Matt Damon - the man thinks he's a great actor

Started by billyjean, August 04, 2011, 03:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billyjean

I think he stinks.  I also think someone needs to kick his ass.  He won't show up to debate anyone on an issue, he just takes pot shots from afar.  He's turned into a real punk.

You've probably seen the latest clip with the goof, Matt Damon, spouting off, the know it all that he is.  If you haven't, it's below.

First of all, I would rather watch a movie with Mark Walberg in it than with Matt Damon.  Damon is now just a punk who is getting too big for his britches.

In this rant, he says something to the effect of the following:

1.  Do you think job insecurity is what makes me try to be a better actor.

My answer:  There are actors who are 100 Times better than Damon who are starving, and by that I mean they are not getting work.  Further, he may have had a few good roles and then the rest stunk.  The Bourne movies are not much better than watching the Rocky series of movies.  Those Ocean's 11, 12, etc., all those puds are just collecting a paycheck, as this non-stop grind of the same theme over and over is nowhere even near oscar performances, and is pretty much on the same level as every Halloween, Halloween II, or Saw movies.  Those are horror, but it doesn't matter, it's all the same predictable crap.

2.  He says re: teachers ... why do you think ppl take these low paying jobs with long hours?

My Answer:  To put food on the table and pay the bills?  Of course, HIS mother just happens to have a millionaire son, but she keeps pluggin away, cause she is one of those martyr teachers .... suffering terribly, cause she wants to teach damn it !!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/WFHJkvEwyhk?version=3&hl=en_US

Here is Matt again, no doubt using what he learned in the classroom about courtesy from some devoted teacher that never gave him a standardized test, and spent every moment she could trying to find his real gifts (what a load):

http://www.youtube.com/v/TyHdVtNd8Gk?version=3&hl=en_US

Throw all standardized tests out the window!!!  What a load of crap this video is:

http://www.youtube.com/v/HqOub-heGQc?version=3&hl=en_US

billyjean

based on the five lines the kid had to say and the way Damon treated him ... I would suspect Damon would have made a GREAT teacher huh?  Lot's of patience .... trying to find the inner artistry ... gifts of a person.

Hock..........pooie!

OakParkSpartan

I thought the first clip was fine.

That 10% stuff is stupid.  Not everyone in every profession is the best.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

psychomom

Aside from the fact that he is one of the best actors around, his speech at the rally was inspiring.

Personally I think standardized tests are a load of crap. But his video was about so much more than that. I think conservatives are mad because he dissed the tea party:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/02/matt-damon-rips-debt-deal_n_916618.html
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

billyjean

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 04, 2011, 04:17:33 PM

Brian, those were just local tv reporters trying to make a story.  When this video hit the airwaves .... Matt Damon was invited to come and debate those that could give him a run for his millions on the subject of teachers, unions, tenure, PERFORMANCE, and standardized testing.  Matt is only willing to banter with those who are not professional on a debate level.  This way he ensures that his voice and his voice alone is heard.  Let him come out ... and man up.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: billyjean on August 04, 2011, 04:39:58 PM

Brian, those were just local tv reporters trying to make a story.  When this video hit the airwaves .... Matt Damon was invited to come and debate those that could give him a run for his millions on the subject of teachers, unions, tenure, PERFORMANCE, and standardized testing.  Matt is only willing to banter with those who are not professional on a debate level.  This way he ensures that his voice and his voice alone is heard.  Let him come out ... and man up.

How do you know all this?

Yeah...I'm sure he'll come out and "man up" because some right wing nutter in Berwyn is calling him names. LOL
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

billyjean

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 04, 2011, 09:14:26 PM

Yeah...I'm sure he'll come out and "man up" because some right wing nutter in Berwyn is calling him names. LOL

How do I know ... Know what?  about tv reporters? cause it's been in article after article.  How do I know he's been called out, cause I was watching Foxnews when he was invited on to come debate.  They never do.  A few have, and I give them credit.  But you will never see Sean Penn come on Fox ... or George Clooney ... or Matt Damon.  Hell, even Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, and Ben Affleck have gone on Fox to debate, but not the new rat pack:  Pitt, Clooney, Damon (paycheck collectors all).  Geez, don't we need another Ocean's 45 movie? er sumthin.  Damon will be 90 and still doin Bourne movies.  Damon can't hold a candle to Sean Penn, who's personal antics I loathe.  You don't see Penn doing formula movies, and I may not like every movie he was in as the roles started to reflect his politics, but his performances have always been stellar.

tgoddess

Good gravy...they're ACTORS, not freakin' rocket scientists.  Why ANYONE would give a rat's *ss about what Matt Damon/George Clooney/Paulie Shore think about education is beyond me.  They're on the news because they're "famous," not because their opinion matters anymore than yours or mine.

