Administration Committee 6/12/06

Started by OakParkSpartan, June 12, 2006, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

I came late. 

The new parking plan was being discussed.  Folks, this is going to blindside many of you who live in areas that have lots of multiunit buildings.  Imagine a n overnight visitor comes to your house, you provide them with the "visitors" pass, and surprise! there is no parking on your immediate block.  Guess what? As it stands now, the VISITOR WILL RECEIVE A $200 TICKET.  If they park on any other block other than your own. 

IMHO, this is a very, very poorly conceived plan.  The idea of restricting overnight parking is a good one, but the implementation is going to impact many people in a bad way.

Erickson also sent a letter to selected mayoral appointees, asking them to compare their job to a job posting for an executive secretary from Orlando Florida. 

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bear

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on June 12, 2006, 08:16:25 PM

...Erickson also sent a letter to selected mayoral appointees, asking them to compare their job to a job posting for an executive secretary from Orlando Florida. 

Cheers,
Brian

Im missing something here...Brian, when you calm down please elaborate. It sounds like the dysfunction
known as the 8th ward alderman has made a fool of himself once again.

At our expense.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Terri

Was the executive secretary paid more for a 40 hour work week?  He needs to be ignored, so sorry for 8th ward residents. 

If there is no parking on your block the visitor's car is to be parked where?  Discussion phase...good, keep discussing.  Much too easy to look to another city for advise and suggestion.  Let's continue to discuss...how much more time can we waste.

Terri

OakParkSpartan

Read exactly what I wrote.  He asked that the appointed employees compare their position to an executive secretary for the Mayor of Orlando, FL.

You can figure out why he did that if you've attended council (hint: he thinks he can replace a bunch of people with one executive secretary).

Happily, Ald. Ramos and Lovero agreed with the mayor to have the HR director provide job descriptions, and the aldermen can look at the bi-weekly reports they have received from the appointees for the last year to determine if what they actually do jibes with their job description.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Fejes on June 12, 2006, 11:24:20 PM
Was the executive secretary paid more for a 40 hour work week?  He needs to be ignored, so sorry for 8th ward residents. 

If there is no parking on your block the visitor's car is to be parked where?  Discussion phase...good, keep discussing.  Much too easy to look to another city for advise and suggestion.  Let's continue to discuss...how much more time can we waste.

Terri

I think you then have to send your visitor away.  I was told it "wasn't fair" if a visitor to your home wants to park on a different block...I guess I just don't get this idea that there is an ordinance stating that the public street in front of your house is for people on that block to use, and no one else. 

Cheers,
Brian

scoon

I'm glad that I have an extra stall in my garage....  I'll be renting that out and providing a shuttle service for out of town guests.

Once again, a good idea is managed to get screwed up by the city of Berwyn.  (Much like the new planters on the light poles.  Perhaps some hanging or fern like plants would be more visible...)

I guess in theory, we could let our guests park in our garage and we could go park on another block...  Thus negating the need for the visitor's pass in the first place, but what does that do but inconvienience us even more?  This parking policy is out of control.  Someone on the council needs to stand up and say enough is enough, copy the Oak Park (or city of your choice) policy verbatim, and go with it.

This is like a monkey effing a football.  Humorous at first, even curious to watch, but in the end, pointless.

I need my 800 mg of Ibuprofen.

OakParkSpartan

Scoon,

I agree.  I was told that the way to do it is to take your car, move it elsewhere (the next block???) and let your visitor take your space.

So to my understanding.... Block A is where you live.  Block B is the next block.  You and your friend pull up at 4AM.  Luckily you have your handy dandy parking pass in the car.  You give it to your pal.  There is one space on Block A and 20 on Block B.  Your friend must park on your block, and you must park on the next.  Net increase of two cars.  Now the difference between you parking on your block and your friend parking on your block is what?  It is STILL a net increase of 2 cars. 

Why is Berwyn so fixated on prohibiting "outsiders" from parking here?  I understand the areas bordering our town.  But for most people, this is going to discourage visitors and just makes the town look screwed up.

I hope people contact their aldermen and voice their displeasure with this proposed plan.

Cheers,
Brian