News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

3/29/07 Special Council Meeting

Started by OakParkSpartan, March 30, 2007, 10:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Its rare for employers to provide health insurance for part-time employees, unless the employee opts to pay for it through the employers plan.  The insurance issue stinks big time and it is one of those issues that needs to be reviewed.  BTW, the budget is on-line via the new website. 

Terri

Count DMC

Why doesn't someone ask the Mayor or some of the alderman why he is holding on to the insurance agent holdover from the last administration? I believe his initials are V.B. It would seem a more feasible new plan was submitted to the council and the Mayor with a huge savings(upwards of 1mil /yr) over the current insurance agent fee structure,and no change in benefits. The Insurance agent for the city then files with the carrier for the city(BCBS) a document stopping any information from being given to any other broker who might want to bid on the insurance for the city. Sound a bit strange? It does to me, but it was done with the knowledge of the Mayor and a select few alderman. Yet patronage seems to have reared it's ugly head again.

Now before you go and try to shoot holes in this story, it was relayed to me by two different members of two different Unions that are in the City. Both told exactly the same way with all of the major players being the same.

With the same bottom line, the Mayor and his council are full of it.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Berwyn Patsy

Count, you really do bring out the worse in me!  My answer which of course is my opinion, is deals, deals and more deals!!

Count DMC

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 02, 2007, 05:31:26 PM
Count, you really do bring out the worse in me!  My answer which of course is my opinion, is deals, deals and more deals!!

Yes the deals are there, and to benefit who I might ask. And yet Mayor McCheese would have you believe this administration is above reproach and nothing like the old one. Ah well enjoy your time McCheese, it is running short.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

What makes me happy is that in the past, people wouldn't have known about these alleged happenings.  I still don't know if they are true or not, but it makes you pay a little closer attention next time the insurance coverage comes up.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Count DMC

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 02, 2007, 09:30:18 PM
What makes me happy is that in the past, people wouldn't have known about these alleged happenings.  I still don't know if they are true or not, but it makes you pay a little closer attention next time the insurance coverage comes up.

Cheers,
Brian

The question comes up next month as the current contract for services ends, will the City patronize again? Or will they save the tax payers money and get someone from the outside?  My thought is business as usual!
Rejoice folks your tax dollars are re-habbing a nice home in Riverside for the current insurance broker for the city. Hmmm I can take their money, kick some back and not live in that hell hole of a city? That guy has it made!!! Thanks again McCheese you have done right again!!!

Terri

If the current insurance contract is ending I would expect the city to take bids for new insurance contracts.  When a business has union and non-union employees are the union representatives involved in the bidding or decision making process?   

Terri

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Terri on April 03, 2007, 09:21:52 AM
If the current insurance contract is ending I would expect the city to take bids for new insurance contracts.  When a business has union and non-union employees are the union representatives involved in the bidding or decision making process?   

Terri

I'd hope not Terri.  I'd expect the contracts to lay out what is required, and the administration must abide by those requirements.  There's no reason the union should be evaluating the providers.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

The reason I asked, I have never been a union employee thus am unfamiliar with union negoation process. 

Terri

Count DMC

Quote from: Terri on April 03, 2007, 09:21:52 AM

Terri

You would expect the city to do so, that does not mean that is what is going to happen. Ask around about the current plan and why there is no competition, and why is it that an alderman makes 10k a year yet is cost the city 1500k per month to insure them. The new deal would have cost the city 800 per month, without the referral fee of course. Maybe thats why it's not been taken.

Terri

Quote from: Count DMC on April 02, 2007, 04:36:42 PM
Why doesn't someone ask the Mayor or some of the alderman why he is holding on to the insurance agent holdover from the last administration? I believe his initials are V.B. It would seem a more feasible new plan was submitted to the council and the Mayor with a huge savings(upwards of 1mil /yr) over the current insurance agent fee structure,and no change in benefits. The Insurance agent for the city then files with the carrier for the city(BCBS) a document stopping any information from being given to any other broker who might want to bid on the insurance for the city. Sound a bit strange? It does to me, but it was done with the knowledge of the Mayor and a select few alderman. Yet patronage seems to have reared it's ugly head again.

Now before you go and try to shoot holes in this story, it was relayed to me by two different members of two different Unions that are in the City. Both told exactly the same way with all of the major players being the same.

With the same bottom line, the Mayor and his council are full of it.

Anyone have anything new on this 2 months later?  IMO, this insurance issue is just as important to the taxpayer, as the PW contract. 

Terri

Count DMC

Thanks for reviving this thread Terri.

Berwyn Patsy

So if the Insurance Broker for Berwyn, was convicted of a felony as previously stated in the topic "Public works official hints at strike" thread, wouldn't the state of Illinois Insurance division revoke or suspend his license?
Thus, how would he still be able to do business?