Yeeeeeeeeeesh.

"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

billyjean

Quote from: tgoddess on August 04, 2011, 10:26:00 PM
Good gravy...they're ACTORS, not freakin' rocket scientists.  Why ANYONE would give a rat's *ss about what Matt Damon/George Clooney/Paulie Shore think about education is beyond me.  They're on the news because they're "famous," not because their opinion matters anymore than yours or mine.

Yeeeeeeeeeesh.

Tell that to the crowd watching them !!! and cheering !!!

The majority of us are not rocket scientists, and what that has to do with it, is beyond me.  You forget the little part of how ACTORS use their celebrity to GET ON TV or whatever, to sell their message.  You and I cannot do that, but he can.  And cause some dummy sitting in his living room loves Damon action movies, he convinces himself that whatever Damon is saying must be the truth.  When you use celebrity, which liberal Hollywood is famous for doing, to broadcast on a loudspeaker the liberal message, without any debate on the subject, it's the equivalent of a political ad.

You said, "Good gravy ...they're ACTORS".  Then act. Damon is as liberal as they come, but probably not as liberal as Penn.

tgoddess

Quote from: billyjean on August 04, 2011, 10:45:52 PM

Tell that to the crowd watching them !!! and cheering !!!

The majority of us are not rocket scientists, and what that has to do with it, is beyond me.  

You forget the little part of how ACTORS use their celebrity to GET ON TV or whatever, to sell their message.  You and I cannot do that, but he can.  And cause some dummy sitting in his living room loves Damon action movies, he convinces himself that whatever Damon is saying must be the truth.  When you use celebrity, which liberal Hollywood is famous for doing, to broadcast on a loudspeaker the liberal message, without any debate on the subject, it's the equivalent of a political ad.

You said, "Good gravy ...they're ACTORS".  Then act. Damon is as liberal as they come, but probably not as liberal as Penn.

Yes, BJ...because EVERYONE in the world is stupid except YOU.  ::)  Everyone but you makes his voting decisions based on what Matt Damon says.  This IS America and everyone (which includes me, you AND Matt Damon) has the right to say whatever stupid thing they want and media outlets can toss out video of anyone THEY feel is 'newsworthy' (because it sells advertising) but no one is forcing anyone to actually CARE.  

Your news outlet showed you footage of an actor proselytizing to people who are probably already his fans and already agree with his message.  He's not really trying to convince anyone of anything and HE'S not running for office, so I ask again..."Who cares?"  

So what if a couple "dummies," (as you call them) think Matt Damon is right?  Don't you think there are an equal number of "dummies" on the other side who'll be convinced by some OTHER actor/pop star/clown that THEY'RE right? (I'll betcha Toby Keith has just as many fans as Matt Damon.)  IMO, there's enough "dummy" on either side to cancel each other out.  I can't see where the Matt Damon Fan voting block is going to decide the next election, but it's refreshing to see you're worked up enough to say that you want someone to kick the ass of some dude you don't even KNOW, who has never done anything to you personally, just because you think he's a shitty actor with a 'pulpit.'  

Brava, madam!

Matt Damon is not going to cause the downfall of America (with his political views or his crappy movies) any more so than you or I.  Worry about the president and your representatives in Congress.  THEY'RE the ones with the power, not some actor you can't stand.  Heck, it would have helped your case against liberals along a lot further if you'd posted some videos of Al Franken.  Good gravy...he's a goddamned stand up comedian in the SENATE responsible for VOTING on things like the budget deficit and immigration.   I would have thought THAT would bother you a hell of a lot more than Matt Damon spewing his opinions about teachers.  But you clearly have your priorities.  

And I'm HAPPY to let you have the last word.  Frankly, I can't believe I spent the last five minutes writing about Matt Damon.  There's some time I'll never get back.  Damn. 
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

Diona

Quote from: tgoddess on August 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AM

Matt Damon is not going to cause the downfall of America any more so than you or I.  Worry about the president and your representatives in Congress.  THEY'RE the ones with the power, not some actor you can't stand.  It would have helped your case against liberals along a lot further if you'd posted some videos of Al Franken.  Good gravy...he's a goddamned stand up comedian in the SENATE responsible for VOTING on things like the budget deficit and immigration.   I would have thought that that would bother you a hell of a lot more than Matt Damon spewing his opinions about teachers.

