3/29/07 Special Council Meeting

Started by OakParkSpartan, March 30, 2007, 10:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

I guess where I am at Terri is given the state of our finances, are we duplicating services? 

Why are you surprised other towns send their seniors to social services agencies?  My gut tells me organizations that exist to deliver services to seniors are probably better and more efficient at it than one person (or two) in each city.

But I really don't know what the guy does, other than stories related by other folks.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

Brian,

Honestly because I'm not a senior yet and thank goodness our family helps my mom so I have never had the need.  We do know people are living longer so the need must be out there.  Some agencies charge clients and the Advocate is a city service.  If social services are duplicated it should be looked into but I don't know that answer. 

Terri

Cogito

Quote from: Terri on March 31, 2007, 05:07:59 PM
The seniors were not pleased when the trips were taken away but remember the drug forfeiture monies were used for funding because it was illegal to do so.
What was illegal?
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

apatriot

I'm a little confused about this because I know the real grunt work is volunteer, so what's wrong with that?

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Terri on March 31, 2007, 05:28:30 PM
Brian,

Honestly because I'm not a senior yet and thank goodness our family helps my mom so I have never had the need.  We do know people are living longer so the need must be out there.  Some agencies charge clients and the Advocate is a city service.  If social services are duplicated it should be looked into but I don't know that answer. 

Terri

I'd say we're at the same point...I don't know what the services offered are...nor if there are other agencies out there that do similar tasks.  To me, the first blush look indicates that *someone* is filling these needs in other communities. 

Might be a good research project for someone :)

CHeers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Curious George

@Curious,
The person who told you Frank the Sr. Advocate is pt has the wrong information, he works full-time.  Most management/salaried employees work far more than 40 hours per week.  If I have time, I can search the Government statistics

Terri,

I understand that they probably work more than 40 hours a week, but to be going into City Hall on a Saturday and/or Sunday so late at night?  I am talking 7,8,9 & 10 pm.  Curious minds want to know why?

Northsider--NOT Northside 7

Quote from: Terri on March 31, 2007, 02:40:39 PM
Frank the Senior Advocate works full-time and taught at St. Rita.  I do know he is working on a senior housing study and obtained $40,000 from MacNeal to help fund the 2 transport vans.  He has coffee/meetings for seniors to meet our Senator and State Reps., sits on the board of the Berwyn-Cicero Council of Aging and two at MacNeal.  Frank also does hospital visits, sometimes the seniors are alone, no family in the area.  My neighbor had a problem with her brother who lives with elderly parents and she said he was very helpful.  

That's what I know about our Senior Advocate.  

Terri

My pastor does that kind of stuff.
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on March 30, 2007, 03:09:27 PM
1 hiree for  PW dept.  Senior  advocate is still here.  Nothing  new  for the FD, other  than the shared dispatcher.

We are sort of $90k  or  so in  the black, but several million in the red if we do not refinance a bond.  Ald. Chapman made this point towards the end of the meeting.

I'm not sure what the plans are for the new north end firehouse...it was not in the budget, but I think it is on the wishlist.

Lobby for it.

Cheers,
Brian
How much do aldermen make anyways? do they get benefits?
Clowns to left of me; Jokers to the right; Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

Berwyn Patsy

Oh, let me answer this one.  Alderman make $10,000 a year and have a $5,000 expense account.  Some still choose to use free city gas pumps, at least less then they all used to. Free Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO health Insurance.
The free insurance was given as a perk a long time ago.  These issues have all come up before and have been thrashed to death by this board.  Nothing has changed to the best of my knowledge.

OakParkSpartan

Alderman Weiner suggested Thursday night that if people really wanted to save some money, they'd seriously look at reducing/removing the $100k per year we spend on aldermatic health insurance.

I don't think anyone even acknowledged him.

Until you get people up there that don't need the city insurance, things will not change.

I also wonder what the policy is on part-time employees and insurance coverage (and what constitutes part-time).

Cheers,
Brian

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Brian,

You hit the nail right on the head. Insurance coverage is one of those "hidden" costs that burns a hole in taxpayers pocket.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 01, 2007, 10:00:25 AM
Oh, let me answer this one.  Alderman make $10,000 a year and have a $5,000 expense account.  Some still choose to use free city gas pumps, at least less then they all used to. Free Blue Cross/Blue Shield PPO health Insurance.
The free insurance was given as a perk a long time ago.  These issues have all come up before and have been thrashed to death by this board.  Nothing has changed to the best of my knowledge.
Anybody who has free health insurance at thier full time job let alone their part time job please raise your hand. :o :oink:

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

One more reason why I think Weiner is one of the best Berwyn aldermen in recent memory.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Count DMC

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 01, 2007, 10:29:42 AM
Alderman Weiner suggested Thursday night that if people really wanted to save some money, they'd seriously look at reducing/removing the $100k per year we spend on aldermatic health insurance.

Until you get people up there that don't need the city insurance, things will not change.

I also wonder what the policy is on part-time employees and insurance coverage (and what constitutes part-time).

Cheers,
Brian

If you only knew the half of the insurance fiasco.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Count DMC on April 01, 2007, 09:46:39 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 01, 2007, 10:29:42 AM

Cheers,
Brian

If you only knew the half of the insurance fiasco.

Do tell...

Berwyn Patsy

This is one of the city issues I have about given up on, and as you can guess, I rarely give up on anything!!
This has been discussed a million times, and I think the majority of the Alderman think it is not right to take away a perk.
Too bad, so sad, isn't it??
Brian is right that waste of money will not go away until we get employees who do not need health Ins.
I can only guess, but I would have to agree with the count, on what must be a fiasco involving city Ins. benefits.

cozynite

Quote from: Northsider on April 01, 2007, 09:36:22 PM

Anybody who has free health insurance at thier full time job let alone their part time job please raise your hand. :o :oink:

I do!  I do!  :coreyhart:  It is a full time job and no, I do not work for the government.
"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
-- Mao Tse-Tung

Chancellor

For elected local government officials to get health insurance as part of holding office is highly unusual.  Seems like a huge waste.

OakParkSpartan

You are also union.

Most businesses these days find it too expensive to offer full coverage.  I pay around $150/mo for my wife and I. That's medical only (dental and vision are like $40/mo).

Cheers,
Brian

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Chancellor on April 02, 2007, 11:09:11 AM
For elected local government officials to get health insurance as part of holding office is highly unusual.  Seems like a huge waste.

If their position is full time (like the Mayor and Clerk), I have no problem with that. Part-timers period should not be provided coverage (I'm ok with them purchasing coverage via the group).

Cheers,
Brian