News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Tonight's COW & Council

Started by ~LL~, April 10, 2007, 01:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

This being Berwyn, I am sure we will be told that removing part-timers from the insurance pool will actually raise rates, therefore it is a good thing.  Or something similar, which flies counter to everything outside of Berwyn.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

mrs. scoon

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 11, 2007, 05:29:54 PM
If I am wrong, please someone who knows different please feel free to correct me.  To the best of my knowledge the city has the best Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan money can buy. 1. Its free to the employee. 2. Covers Dental and Vision, and Medication. I am not sure on the % of these items.  No deductible, and no Co-pay.
This is how it always was, is an answer I get a lot when I have asked questions about this policy. It is available to every employee, full or part time family coverage included.
With all the talk of financial troubles, why in Gods name would they continue to foot this enormous bill ?
When the time comes the City of Berwyn will not have a problem in asking for a tax hike, so you can continue to pay every Tom, Dick, and Harry's health coverage.

I wish I had that BlueCross/Blue Shield plan!
You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Rizzo

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 12, 2007, 08:17:37 AM
This being Berwyn, I am sure we will be told that removing part-timers from the insurance pool will actually raise rates, therefore it is a good thing.  Or something similar, which flies counter to everything outside of Berwyn.

Cheers,
Brian

I hope that your prediction is only speculative.  It appears clear that change is needed in the health insurance being discussed.  That change needs to result in cost reduction.  How is that accomplished outside of Berwyn? Employee contributions, no insurance for part timers, going out to bid for different providers.  These actions may result in reduced costs.  But, it seems that a tax increase is on the horizon.  The thinking would be to cut off the part timers and obtain employee contributions.  How much would this save?

OakParkSpartan

Who knows how much it would save, as no one knows the numbers.

I think it *would* get Berwyn in line with what are considered standard management practices, which is a good thing IMHO.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Chancellor

Just for some perspective:

Village of Mount Prospect, Illinois (pop. 52,000)
Section 2.102: OATH; SALARY:
Salary: $2,750.00 (trustee) (annual)

City of Park Ridge, Illinois (pop. 37,775)
3-16-2 Salary of Aldermen
The salary of each alderman of the City shall be and is hereby fixed at the sum of one thousand two hundred dollars ($1,200) per annum payable in equal monthly installments.

Village of Oak Park, Illinois (pop. 52,000)
2-1-6: COMPENSATION OF ELECTED OFFICERS:

.   .   .

2. The compensation of Village Trustees shall be six hundred dollars ($600.00) per month or seven thousand two hundred dollars ($7,200.00) per annum. The Village Trustees shall not receive any insurance benefits through the Village.

Rizzo

Quote from: Chancellor on April 12, 2007, 10:52:36 AM

The salary of each alderman of the City shall be and is hereby fixed at the sum of one thousand two hundred dollars ($1,200) per annum payable in equal monthly installments.

.   .   .

2. The compensation of Village Trustees shall be six hundred dollars ($600.00) per month or seven thousand two hundred dollars ($7,200.00) per annum. The Village Trustees shall not receive any insurance benefits through the Village.

Interesting, so how much should Berwyn Aldrmen be compensated? Just curious. 

~LL~

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on April 11, 2007, 03:05:35 PM
If we can craft a good set of questions, I'll fill out the FOIA request.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian:  Perhaps requesting the section of the current COB Personnel Policy that deals with 'benefits' (for "staff" and/or "elected officials") might offer an answer.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Count DMC

Quote from: Rizzo on April 13, 2007, 07:57:27 AM
Quote from: Chancellor on April 12, 2007, 10:52:36 AM

.   .   .

Interesting, so how much should Berwyn Aldrmen be compensated? Just curious. 

At most the position of alderman should be $1000/yr with a gas card and no insurance at all. Why do part time alderman need full time benefits? Most should have coverage through their full time job and should not have to rely on the City for coverage. How many of the sitting alderman actually do have the insurance?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Berwyn Patsy

I know Alderman Weiner does not, last I heard.  I would doubt Michelle Skryd does, her Husband would most likely carry the family, I can't even begin to guess at the rest.
I wonder if any one would carry the Insurance as a secondary to , let's say a spouses Primary Coverage?

~LL~

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 13, 2007, 11:07:53 AM
I know Alderman Weiner does not, last I heard.  I would doubt Michelle Skryd does, her Husband would most likely carry the family, I can't even begin to guess at the rest.
I wonder if any one would carry the Insurance as a secondary to , let's say a spouses Primary Coverage?

I seem to recall that Mark Weiner was about the only Alderperson in favor of "no health insurance for Alderpersons" -- which is really saying something if, indeed, he is not covered through his/his spouse's employer.

~LL~

Bonster

Quote from: Count DMC on April 13, 2007, 11:00:02 AM
At most the position of alderman should be $1000/yr with a gas card and no insurance at all. Why do part time alderman need full time benefits? Most should have coverage through their full time job and should not have to rely on the City for coverage. How many of the sitting alderman actually do have the insurance?
yep...

Count's friend Bear said it all best in the thread LL mentioned:
Quote from: Bear on June 05, 2005, 01:45:17 PM
Mark not taking health coverage may be a drop in the bucket of saving money, but what is important
is what it represents, that being the mind-set of this administration to bring fiscal responsibility front
and center and give the taxpayer the best bang for the buck.

...although you can probably delete the part about this being the mindset of this administration . . .
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Rizzo

Quote from: Bonster on April 13, 2007, 11:50:31 AM
Quote from: Count DMC on April 13, 2007, 11:00:02 AM
yep...