+100

watcher

Quote from: billyjean on August 04, 2011, 09:33:12 PM
Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 04, 2011, 09:14:26 PM

How do I know ... Know what?  about tv reporters? cause it's been in article after article.  How do I know he's been called out, cause I was watching Foxnews when he was invited on to come debate.  They never do.  A few have, and I give them credit.  But you will never see Sean Penn come on Fox ... or George Clooney ... or Matt Damon.  Hell, even Jon Stewart, Bill Maher, and Ben Affleck have gone on Fox to debate, but not the new rat pack:  Pitt, Clooney, Damon (paycheck collectors all).  Geez, don't we need another Ocean's 45 movie? er sumthin.  Damon will be 90 and still doin Bourne movies.  Damon can't hold a candle to Sean Penn, who's personal antics I loathe.  You don't see Penn doing formula movies, and I may not like every movie he was in as the roles started to reflect his politics, but his performances have always been stellar.

Choosing not to appear on Faux Noise is, IMO, a sure sign of intelligence. The "reporters" were not local news, they were from Reason.TV.
(The offshoot of the Libertarian Reason Foundation fronted by Drew Carey and Neil Gillespie of Suck.com.)
There are no proper 'debate' forums on television. Instead we get failures, pundits, and rolodex personalities talking out their asses.

Just watch Press the Meat for the epitome of Villager Journalism, or Faux Noise for Ambush Jounalism.
CNN tops them all with their Brady Bunch "debates". Nine heads; no brain.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

Wanna' talk about bad actors ?  Charlton Heston.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

watcher

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

tgoddess

Better not let Chuck Norris hear you say that.   ;D

Bonster

watcher, if you're still breathing it's proof he's a forgiving force.  I wouldn't push it if I were you, though.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

billyjean

Quote from: tgoddess on August 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AM
Yes, BJ...because EVERYONE in the world is stupid except YOU.  ::)

Is that your opinion, or what you believe I think of myself?  If it's your opinion, you're entitled to it.  If it's what you believe I think of myself, you are wrong.  This discussion has nothing to with how smart you are.  It has to do with a bad actor using the media to back teacher's unions and method of teaching.  On that we all have opinions and debate with vigor.  If you don't believe me, go and review the education threads.  We are now debating PRESCHOOL.  No one is saying PRESCHOOL isn't good.  It is.  What is debated is who should pay for it.  BTW, I agree with Jackal.  So this has nothing to do with your "because EVERYONE in the world is stupid except YOU" statement.  You can also include in this irrelevant argument of yours that "Everyone but you makes his voting decisions based on what Matt Damon says".  He has the stage.  THE STAGE allows him the vehicle to influence ppl.

Consider when Brando boycotted the acceptance of his Oscar and sent Sacheen Littlefeather to read a speech he had prepared for her.  She never read the speech in front of the audience, but read it to the press afterwards.  I give Brando credit for NOT appearing himself to have the stage to send some political message about his support of American Indians.  His sending Littlefeather was not much better, but again, he didn't use his personal persona to command a stage, a place where he makes a living. 

Or the night Elia Kazan received the Honorary Award at the Oscars, and certain members of the audience refused to stand and applaud his body of work.  This time it was actors, etc. in the audience that made a statement by refusing to acknowledge the man's body of work by way of not standing to applaud him or just applauding him.  The political message was loud and clear:  You gave up names of ppl in the industry who were members of the communist party to the commission on un-American activities, names the commission already had.

Every year we await what political message will be sent on the stage from someone at the Oscars.  It's like you haven't made it, unless you go up there and pull a shot. 

Hollywood is just a faction of the far left in Washington, providing a platform, actors, and $$$ to any of the anointed ones that require it.

Quote from: tgoddess on August 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AMYour news outlet showed you footage of an actor proselytizing to people who are probably already his fans and already agree with his message.  He's not really trying to convince anyone of anything and HE'S not running for office, so I ask again..."Who cares?"   

So what if a couple "dummies," (as you call them) think Matt Damon is right?  Don't you think there are an equal number of "dummies" on the other side who'll be convinced by some OTHER actor/pop star/clown that THEY'RE right? (I'll betcha Toby Keith has just as many fans as Matt Damon.)  IMO, there's enough "dummy" on either side to cancel each other out.  I can't see where the Matt Damon Fan voting block is going to decide the next election, but it's refreshing to see you're worked up enough to say that you want someone to kick the ass of some dude you don't even KNOW, who has never done anything to you personally, just because you think he's a shitty actor with a 'pulpit.'

Worked up ?!!  LOL, no I only get worked up when ComEd tries to screw with me.  We had a first round and only round ... and they lost.  This is just stuff in the news to comment on ... that's all.

