News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Tonight's COW & Council

Started by ~LL~, April 10, 2007, 01:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn Patsy

See, that's what irritates me, why the secrecy pertaining to the Health Ins.?  Why hope no one questions such minor things as the cost of Health Ins. for part time employees?
If  the Mayor and council only realized how much more curiosity and distrust is brought to ones mind, when it appears
they really don't want the public to know where our tax dollars are being spent.
Who do they think they are fooling?

Chancellor

In my opinion, the health insurance coverage issue is not minor -- it is a perq straight out of Blazing Saddles.  And it is particularly egregious given the City's financial condition

OakParkSpartan

So what exactly is the question that you guys are curious about regarding health insurance?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 11, 2007, 02:09:16 PM
Ok, so how many in the audience *really* thought that some anonymous resident gave him this letter?  Is he so stupid to think that we don't see through his games?

He should not be allowed to read an "anonymous" letter!  Whenever we speak up at the mic, we're supposed to give our name and street...so why should he be allowed to read something, from where he does not know?  Garbage.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Curious George

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 11, 2007, 02:38:58 PM
So what exactly is the question that you guys are curious about regarding health insurance?

Cheers,
Brian

Curious minds want to know!

OakParkSpartan

If we can craft a good set of questions, I'll fill out the FOIA request.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

I would like to know more of the selection process City health insurance coverage.  For instance, we watched the bids process for the Landscape Maintenance contracts in the TIF districts last night.  You know the drill, Louise hands the envelopes to Clerk Pavlik, who then reads the bidders names, off they go to open the envelopes, then return to council and read the bids.  A decision is then  made.  I am not certain this process is the same in the selection of health care insurance and I don't know why.  It seems to be a fair question.  

Terri

delbowz

How much is the city paying for coverage of part-time workers?
How many part time workers are covered?
What are the terms of the contract with the insurance company (are there bonus' paid for reaching a certain number of covered employees, etc).

How does the price compare to other companies who bid on the coverage?
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

~LL~

Quote from: Terri on April 11, 2007, 02:01:52 PM
Glad I wasn't the only observer who missed the insurance item.  No doubt it was planned that way.  If anyone was at the COW please detail any discussion about the health insurance, competitive contracts, bids opened? 

I was there for COW.  No discussion regarding any component of health insurance. Perhaps that was done in the 'closed' session portion of the meeting...

Rep. from Comcast   did a 'compare & contrast' presentation -- Comcast vs AT&T for cable.  I cannot recall in what context he made this statement -- but, he said, "Bewyn is 100% digital."  Anyone have an idea what he meant?  

Majority of COW-time was spent in discussion of the revised Sedgewick Agreement.  Here are my half-fast notes. They might make sense to someone who really knows what is going on with this development. I am not that person...

1.$850,000 – paid out in $125,000 per-month increments.  Submittals reviewed for TIF requirements.  If performance does not meet standards – amount would be deducted from monthly amounts.
2. Default to City's having final say on materials used, etc.
3. Control of aesthetics – city would have the right to hold developer in default until remedy was made.

City Attorney, Rich Bruhn –  spoke to full control of dispersing the $850,000 and that Sedgewick not comfortable with that—due to 'the uncertainty'.
City does not have discretion to reject invoice – all decisions must relate to TIF eligibility.  
Suggestion that there be an Owners Rep to oversee the project – could not stop work, but could call City authority to do so.  Cost $100,000 - $200,000, depending on scope of project and depth of involvement.  

Projected completion date of 2009?  (apx 32 months from start construction).
The money is major issue.  Proposal/amendments not ready to be reviewed/approved by Council.  
Escrow and financing must be researched also.

"This document has been so 'lawyered up', I'm tired of looking at it". (Mayor O'Connor re Sedgwick development.)

Lovero called for a 'straw poll' on the proposed amendments to the development.

I forgot who stated that "...perhaps the vote can be done 'contingent upon' financing, structural engineering in place, etc..."

Another suggestion was that a City official should act 'as' owner's rep.

Chapman passes on vote; wants to see more proposals
Weiner:  "O.K." /"...approve proposals and go forward"
Skryd:  No
Phelan:  No
Lovero:  Yes
8th – No

Next up was agenda item called "Wish Lists"
Finance Director came before the Council.

Per Mayor – "...council 'did not have time to review'... defer, again?
Two weeks was the decision.

So much for the wish lists – whatever the f these are?

Historic Preservation Commission:  Mayor invited people to apply by sending resume/letter of interest.

Clerk then interjected that a 'late' solicitation request had come for an Avon Breast Cancer campaign. More intelligible conversation happened regarding whether to approve  that  last-minute solicitation request than happens on matters that directly impact the finances and progress of the city...Good grief!  (I feel the matter never should have been brought into the meeting...or Clerk should  have done research before bringing it in...).

Adjourned at 7:53 PM.

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 11, 2007, 02:09:16 PM
Terri,

I forgot about that reminder. 

Ok, so how many in the audience *really* thought that some anonymous resident gave him this letter?  Is he so stupid to think that we don't see through his games?

