News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Council and COW 9/25/2007

Started by OakParkSpartan, September 25, 2007, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artanis1215

Quote from: Jack Scagnetti on October 08, 2007, 09:08:08 PM
Good thing he is an IVB member.

SHould have said, Good thing he is an IVB member and uses his head to vote the way he feels his residents would want him to vote and not be in lockstep with anybody.

Curious George

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on September 25, 2007, 05:01:40 PM
Surprisingly enough, the pay is $375/mo.  That just happens to equal $4500, the amount of their expense account. 

It is just wrong and takes money from the Berwyn taxpayer.

So, who are the secretaries for the other 6 Alderman?  Never mind, what's the pay? -From Terri

All this over aldermen paying their spouses to be secretaries and/or using all of their allotted expense accounts?  But to question city workers who also have city/township  contracts and sit on zoning boards is not acceptable?  After all it is only a stipend, right? 

How about the city workers who are going to work on Berwyn Centennial?  Are they going to work on city time or their own and will they be paid accordingly?

So what if Ramos uses it to pay for his newsletter!  It happens to be a very good use if you ask me.  Keeping his residents informed, even if it is poorly written in some peoples opinion.

OakParkSpartan

Putting out a newsletter for the ward is fine.  Paying for printing is fine.  If someone were to pay themselves to type it, that isn't fine, as that is part of writing the thing.

I thought the Centenial was supposed to be a volunteer effort (insert tongue in cheek smiley here)?  That's not on the employee, but on their supervisor, whomever that might be.

I think I know know who you are talking about Kobayashi, and having a job with the city, a paycheck from the zoning board, and also a business that has contracts with the city...seems to me the potential for conflicts is certainly there.  I'd prefer things weren't done that way if it were me.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Terri

Last week Alderman Weiner had an item on the agenda re: Aldermanic Expenses, tonight Alderman Erickson has submitted Aldermanic Expense Guidelines.  This tells me guidelines do not exist.  Seems easy enough, follow the guidelines, submit receipts, get the money. 

We are in the 2nd Ward, Alderman Ramos is attentive and listens to the residents.  He is a fine Alderman.     

Curious George

I thought the Centenial was supposed to be a volunteer effort (insert tongue in cheek smiley here)?  That's not on the employee, but on their supervisor, whomever that might be.

I think I know know who you are talking about Kobayashi, and having a job with the city, a paycheck from the zoning board, and also a business that has contracts with the city...seems to me the potential for conflicts is certainly there.  I'd prefer things weren't done that way if it were me.
[/quote]

Depends on who the supervisor is?  What if there is no supervisor? Hmmmmmmmm

OakParkSpartan

Everyone reports to someone, except for the mayor, clerk and treasurer.  But they're not really employees like I think you and I meant.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

MOMAS2

Quote from: Tommy on October 07, 2007, 03:12:50 PM
I believe that the only ones who uses the expense account solely for the betterment of their consituents are Weiner and Skryd.  Ramos is not only funding his 2nd Ward Newsletter (which is chock full of paid advertisements, BTW -- where are the cries of foul play?!) but has an entire tribe of Ramos's on someones payroll.  Nona is on record as having stated in an administrative committee meeting as thinking that the gas keys are a "Nice Perk"  and manages to submit expenses almost to the penny every period.   Joel has been taking the expense money -- all of it -- from day one of holding office, submitting it as "secretarial expenses."  Phelan is doing the same thing, and calling it god knows what.  Bobby L is doing the exact same thing as Joel, calling it "secretarial expenses" and giving it to his wife.  Think we'll ever see any invoices for services rendered?  Bracato (not to speak ill of the dead) used to fill up at the gas pump every week.

The only one of our elected officials, outside of Weiner and Skryd who hasn't submitted a padded expense report?

O'Connor... There it is folks.   Call him what you will, but he is still a staight shooter on my book.
Tommy,

You really are a fool.  Your boy O'Connor turns in copies of raffle tickets from a boy scout pancake breakfast on his expense account!  That is right, $1.00 raffle tickets!  He has also turned in copies of raffle tickets from a WSSRA (West Suburban Special Recreation) race track event.  That is right, a fundraiser for disabled kids.  What a cheap b@st@rd.  What will he have the taxpayer do next, buy his lottery tickets?  Ask him what the three phone numbers are on his cell phone reimbursements he has turned in in the past.  Could they be his, his wifes, and his daughters, and 100% of the bill of course.
Also, you talk alot of sh*t about Phelan.  If you would take the time to look, he only uses about a third of his expense account every year and it is all legitimate stuff.  Now please f*#k off!

momas2

Bear

"Now please f*#k off!"

I find momma to be quite articulate regarding her defense
of #6, I think I have seen that type of thinking
before.

Perhaps she will explain things further, and perhaps post a photo
of herself for our amusement.

...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Count DMC

Still she makes and interesting point about the Fat Man and how scummy cheap he is.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Ted

WHy are you assuming MOMAS2 is a she??

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Count DMC on October 28, 2007, 09:40:12 PM
Still she makes and interesting point about the Fat Man and how scummy cheap he is.

I've never quite understood why sponsoring a Little League team or buying raffle tickets or attending a fundraiser is something that comes out of the aldermatic expense account.  What does that have to do with the cost of governing the town?

Newsletters, paper, an additional phone line all seem legit.  The other stuff is just thinly veiled campaigning paid for by our tax dollars.

Bonster

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 29, 2007, 09:16:19 AM
I've never quite understood why . . .

You didn't understand Joel's expenses, either, till he came here to explain.  So what's the difference?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: ¢liff ¥. on October 29, 2007, 10:10:03 AM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on October 29, 2007, 09:16:19 AM
I've never quite understood why . . .

You didn't understand Joel's expenses, either, till he came here to explain.  So what's the difference?

What are you talking about?  What difference?

renovatorbear

Quote from: MOMAS2
Also, you talk alot of sh*t about Phelan.  If you would take the time to look, he only uses about a third of his expense account every year...

Um, yeah.  Which says to me that he's not doing jack shit.  Wouldn't your statement have a lot more ooomph, if it were that Phelan hasn't got any money left because of all the legit work he's doing instead of pointing out that he only uses a third of it?

Bonster

Quote from: renovatorbear on October 29, 2007, 11:53:12 AM
Quote from: MOMAS2
Also, you talk alot of sh*t about Phelan.  If you would take the time to look, he only uses about a third of his expense account every year...

Um, yeah.  Which says to me that he's not doing jack shit.  Wouldn't your statement have a lot more ooomph, if it were that Phelan hasn't got any money left because of all the legit work he's doing instead of pointing out that he only uses a third of it?

Maybe, maybe not reno-bear.  My alderman uses all of his and we don't see jack shit.

LOL @ his "sidewalk square replacement program"
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Count DMC

Quote from: Ted on October 29, 2007, 07:25:01 AM

WHy are you assuming MOMAS2 is a she??

The same reason I assume you are a man.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.