He's a bully.  His conduct in the video where he is directing a guy who has five lines to say demonstrates that.  That poor actor trying to say the lines should have walked up to him and cold cocked him, so he could walk around with a shiner.  He has a hyper personality and obviously lacks patience.  A good teacher is something he would never make.

As far as celebrities that have right wing views using the stage or making up songs or whatever to send out political messages, they shouldn't do it either.  I would venture to say most of those come from  country/western music, not Hollywood.  If they want to be a guest on a show that allows for opposing view to debate or object to what they are saying ... FINE!!!  Otherwise, take your guitar and go home.  If you're a star of any kind and want to just sit on the TV and make a speech ... NO.  I don't want to just shut down the left ... I want it all shut down.  If you can't stand up to opposing views or answer questions about your views, then just go back and do what you do to make a living.  If your celebrity is based on politics like Bill Maher or Jon Stewart, etc., that's different, because that is exactly what they do to make a living.  They have a regular program and you can choose to tune in or tune out.  You know what to expect.

Until I see YOU on CNN or they allow ME on CNN or FOX, I will continue to hold that so-called celebrities have no business being there for the purpose of talking, without debate, about politics.

Quote from: tgoddess on August 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AMMatt Damon is not going to cause the downfall of America (with his political views or his crappy movies) any more so than you or I.

Did I ever say he was?  I don't recall saying that, however, you put that out there like I do believe that.

Quote from: tgoddess on August 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AMHeck, it would have helped your case against liberals along a lot further if you'd posted some videos of Al Franken.  Good gravy...he's a goddamned stand up comedian in the SENATE responsible for VOTING on things like the budget deficit and immigration.   I would have thought THAT would bother you a hell of a lot more than Matt Damon spewing his opinions about teachers.  But you clearly have your priorities.

WOW !!!  Excuse me, but Al Franken (the so-called comedian) was elected to to serve as Senator in our government.  That takes him away from the entertainment STAGE, and onto the political stage which is open to criticism and debate.  He's an elected official and is responsible for everything he says and does in that capacity.  Now when he comes on a show, he's not coming on in the capacity of a comedian, he's coming on as a Senator.  He personally may be comedic, but it is no longer his profession where ppl pay money or tune in to see him in that way.  Is he performing on stage anywhere?  Is he doing standup somewhere ... spreading the good tidings of the far left while a Senator?  If he is, please let me know. 

Quote from: tgoddess on August 05, 2011, 05:49:00 AMAnd I'm HAPPY to let you have the last word.  Frankly, I can't believe I spent the last five minutes writing about Matt Damon.  There's some time I'll never get back.  Damn.

It must have seriously cut into your time spent marking money.  I really have to laugh when ppl say they wasted time posting, but go ahead and do it anyway.  It's a topic posted, if you don't care to discuss it or feel it's important, or controversial, or has merit in any way, then don't respond.  By not responding you show that you don't care.  It will die then just like when Boris posted about da BIG show on Broadway.

As far as Matt Damon and his acting, the only ones that made good at the box office were the predictable Bourne action movies, and the old tired Oceans movies.  Let's just look at last part of 2009 and 2010 showing lifetime gross:

12/22/10 True Grit Par. $171,050,328 (he had a minor role in this movie, IMO)
Look at these stinkers:
10/15/10 Hereafter WB $32,746,941
3/12/10 Green Zone Uni. $35,053,660
12/11/09 Invictus WB $37,491,364
9/18/09 The Informant! WB $33,316,821

He's just an over-rated actor with a gambling addiction, who couldn't win money in a poker game to save his life, as ascertained in an FBI investigation of the underground gambling ring he and others were involved with.  Guess FBI only wants to know who the winners were, and he wasn't one of em.  HaHa.  It's been in the news lately with A-Rod.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/6830659/mlb-looking-alex-rodriguez-illegal-poker

YES, Hell for me would be being forced to watch Damon movies over and over.

billyjean

"Matt Damon's Silly Teacher Rant
By Michelle  Malkin

Published August 05, 2011 | New York Post

Actor Matt Damon is a walking public-service reminder to immunize your children early and often against La-La Land disease.

In Damon's world, all public-school teachers are selfless angels. Government workers and Hollywood entertainers are impervious to economic incentives. Anyone who disagrees is a know-nothing, "corporate reformer" ingrate who hates education.

Last week, the liberal box-office star addressed a "Save Our Schools" march in Washington at the behest of his mother, a professor of early-childhood education. He attacked standardized tests. He praised all the public-school teachers who "empowered" him and unlocked his creative potential by rejecting "silly drill- and-kill nonsense." Damon decried the demoralization of teachers by ruthless, results-oriented free marketeers whom he mocked as "simple-minded."

