News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Recommendations for contractors

Started by The Coach, April 16, 2009, 08:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Coach

I could be wrong, but it seems many of you want recommendations for work to be done and more specficially with regard to concrete work for steps etc.  No doubt you are looking for a quality job at a good price.  I have had contractors tell me in the past they don't come to Berwyn because the Bond is too high.  Therefore, we are pretty much stuck with contractors in Berwyn and a handful at that.  Keeping business in Berwyn is a good idea, but if you don't hear good recommendations for the contractors here (not everyone, of course, but quite a few, especially in the area of concrete), perhaps the bond should be lowered so we can get people out here that can do a quality job.

What say you?

n01_important

You peaked my interest... what is the process to reduce the bond?

Increase the competition, there is more pressure to lower the price and the customer wins.  It's the American way  :usa:
Stupid fuck

Nazerac

I did hear that from a number of contractors.  I don't know if historically this has been done to make sure that proper larger firms can do the work (quality work I assume), or whether it was for revenue generation, hopefully it was not to keep the competition out b/c some politician had a contracting company on the side !!

Does anyone know the history behind the bond pricing ?

piniped

I do think we have a bit of a problem in Berwyn regarding limited access to good contractors.  On more than one occasion, I've had a company that was highly recommended tell me they will NOT do work in Berwyn due to the cost of bonds, permits, etc., being much higher than anywhere else they've worked.  In addition to the money issue, I seem to remember one individual also referring to a bunch of hoops he would have to jump through in order to get on an "approved list of contractors" that would be allowed to do work in Berwyn.

buzz

Quote from: Nazerac on April 16, 2009, 08:40:58 PM
Does anyone know the history behind the bond pricing ?
It started with good intentions.  Don't know how long you've been here but for a while we had some serious problems with unscrupulous contractors preying on the "old folks".  (Goodness, that's me !)  There was "allegedly" problems with firms like Father & somebody, Kazmeryk, Kafka, and others that were doing business under many, many names.  Ripping people off.  Stealing deposits.  Shoddy work. It really did start with the best of intentions.  But, it may be out of control.  I don't know.
Our population is younger now, more computer savvy too.  They research things through the BBB, and yes, boards like this.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

OakParkSpartan

I've had contractors say they won't work here due to the reputation of Berwyn being difficult with the contractors.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

The Coach

Piniped, hit it right on the head.    Exactly what I heard over and over and over again.

"approved list of contractors"?  Let me ask you.  How many years was Kalfka on that list?  With all the complaints made against his ever-changing company name (book of the month club finds it hard to keep up with him), spanning over 50 years, why was he EVER on the approved list of contractors?  I think when you start showing a pattern of shoddy work and complaints are piling up, then the City who is recommending these contractors has a responsibility to remove them from approval status

The City must loosen up with all the procedures so that we can get some quality work done to house and property.

OakParkSpartan

I don't get why the city is "recommending" particular businesses.  When I first bought here, I didn't even think to ask if someone was licensed etc in Berwyn.  I'm sure I am not the only one.  I'm not even sure what all requires a license in Berwyn.  It is the responsibility of the business to be properly licensed IMHO, not the customer.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

maraire

I have been doing business in this town for nearly 20 years now and have never been recommended by the city. I am however on the approved list of contractors and have been since day 1. An approved list of contractors is not a recommendation. It is simply a list of contractors that are current with their licensing fees, insurance certificate, and bond. If you are doing a project and ask the city who to use they will forward the "Approved List" so a homeowner can review and choose. This is by no means a recommendation.

The city feels it is the responsibility of the homeowner to due their due diligence when selecting a contractor. If something goes wrong, and the city has recommended the contractor used, there could be a liability issue against the city. Therefore they do not recommend. Again, they only show on their list who is in good standing.

It is quite easy to get licensed in this or any other municipality unless you are an electrician or a plumber as these trades require state license before a local one can be issued. You want to be a heating guy or a concrete guy go sign up its easy. That is the problem.

As far as the cost of bonds in Berwyn, no different than any other town. I am currently licensed in nearly 20 different municipalities including unincorporated Cook, Will, and Dupage counties. Believe me Berwyn is a breeze.

What is happening in Berwyn that many contractors don't like is the inspection process. I have to give kudos to a couple of the inspectors who have or are continually trying to rat out the shoddy or unscrupulous contractors. (Kudos to the inspectors not the bldg dept as a whole, they do need work).

When a contractor complains about how hard it is to work in Berwyn, that is a RED FLAG. That means they don't like or simply don't want to go through the inspection process. Its like anything else in life, if you do the right thing there won't be any problems.

I am of the opinion that permits issued to contractors should be more stringent than it already is. Contractors are notorious for not getting final inspections, something I have been guilty of myself. The city should impose a fee on the contractor refundable after a final inspection. This is done in many towns now. This insures the homeowner is getting the job they paid for and the right way.

As far as not enough good contractors in Berwyn, I wholeheartedly disagree. We have some of the best contractors around. I hear time and again from customers in our surrounding communities how their best results came from Berwyn contractors. Quality does come with a cost but in the long run it is worth it.

Our town holds some of the best concrete, carpenter, HVAC, and electrical contractors you can find. Being the blue collar town it is it shouldn't surprise any one.

I would offer up a list of them, but I don't need to be laughed at or accused of having a conflict like my daughter was in PUPPYTAILS thread.

Sorry for the length, I just wanted to try and give a little insight from where I stand.

Marty 

Bonster

I have had a few contractors complain about the red tape.  One did mention the Bond price ($100?) was high back in '02. 
A roofing guy said his experience at city hall was like no other he ever had, going from from one floor to another to another.  He didn't refuse, took the job, but certainly let me know it wasn't normal by any stretch.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

n01_important

Do you pay to register yourself with the city?  If so, how much and how often?
Stupid fuck

maraire

We pay to register with every town we work in. Licensing fees are yearly. Berwyn is $150.00. I recently renewed North Riverside at a cost of $200.00. It seems that most of the towns are looking to balance books w/o raising taxes but charging more for co's to work.

Sign of the times I guess.

n01_important

So if I was a contractor and someone from a place that charges high fees... for the sake of argument, let' say Berwyn.  As a contractor, you don't normally get a lot of business from Berwyn so if someone called...  you might be inclined to pass up the customer.

If so, it would be in our best interest as Berwyn taxpayers to force our incompetent & bureaucratic city to maintain low registration fees, correct?
Stupid fuck

rbain

You're right, No1. Perhaps they could offset the income loss by raising property taxes ;D
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."

n01_important

touché, señor bain.

But I did cover my @ss before by stating, "don't raise taxes/FEES".   ;)
Stupid fuck