Cheers,
Brian

My suspicion started when #8 stated that the 'writer was 'afraid to sign it', but wanted it read before the Council.  If anyone does think the letter was for real, I've got a bridge I'd love to sell to you.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

delbowz

Quote from: LL-Schmidt on April 11, 2007, 03:33:47 PM

Rep. from Comcast   did a 'compare & contrast' presentation -- Comcast vs AT&T for cable.  I cannot recall in what context he made this statement -- but, he said, "Bewyn is 100% digital."  Anyone have an idea what he meant?  

Next up was agenda item called "Wish Lists"
Finance Director came before the Council.

Per Mayor – "...council 'did not have time to review'... defer, again?
Two weeks was the decision.

So much for the wish lists – whatever the f these are?

I think that in refering to Berwyn as 100% digital - the Comcast rep was saying that 100% of Berwyn households and businesses have access to either cable modems or DSL.

Wish lists - the mayor is tyring to get some out of the box thinking - and has asked all his dept. heads and council members - if money weren't an object, what would they like to see done.

Will be interested to see what Council comes up with - as the list I heard from the Dept. heads included new wallpaper and carpeting - and very little to do with improving the town for the citizens of Berwyn.

Thanks for the notes LL and Brian.

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

OakParkSpartan

Sedgwick has had some problems...apparently what they built so far (the bank at Grove and Stanley) did not follow the plans submitted (along with other problems). That is the focus upon aesthetics...Council approved a building that looked nice, they are somewhat fearful of getting a stark concrete bunker (ok, I exaggerate, but you get the point).  They also are PO'ed that Sedgwick has come back for more money.

Cheers,
Brian

Count DMC

Quote from: delbowz on April 11, 2007, 03:26:48 PM
How much is the city paying for coverage of part-time workers?
How many part time workers are covered?
What are the terms of the contract with the insurance company (are there bonus' paid for reaching a certain number of covered employees, etc).

How does the price compare to other companies who bid on the coverage?

I do not believe there is a bonus, but the "referral fee" is definately legal, adn I believe to be very unethical. But what is ethical when dealing with the Council?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Bear

Quote from: Chancellor on April 11, 2007, 02:26:41 PM
In my opinion, the health insurance coverage issue is not minor -- it is a perq straight out of Blazing Saddles.  And it is particularly egregious given the City's financial condition

Mongo love no deductible, no co-pay
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

A.Malina

Quote from: Bear on April 11, 2007, 05:11:22 PM

We've gotta protect our phoney baloney jobs, gentlemen!
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Count DMC

Quote from: Bear on April 11, 2007, 05:11:22 PM

Now you know that is not true, all you have to do is ask your neighbor, I did. Why do you persistantly try to start fires here with your BS? I know that you have a lot of free time on your hands, without full time employment, but couldn't you find something else to do? I mean really you human leach, what are you good for?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Berwyn Patsy

If I am wrong, please someone who knows different please feel free to correct me.  To the best of my knowledge the city has the best Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan money can buy. 1. Its free to the employee. 2. Covers Dental and Vision, and Medication. I am not sure on the % of these items.  No deductible, and no Co-pay.
This is how it always was, is an answer I get a lot when I have asked questions about this policy. It is available to every employee, full or part time family coverage included.
With all the talk of financial troubles, why in Gods name would they continue to foot this enormous bill ?
When the time comes the City of Berwyn will not have a problem in asking for a tax hike, so you can continue to pay every Tom, Dick, and Harry's health coverage.

Terri

I certainly wish this conversation came up before last nights approval.  Patsy, I know it had but I never knew or paid that much attention to the details at the time.  By the sound of the posts, I wasn't the only one. 

Terri

Berwyn Patsy

I have been corrected, although the whole health care issue is still out of control in my opinion.
I' will take the word of my source for the time, unless someone else has different information.
There are deductibles, dental and vision are separate and partially paid for by the employee.  If in network coverage rates are higher then out of network.  Here again, I always think 99% of Docs/hospitals are contracted with BC/BS, who wouldn't want to be the reimbursement is so good.
Bottom line is the Employee, full or part time does not pay toward his Medical part of the Ins. Dental/Vision may be handled differently.
One of my questions being, what jobs are considered part time, and how many hours constitute part -time?

Rizzo

No one paid much attention years ago when health insurance was cheap.  Yes, cheap, all types of companys offered health insurance to their employees as a benefit.  Of course healthy workers are less likely to call in sick and more likely to show up.  Then costs began to rise.  Not just health coverage everything has risen substantially, in say the last ten years. 
Why was health coverage a benefit to the worker?  Perhaps, it was cheaper to provide health insurance than offer a pay raise.  Sounds like unions through negotiations with employers may have bargained for 100% health coverage.  What was the cost of a new car ten years ago?  Today's annual cost of insurance for a teenaged driver might have purchased a car ten years ago.  Therefore, was it wise to provide health insurance to all, even part time workers?  It was probably cheap, in the begining, heck all those public works guys are covered why not the alderman?  Even the garbage truck guys are covered.  Whoops, we cut those guys jobs years ago to save money.  Are we still saving on garbage removal? Today, it seems unusual that any american worker would have 100% health coverage.  As far as part time workers being covered would their be a savings? How much savings? If the health insurance benefits were eliminated for the part timers.