What Damon's superficial tirade lacked, however, was any real-world understanding of the deterioration of core-curricular learning in America. Students can't master simple division or fractions because today's teachers -- churned out through lowest-common-denominator grad schools and shielded from competition -- have barely mastered those skills themselves. Un-educators have abandoned "drill-and-kill" computation for multicultural claptrap and fuzzy math, traded in grammar fundamentals for "creative spelling" and dropped standard civics for save-the-earth propaganda.

Consequence: bottom-basement U.S. student scores on global assessments over the last two decades. Blaming the tests is blaming the messenger. The liberal education establishment's response to its abject academic failures? Run away. This is why the Save Our Schools agenda championed by Damon calls for less curricular emphasis on math and reading -- and more focus on social justice, funding and "equity" issues.

Out: Reading is fundamental.

In: Feeling is fundamental.

After his drippy pep talk absolving teachers of any responsibility for America's educational morass, Damon lashed out at a young reporter who had the audacity to ask him about the negative impact of lifetime teacher tenure. "In acting, there isn't job security, right," Reason.tv's Michelle Fields asked Damon. "There is an incentive to work hard and be a better actor because you want to have a job. So why isn't it like that for teachers?"

It's elementary that people will work longer and harder if they know they will be rewarded. There's nothing anti-teacher about the question. (And before teacher-unions goons go on the attack, I am the child of a public-school teacher and the mother of two children in an excellent public charter school by choice.) But Damon's hinges came undone when confronted with the mild question.

"You think job insecurity makes me work hard?" he retorted. "That's like saying a teacher is going to get lazy when she has tenure." Damon unleashed crude profanities on Fields. "A teacher wants to teach," Damon fumed with his mother next to him. "Why else would you take a sh- -ty" salary and really long hours and do that job unless you really loved to do it?"

Never mind that most out-of-work Americans would find nothing "sh- -ty" about earning an average $53,000 annual salary plus health and retirement benefits for a 180-day work year.

Damon went on to deride standard, mainstream behavioral economic principles as "intrinsically paternalistic" and "MBA-style thinking." And when the young reporter's cameraman pointed out that there are bad apples in the teaching profession as in any profession, Damon called him "sh--ty," too.

Tinseltown stars can afford to put emotion over logic, progressive fantasy over practical reality. The rest of us are stuck with the bill. And those whom bleeding-heart celebrities purport to care most about -- the children -- suffer the consequences of bad ideas.

Interminable teacher tenure in America's largest school districts, from New York to Chicago to Los Angeles, has produced a rotten corps of incompetent (at best) and dangerous (at worst) educators coddled by Big Labor. As the DC-based Center for Union reports, "In many major cities, only one out of 1,000 teachers is fired for performance-related reasons. . . . In 10 years, only about 47 out of 100,000 teachers were actually terminated from New Jersey's schools."

By contrast, as the educational documentary "Waiting for Superman" pointed out, one out of every 57 doctors loses his or her license to practice medicine, and one out of every 97 lawyers loses their license to practice law.

In Los Angeles, it's not just meanie Tea Partiers making the case for abolishing teacher tenure. When the Los Angeles Times exposed how the city's tenure evaluation system rubber-stamped approvals and ignored actual performance, the district superintendent admitted: "Too many ineffective teachers are falling into tenured positions -- the equivalent of jobs for life." USC education professor Julie Slayton acknowledged: "It's ridiculous and should be changed."

Pop quiz: Would multimillionaire Matt Damon apply the same warped employment practices and dumbed-down curricular standards to his own accountants that he champions for America's public-school teachers? Film at 11.

Michelle Malkin is a New York Post columnist and Fox News contributor.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2011/08/05/matt-damons-silly-teacher-rant/#ixzz1UDiyzqEJ

psychomom

You really can't expect anyone to take seriously Faux News and the New York Post as sources...........please. Think "Rupert Murdoch".
"He who opens a school door closes a prison"

Victor Hugo

billyjean

Quote from: psychomom on August 06, 2011, 06:00:09 AM
You really can't expect anyone to take seriously Faux News and the New York Post as sources...........please. Think "Rupert Murdoch".

psycho, what part of "opposing view" or "debate" don't you understand?  Don't you encourage that in a classroom setting, or is everyone over there under the "indoctrination" rule?  Nothing stops Matt from having his ppl call Michelle's ppl and set up a debate on the subject.  Something he will never do.  Michelle will own him.

Beyond Damon, the subject of tenure for life for teachers is being debated all over the country.  This is not something drummed up by conservative news programs, but issues that are effecting every state ... poor school performance and contracts that are so out of control that no one can pay for them anymore.