Bon I hate to say this but you are right.  Almost every newscaster, newspaper, and internet site has that as 3 blown saves, from St. Louis to Arlington. 

I wasn't referring to the 3 blown saves; I was just stating there was no blown save in the 11th inning.

The were 3 blown saves credited in that game as per the loosened definition (save opportunity), but the eye test tells you there were really 2.