News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Why Can't Berwyn At Least Provide This?

Started by apatriot, April 13, 2007, 06:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

apatriot

I was visiting the websites of a few neighboring towns and came across the Village of Brookfield's website.  I notice that they at least provide audio of their meetings, and provide full packets to citizens.

http://www.villageofbrookfield.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={4226B02C-36B4-43F3-8AEC-28985C2CAC82}

I would like to see Berwyn institute same, so that we can see what's in the packets (you know, the material the Alderman never read so they have to pass on every issue until they've read it), and provide Audio of the meetings so that we do not have to rely upon the bias and incomplete recaps we receive here.

Inquiring minds want to know, why isn't Berwyn doing same?

Bonster

cuz they'll be too embarrassed!

I have, somewhere in a pile of tapes, a show or two from last year, and I think Brian said he records them nowadays.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: apatriot on April 13, 2007, 06:32:56 PM
I was visiting the websites of a few neighboring towns and came across the Village of Brookfield's website.  I notice that they at least provide audio of their meetings, and provide full packets to citizens.

http://www.villageofbrookfield.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={4226B02C-36B4-43F3-8AEC-28985C2CAC82}

I would like to see Berwyn institute same, so that we can see what's in the packets (you know, the material the Alderman never read so they have to pass on every issue until they've read it), and provide Audio of the meetings so that we do not have to rely upon the bias and incomplete recaps we receive here.

Inquiring minds want to know, why isn't Berwyn doing same?

Apatriot,

Repeat after me...

I am a mushroom. 
I am a mushroom.
I am a mushroom.

We are to be kept in the dark and fed bullshit.

You've obviously been around, do you really think elected officials here WANT the residents to know what is really going on?  Sitting through council meetings, you STILL don't know what they are voting on.  Only way is to FOIA the packet.  Which costs money.  Used to be $.10 per page, now $.25 per page.  Hmmm.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

I would think a good alderman would openly share packets with
constituents who asked for such information. There are those pesky
open meeting laws after all, there is no need to file a FOI, it is
supposed to be available for the public...by law, with no cost.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

apatriot

Brian, transparency in government.  That's what we were promised.  If Brookfield can do it, so can we.  They had no problem scannning in packets and placing them on their website so any resident, or anyone else for that matter, could examine them.

OakParkSpartan

100% agree apatriot.  I've had this very same conversation with the City Clerk several times.

One thing that I have found out is that items to be included in the packet apparently don't need to be email..rather a lot of them submit the paper document.

If it were my decision, all submissions would be via MS Word documents (or a PDF).  I would then combine the documents into one large file, print it, and give it back to the aldermen.  I would then print the document, but rather than on paper, create a PDF, which I'd post on the website.

But that is me...I tend to think information should be made available to people.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

What has Mark W. said about this, if anything?

Berwyn Patsy

What was the City Clerks opinion on this, Brian?

OakParkSpartan

I think he'd eventually like to get there, but given that a bunch of the stuff comes in on paper, I personally don't see it happening for a while.

Cheers,
Brian

Bear

Even if the majority comes in as hard copy, it could be scanned
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Bonster

Even if the majority comes in as hard copy, it could be scanned

yep...browsing Brookfield's packets, it appears quite a few of their documents were scanned...all it takes is a sheet-feeder and it's a fairly simple job.

Rizzo

Village of Brookfield state they are now making these packets available online.  When did they start? Agreed, it is a very good idea

~LL~

Quote from: Rizzo on April 14, 2007, 12:33:46 PM
Village of Brookfield state they are now making these packets available online.  When did they start? Agreed, it is a very good idea

Providing the contents of Brookfield's Trustee packets online is fairly recent (past month or so).  Prior to that, a stack of meeting packets were available in the lobby of Brookfield's Village Hall on the Friday before their meeting (every other Monday) for anyone interested.  I believe this policy has not changed --in order to provide information to those residents who may not have access to a computer.

And, yes -- the contents of the packets are scanned for publication on their website.

And, for what it is worth -- Brookfield has a Village Manager...
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Rizzo

Quote from: LL-Schmidt on April 14, 2007, 05:19:55 PM
Quote from: Rizzo on April 14, 2007, 12:33:46 PM

Providing the contents of Brookfield's Trustee packets online is fairly recent (past month or so).  Prior to that, a stack of meeting packets were available on the Friday before their meeting (every other Monday) in the lobby of Brookfield's Village Hall for anyone interested.

Thanks for the update.

Berwyn Patsy

I will never understand the mentality behind Berwyns closed city non transparent government.  Why, Why Why??
Again why and what would they not want the people to know?? Closed everything, just makes our human natures more curious.

~LL~

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 14, 2007, 05:30:22 PM
I will never understand the mentality behind Berwyns closed city non transparent government.  Why, Why Why??
Again why and what would they not want the people to know?? Closed everything, just makes our human natures more curious.

I once thought the reason might be lack of 'training' as to how to run a city and how to encourage residents to participate in how their city is managed.  Then came the dawn that 'encouraging' residents to participate might not be the desired effect.  So, now I think it is just laziness...it really, truly is not at all hard to provide residents with a meeting packet--either in 'paper' form or online on the website.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 14, 2007, 05:30:22 PM

Power and control.  If people know what you are up to, you may lose both.

Also, I am confident change is happening regarding the packets.  I'm under the impression something good is in the works for this quarter.

Cheers,
Brian

apatriot

In the age of YouTube and websites posting up videos like I put up BT on the IRS subject which is over an hour long, I fail to understand why the Council Meetings cannot be put on video and made available on their website.  I could understand when we really didn't have the technology to make it "easy".  Cameras now offer a hard drive that goes right into the computer, or have a disk that you simply put in the DVD drive and do whatever you want with it.  YouTube I believe can only accommodate 10 min. increments.  But the City's website should be able to handle the video of a council meeting even if you split it into two, three, four, parts to take into account the download factor for viewers.  There is just simply no excuse why this cannot be done.  Not in this day and age.  Citizens should demand it.

OakParkSpartan

apatriot,

Let me just leave it at roughly...some people associated with the city do not want council meetings shown ANYWHERE due to the bad publicity it would bring Berwyn.

Cheers,
Brian

apatriot

Well, if you could name the some people that would be helpful.  Then we could put pressure on the "some people".  It's not what they want, it's what we want dontcha think?  Alderman !!! we want video on the council meetings made available so citiziens can see what is going on.  Everyone that cares about this should send a letter or email telling their respective alderman that we want video.  There is no excuse.