News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Oak Park

Started by berwyn senator, July 06, 2015, 03:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berwyn senator

Went out for a light dinner,where do we go? Oak Park! Lake street is booming wall to wall people,the town has gotten better since I was kid.Sure wish Berwyn would become the same!!!

chandasz

That's what better schools and higher taxes buys you.

I wish Berwyn would try to improve as well

berwyn senator

Years ago Berwyn schools were just as political as today,the difference was the parents were very supportive of education.The children were taught to work hard in school,respecting their teachers.Taxes were not high,but the high school was tops.I know I was there!!!!!!!!!

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 07, 2015, 05:12:17 PM
Years ago Berwyn schools were just as political as today,the difference was the parents were very supportive of education.The children were taught to work hard in school,respecting their teachers.Taxes were not high,but the high school was tops.I know I was there!!!!!!!!!

Why is it that Oak Parkers do a better job of raising their children than Berwynites?
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

Good question! I might answer the parents are educated and they want the same for their kids?

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 07, 2015, 10:00:23 PM
Good question! I might answer the parents are educated and they want the same for their kids?

It's true that lower-educated people look for places with cheaper housing. It's almost as if quality of education and property tax revenues are connected!
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

berwyn senator

Oak Park raised taxes around 1986, doubling for some homeowners people paid the increase and stayed. Politics need to be removed from the school system,wishful thinking.

markberwyn

Quote from: berwyn senator on July 08, 2015, 01:37:09 PM
Oak Park raised taxes around 1986, doubling for some homeowners people paid the increase and stayed. Politics need to be removed from the school system,wishful thinking.

It's been my experience that Berwyn has an inexhaustible capacity to dismiss any shift from the status quo as "politics," especially when it comes to education.

berwyn senator

I need to become educated on why the politics have such a hold on our educational system?maybe control?

exPROPer

One of the big differences between Berwyn and Oak Park is that Oak Park has a huge number of citizen advisory boards weighing in on everything Oak Park.  A large number of Oak Park citizens do get involved in the governmental process and the elected officials have to "deal" with the advisory boards. I know because I spent many years on one when I lived there.  The commitment of time could be exhaustive, but the results benefited the whole community.

Berwyn government seems secretive and does not encourage input/feedback from residents.  Once our alderman got elected he disappeared from sight.  And, try to get to the mayor - forget it.  I have called a couple times to try and talk to the mayor and I was questioned, questioned, questioned about what I was calling about from two of his staff.  In the end I gave up trying.

Oak Park has lots of slacker residents, but there are enough people seriously involved to keep pulling the community forward on so many issues.  I went to plenty of Junior High open houses in Oak Park, back in the day where there were a handful of parents showing up.  So, all is not perfect on the other side of Roosevelt, but it's pretty impressive.

berwyn senator

I am fully aware of the grass always looking greener,our alderman is the same,I think I've seen him once when he was first elected. They do need to work on the schools,they were much better years back,and I don't believe money is the answer. In Oak Park are there two parties,and what happens to the advisory groups if the political party changes?

exPROPer

In Oak Park when citizens commit to an advisory board they commit to a term. I was on one with a 4 year commitment and some people would renew or go serve on a different advisory board.  So, the beauty of it was that who is in office had nothing to do with the running of the advisory board(s).

berwyn senator

I am sure Berwyn does not chance,or would not allow this to happen.How much actual influence do these boards have over the elected officials,mayor,president?

chandasz

Elected officials of the city have no doings in the school. It's really about not.enough.money. There is a tipping point with money-- when we don't have enough to meet the needs of our kids and we're there.

Low property values/low taxes = low $ for schools. People working several jobs and not able to be involved in schools on a hugely active basis and language barriers also = low involvement. There are many of us who do what we can but it's not enough. Days past-- the state kicked in more so maybe that's what you mean when you say there was still not much money but the schools were better. We don't have that now. Thanks to Rauner cutting everything for working people to benefit the 1%.

Can't expect that a budget from 20+ years ago (or more) will go as far in today's economy.

markberwyn

Quote from: chandasz on July 09, 2015, 06:26:48 PM
Elected officials of the city have no doings in the school. It's really about not.enough.money. There is a tipping point with money-- when we don't have enough to meet the needs of our kids and we're there.

Low property values/low taxes = low $ for schools. People working several jobs and not able to be involved in schools on a hugely active basis and language barriers also = low involvement. There are many of us who do what we can but it's not enough. Days past-- the state kicked in more so maybe that's what you mean when you say there was still not much money but the schools were better. We don't have that now. Thanks to Rauner cutting everything for working people to benefit the 1%.

Can't expect that a budget from 20+ years ago (or more) will go as far in today's economy.

Don't bother---senator is just going to Trumpishly respond and tell you that money has nothing to do with it and that what Berwyn parents need to do is instill more stick-to-it-ive-ness in their kids.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: chandasz on July 09, 2015, 06:26:48 PM

Then why do elected officials get involved in school politics here?  We've seen it in various races here whether they say they are involved are not.  So why should we vote for higher taxes when we aren't sure how they will be spent?  I'd like to say that higher taxes here will lead to better schools but without community advisory boards without any political afficialiation for input and some kind of oversight I will never vote for higher taxes.  I know plenty of my kind.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on July 08, 2015, 02:59:26 PM

It's been my experience that Berwyn has an inexhaustible capacity to dismiss any shift from the status quo as "politics," especially when it comes to education.
For a very good reason.  Take a look at the school board from Morton School District 201 and tell me if you disagree.

markberwyn

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on July 09, 2015, 08:01:27 PM

For a very good reason.  Take a look at the school board from Morton School District 201 and tell me if you disagree.

Yes, yes, I know. As soon as the school board is just right in every way Berwynites will thrill to invest in their schools.

berwyn senator

Board members are supported and put in place mostly by Cicero,Berwyn gets the balance.Now tell me how can these people run the school system?they're puppets.If we didn't have the waste in the system we can never be sure of how the money is to be spent if taxes are raised for the schools.Many of the good people teaching or administrators are driven out to make room for the politically connected which are not as efficient as the ones they replaced.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Quote from: markberwyn on July 09, 2015, 08:10:35 PM
Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on July 09, 2015, 08:01:27 PM

Yes, yes, I know. As soon as the school board is just right in every way Berwynites will thrill to invest in their schools.
As for District 201, you will have a long to wait as long as Larry Dominick and his hand picked school board members are in power.  Although, I must admit their PR campaign is working well for them with their magazine mailers.  I put up the 2015 Morton Rugby state champion poster I received in the mail on my fridge.  There are many great kids going there and doing well despite a school board that I feel is way too politically connected.  District 100 has prepared my children well for their future and I hope next time they hope to pass a referendum they are prepared to present a more economically feasible plan to the taxpayers.