Count's friend Bear said it all best in the thread LL mentioned:
Quote from: Bear on June 05, 2005, 01:45:17 PM
Mark not taking health coverage may be a drop in the bucket of saving money, but what is important
is what it represents, that being the mind-set of this administration to bring fiscal responsibility front
and center and give the taxpayer the best bang for the buck.

...although you can probably delete the part about this being the mindset of this administration . . .

Why bother with any payments $1000.00 annual is way less than minimum wage, right.  A gas card? who needs it.  It looks like we may only elect persons with other full time jobs and full benefits, or business owners, perhaps only employed lawyers and accountants.  These persons would be best, they could then have this hobby job, of being an alderperson.  A very interesting mindset may then emerge.   How does one gauge a mindset in others?  Does one read the others mind?  just curious?       

OakParkSpartan

Rizzo,

Quote from: Rizzo on April 13, 2007, 05:33:32 PM
Why bother with any payments $1000.00 annual is way less than minimum wage, right.  A gas card? who needs it.  It looks like we may only elect persons with other full time jobs and full benefits, or business owners, perhaps only employed lawyers and accountants.  These persons would be best, they could then have this hobby job, of being an alderperson.  A very interesting mindset may then emerge.   How does one gauge a mindset in others?  Does one read the others mind?  just curious?       

The position is part-time TODAY. 

I think most of us are questioning spending(per the budget) over $100,000 per year on 8 part time employees.  $12,500 per year, for a part-time position paying $10,000.  Does something about this strike you as odd?  It sure does to me.

I don't think the desire for cheap health insurance is a qualification most of us think of when considering who we'd like to see guiding the city.

I'm glad the gas key controversy is slowing fading away.  Another crazy perk from the taxpayers of Berwyn.

Cheers,
Brian

Rizzo

OPS, you present good logical reasoning.  It is agreed that cheap insurance should not be the primary motivator for those seeking aldermanic offices.  Yes, it realized that they are part time.  The $100,000.00 annual H Ins is an attractive cost savings measure.  A previous post indicated that Oak Park pays trustees $7,500.00 annually and no H Ins coverage.   Some one else suggested $1000.00 annually.  My reply was that the $1,000.00 annually was below minimum wage.
The council might be interesting if it represented a cross section of citizens motivated by something other than "cheap insurance". It seemed that the theme being presented was that only the affluent might make quality alderpersons.  They, having fulltime professional jobs are more able to take on the hobby of being an alderperson.   

Count DMC

Quote from: Rizzo on April 14, 2007, 05:17:43 AM
OPS, you present good logical reasoning.  It is agreed that cheap insurance should not be the primary motivator for those seeking aldermanic offices.  Yes, it realized that they are part time.  The $100,000.00 annual H Ins is an attractive cost savings measure.  A previous post indicated that Oak Park pays trustees $7,500.00 annually and no H Ins coverage.   Some one else suggested $1000.00 annually.  My reply was that the $1,000.00 annually was below minimum wage.
The council might be interesting if it represented a cross section of citizens motivated by something other than "cheap insurance". It seemed that the theme being presented was that only the affluent might make quality alderpersons.  They, having fulltime professional jobs are more able to take on the hobby of being an alderperson.   

The minimum wage should not be brought into the issue here, the $1000 would be more of a stipend than an actual salary. I would be happy is they were paid not one dime, no benefits or any other perks.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Rizzo

"The minimum wage should not be brought into the issue here, the $1000 would be more of a stipend than an actual salary. I would be happy is they were paid not one dime, no benefits or any other perks." 

Okay, do not bring (minimum wage) in.  Pay the alderpersons nothing.  It is an interesting perception of value though.  It would seem these elected jobs appear to be of low value or hobby jobs.  The pool of persons who might be elected as alderpersons would be restricted only to those who could "afford" the hobby job.  How much effort could be expected of the hobbiest.  Would they even show up for the meetings?  Why bother with even a stipend? But, only the affluent need apply.  They best understand the needs of the community any way.       

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Rizzo on April 14, 2007, 12:30:58 PM
"The minimum wage should not be brought into the issue here, the $1000 would be more of a stipend than an actual salary. I would be happy is they were paid not one dime, no benefits or any other perks." 

Okay, do not bring (minimum wage) in.  Pay the alderpersons nothing.  It is an interesting perception of value though.  It would seem these elected jobs appear to be of low value or hobby jobs.  The pool of persons who might be elected as alderpersons would be restricted only to those who could "afford" the hobby job.  How much effort could be expected of the hobbiest.  Would they even show up for the meetings?  Why bother with even a stipend? But, only the affluent need apply.  They best understand the needs of the community any way.       

Where are you getting this affluent need only apply?  My point is that spending 125%+ of the salary upon benefits for a part-time position is NUTS. 

I want people as aldermen who are interested in helping the community, not their pals and family (or just attempting to stymie any progress whatsoever due to personal vendetta's).

Cheers,
Brian

Rizzo

Where are you getting this affluent need only apply?  My point is that spending 125%+ of the salary upon benefits for a part-time position is NUTS. 

I want people as aldermen who are interested in helping the community, not their pals and family (or just attempting to stymie any progress whatsoever due to personal vendetta's).

Cheers,
Brian

Your point is understood and the Hlth Ins for PT work is unusual.  It may be a good cost cutting measure.

Yes, people who desire to help the community ... would be good alderperson choices.  The affluent comes from a possible limiting of persons who might run for alderperson. 

The pool of candidates may be restricted to those who could afford the hobby job with zero pay. 

The zero pay was presented by someone other than you.  It is likely that people with high pay could campaign for the hobby job and those with lower pay could not.