News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Council and COW 9/25/2007

Started by OakParkSpartan, September 25, 2007, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

It would appear that that one of our aldermen is paying himself to be his own secretary.

Nice.

2^3

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

So, who are the secretaries for the other 6 Alderman?  Never mind, what's the pay?

OakParkSpartan

Surprisingly enough, the pay is $375/mo.  That just happens to equal $4500, the amount of their expense account. 

It is just wrong and takes money from the Berwyn taxpayer.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Berwyn Patsy

That does seem kinda tacky, and it is the taxpayers money.  I guess though , if they don't spend it on something for themselves for expense account purposes, they surely are not going to give it back!!
Brian, I am surprised at you, don't you remember it's the Berwyn way?

apatriot

Does 2^3 mean Nona and Weiner?  Don't want anything vague here.

OakParkSpartan

Mathematics...a good thing to study in school.

apatriot

2 to the power of 3 - 8 (hello Joel)  OK.  Brian, why not just say who.  Between you and Scoon I feel like I'm on a game show when I come here.

OakParkSpartan

I'm just trying to exercise your brain.  Or is it exorcise...Either one would be good!

Berwyn Patsy

Who can please report any thing of interest at 09/25/2007 CC meeting?

ZORBA

Why does the alderman think he can pay himself?

Tommy

I believe that the only ones who uses the expense account solely for the betterment of their consituents are Weiner and Skryd.  Ramos is not only funding his 2nd Ward Newsletter (which is chock full of paid advertisements, BTW -- where are the cries of foul play?!) but has an entire tribe of Ramos's on someones payroll.  Nona is on record as having stated in an administrative committee meeting as thinking that the gas keys are a "Nice Perk"  and manages to submit expenses almost to the penny every period.   Joel has been taking the expense money -- all of it -- from day one of holding office, submitting it as "secretarial expenses."  Phelan is doing the same thing, and calling it god knows what.  Bobby L is doing the exact same thing as Joel, calling it "secretarial expenses" and giving it to his wife.  Think we'll ever see any invoices for services rendered?  Bracato (not to speak ill of the dead) used to fill up at the gas pump every week.

The only one of our elected officials, outside of Weiner and Skryd who hasn't submitted a padded expense report?

O'Connor... There it is folks.   Call him what you will, but he is still a staight shooter on my book.

Shackles

Speaking of Ramos,  I didn't notice anyone on this site discuss the recent Ramos block party for his residents.  Emails promoting the block party clearly stated there was an admission charge.  Isn't there a city ordinance against this type of thing?  Hmm.  Wonder what happened to this money?  Are the financial records kept in the finance dept?  Are there any accounting controls in place?  Doubt it.

My guess is there's a ton of this stuff going on all around that we'll all find out about as we get closer to election time.  Say what you want about Bobby and Mike, but both of them are polished political professionals who know how to keep their mouth shut until the time is right to strike. 

apatriot

"until the time is right".  yes.  and that would be election time.  In the interim, stuff like this goes on and not one of them says peep.  You can't sit through a term of office and not blow the whistle when you see abuse.  Then you are part of the abuse.  That's why they keep doing it.  There is no accountability.  So, please.  Let's remove the halos from OC and Bobby?

OakParkSpartan

I've never heard anyone mention a thing about Ramos's newsletter nor that blockparty.

Tommy

Ramos has a "Newsletter" (4-5 sheets of laser printer paper) filled with poorly written hyperbole and grandiose plans.  It is issued spasmodically (supposed to be quarterly, but over the last 3 years, I have received 3 of them) and shows up stuffed in your mail slot, if you live in the 2nd Ward.  Then again, I have neighbors who have never received one.  Then again, what do you expect from an alderperson who's favorite line ac CC is "Um...I didn't have time to read the packet." 

His block parties are a joke.  A keg of beer with no invitations, no organization, no entertainmment, no food...just a bunch of the inflatable rooms that kids love to jump around in.  Who owns these?  Ramos.   Does expense the city for the rental of these on out of his expneses?   Oh, you betcha... We can do so much better than this guy.

apatriot

Well, if people have to pay to attend the block party, what are they paying for?

Terri

Quote from: apatriot on October 08, 2007, 07:56:35 PM
Well, if people have to pay to attend the block party, what are they paying for?
If I remember correctly, it was a $20 donation to the Ramos Election Committee. 

Artanis1215

Good thing he is an IVB member.

Berwyn Patsy

How is the 2nd Ward run?  Does Ramos do a good job, fair, or a poor job? Interesting that he runs his own block party, but uses it as a campaign tool.

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 09, 2007, 05:43:21 AM
How is the 2nd Ward run?  Does Ramos do a good job, fair, or a poor job? Interesting that he runs his own block party, but uses it as a campaign tool.

Pat,

Here is the text of the email for the 2nd Ward party.  The entry fee ranged from $6.00 for an individual to $20 for a family of 5. I don't see anything in the email that says the fee is a campaign donation.

I think Jim has done an OK job as alderman.  I think he has taken each issue one at a time and has voted for what he thinks is in the best interest of the city and the ward.  I also know he has talked to me on several occasions about what it going on in my area of the ward and asked what changes the city needed to make. 

He also talked to residents in my area of the 2nd ward last year when an idea was floating around that 33rd street should be made into a 2-way street. (I was against it. I told Jim I thought it was better to leave 33rd street as a one-way street.)

In city council meetings, he has voted (I think) in what he thinks is best for the city and the ward. For example, he voted against the police contract because he believed the city did not get enough concessions from the union. 

So, as a second ward resident, I think Jim has done an OK job.

Here is the text of the email for the 2nd ward party:

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 06:51:04 -0700
Subject: 2nd Ward Larry Menchetti Memorial Block Party

Good Morning Everyone,

You are cordially invited to attend our annual block party held to remember our former Alderman, Larry Menchetti.  Larry was instrumental in helping me organize our first multi-block block party 12 years ago. When Larry passed away just before our third annual I decided that all future ward block partys would be in his honor. 

I hope that you will be able to join us this Sunday if you decide to stay in town.

Event:  2nd Ward Larry Menchetti Memorial Block Party

Date: Sunday, Sept. 2, 2007 with a rain date of Sept. 3, or the 9th of Sept.

Time: Setup at 10:00 all volunteers are welcomed, Lunch served at 12:30, Dinner at 5:30

Cost: $6.00 per person, $20.00 for a family of five ( two adults three children under13), addtional family members $5.00.

We try to make our block party an International Food Festival and we will be serving an American lunch of hot dogs, hambergers, and sausages at 12:30.  Dinner will be served
at 5:30 and will consist of (so far) Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Czech, with dessert from Pierre's.
Any side dishes or other desserts you wish to bring are also welcomed.  Tap beer will be provided compliments of Tiger O'Stylies.  Bring a lawn chair, we do not have extras.

Please contact me if you plan on attending so I can order and purchase the right amount of food. 

Jim
484-4275
aldermanramos@sbcglobal.net