Council & COW tonight -- anyone?

Started by ~LL~, May 08, 2007, 12:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~LL~

Out of morbid curiosity, I will attend to see what the newest development might be regarding the vacant council seat...
COW agenda seems to have more items than I've seen in a while.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

scoon

Quote from: LL-Schmidt on May 08, 2007, 12:53:41 PM
Out of morbid curiosity, I will attend to see what the newest development might be regarding the vacant council seat...
COW agenda seems to have more items than I've seen in a while.

Despite their best efforts to throw things under the table.   :D

Count DMC

I know I posted this before, Mayor McCheese is going to push for the GHOST of Ben Brocato to fill the seat. Duh!!!
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

scoon

That explains the Ouija Board I saw Tom Pavlik buying this morning over at the N Riverside Toys 'R Us.

Berwyn Patsy

When was the agenda posted on the city website?  I looked last night and didn't see it.  It's usually up a few days before the meeting.  I wondered if it purposely was not posted so early , as to not start the usual board conversations on controversial issues that will be discussed?
Do they really think, that would stop us?  LOL.

Berwyn Patsy

LL, glad you will be attending.  I already have a question.  How did the vote go on the handicapped parking request for 3245 S. Grove Ave?  That's the small Medical building in the middle of the block.
Parking is so tight in that area, but I would hope they voted for handicapped parking for that building, they need it.

Terri

Patsy,

The agenda was up for a few days.  Due to the layout of the site, the May agenda/meetings are on the right side next to the April agenda/meetigs.  It could be easy to miss.

Terri

OakParkSpartan

I think that passed Patsy.

The mayor gave everyone a good chuckle when he said "The attorney said three words 'Absolutely Not'"  Even his wife got a good laugh out of that one.

Both the mayor and ald. lavero have enemies, per the mayor. 

Joel was a poster child for the dress code...tie untied, shirt open and untucked...sigh.

Maureen Braccato was not approved (again...how many times will this be voted on???).

Joel "I talk to dead people" Erickson knows what Ben would have wanted.

Non-union employees mostly get a 4% raise.

Park illegally in front of St. Mary of Celle and you will get ticketed...I don't quite get the comments about giving people a break because they are going to church while they break a law...guess we should ask a priest about that...oh, wait...no, I didn't mean it like that.

The lady sitting next to me made rather funny comments about a city hall employee and his pants.

That's mostly it I think.

Cheers,
Brian

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Count DMC

I knew the ghost of the one guy who just died that used to be an alderman would come into play.(notice no names!)

QuotePark illegally in front of St. Mary of Celle and you will get ticketed...I don't quite get the comments about giving people a break because they are going to church while they break a law...guess we should ask a priest about that...oh, wait...no, I didn't mean it like that.

I don't believe making light about the priest scandal is a joke, just ask someone whose family is torn apart by somehting like that. Nice job.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Ted

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 09, 2007, 01:14:37 AM

Both the mayor and ald. lavero have enemies, per the mayor. 

What was the context around that remark?  Why did the mayor say that?

Ted

OakParkSpartan

That was around the discussion about who to appoint as the 5th ward ald.  Both read statements.  Net result is we have (surprise! surprise!) a stalemate.

None of the names proposed are acceptable to a majority. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Also, in COW there was discussion about refinancing the bonds.  Looks like the northside firestation, DD parking garage and streets/alleys are on the "fer sure" list.

This refi could potentially up our debt quite a bit.  However, it reduces the annual payments by about $4M, improving cash flow (and also allowing us to establish a reserve).  If I recall, interest expenses would just about triple to something like ~$40M.

Not sure that I feel that comfortable going into debt further for operation items.

Cheers,
Brian

BPM

Unless you live very close to SM of Celle you don't get the whole picture of the parking issue.
Some things I see on a weekly basis:
parking over the yellow part of the curb.
Parking at both extreme ends of the block, blocking the sidewalk entrance to the cross walk.(basically same as above )
Parking a few feet away from the curb so the already narrow street is now one lane at best.
double parking for extended periods of time. (no lanes now)
There is a parking lot behind the church, go there on a Sunday during a service and see how many cars are there, or not there.
Now if they could just stop tossing their garbage, empty beer bottles and emptying their car ashtrays on my lawn. Believe me this happens. Kindly ask them to stop and you'll get every expletive imaginable, right before they go and be good Christians.
Sounds extreme, again, it happens.

OakParkSpartan

I think most people agree that you should follow the laws for the most part.  Even if you are attending church.  It was also mentioned their parking lot was too long of a walk for people to park there...

Terri

SMC has handicapped parking on the west side of the church unless that has changed.  Why is the parking at SMC a hot topic?  Years ago the city granted resident only parking on the east side of Wesley and the west side of Euclid forcing parishioners to use the parking lot.  I never heard anyone complain that the lot was too far to walk, it really isn't. 

If drivers are violating parking restrictions they should be ticketed, the signs are clear. 

Terri

OakParkSpartan

Apparently "No Parking" means that is a sign for someone else, based upon comments at the meeting.

Also, a yellow curb just reminds them of sunshine...

scoon

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on May 09, 2007, 09:07:53 AM
Also, in COW there was discussion about refinancing the bonds.  Looks like the northside firestation, DD parking garage and streets/alleys are on the "fer sure" list.

The northside fire house, the oldest and busiest in the city, should be at the top of any and every list the city has when it comes to capital expenditures and improvements.  I'm sure there haven't been many of you who have seen it, but lemme just tell you this.  The garage area still has a trough running along the west wall and there are still traces of hay in the attic if that gives you an idea of how old it is.  The basement has so much mold, the guys can't work out down there...  I could go on and on...

Whenever this subject comes up with your alderman, tell them to do the right thing and get this station done ASAP.

Bonster

Quote from: Boohoomian on May 09, 2007, 10:36:35 AM
but lemme just tell you this.  The garage area still has a trough running along the west wall and there are still traces of hay in the attic if that gives you an idea of how old it is.

"rustic"
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

A trough...saves 1 gallon per flush.  Thanks for saving the environment!

BPM

It's a helluva bit further to walk from in front of my house then it is from just behind the church. Most of these brain wizards don't even know there is a parking lot behind the church.