Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Bike Sale in Oak Park on 5/30

Started by Ana, April 21, 2009, 04:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ana

Bikes for sale!
By John P. Hustonon April 21, 2009 10:37 AM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)
Oak Park sure has a lot of bicycles.

And I'm not talking about the people who live here. I'm talking about the police department.

And they're in liquidation mode!

On Saturday, May 30, the police will host a sale from 9 a.m. to noon at 260 Madison St., weather permitting.

You can see descriptions of the 311 bicycles they'll be selling here. There are also a dozen push-scooters, I'm told.

"There are some very good bicycles in there," said Oak Park Police Chief Rick Tanksley.

The police happen upon hundreds of bikes, either through confiscations or by simply finding them abandoned or lost. Apparently, they've been piling up for quite some time. They used to be stored in the 1145 Westgate Building, a village-owned vacant structure in downtown Oak Park.

One day last fall I stumbled upon some police officers moving them out to prepare the building for demolition.

The money the sale generates "will go to some youth-related events this summer," Tanksley said.

An auction was ruled out as too costly. Apparently, those fast-talkin' auctioneers aren't cheap.

"We might be able to secure the services of someone who is an expert in bicycles to come out and price our bicycles for us," Tanksley said. "We'll open it up to the public and people can come in and look at bikes in their price range."

http://blogs.pioneerlocal.com/thenewspeg/
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

biff.

Thanks for the info -- I'll be sure to check it out!!!!