News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

CARES 10/30/2006 Meeting

Started by Berwyn Patsy, October 31, 2006, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berwyn Patsy

The meeting started a few minutes after 7:30, due to the parking construction going on we waited for anyone who might be having some problem finding parking.
I think I counted around 28 in attendance.  1-2 more new faces, that's always good to see.
Shelley opened the meeting starting with some financials, not much to discuss though.  CARES  is sporting a balance of $1,694.50.  This does not include any ticket sales for the Justin Roberts concert scheduled this weekend.  Sales are going good, and the group is excited about this fund raiser.
Shelley thanked the sponsors and people who have contributed donations towards this event and CARES. Some of which include Pizza Hut, North Riverside, and a nice donation from a Re max realtor Steve Massarella who is promoting Berwyn as a good community with good schools and organizations such as CARES.  Also thanks goes to our very own Tony La for a generous donation.  Thanks Tony!!
The applications for Teachers grants were delivered to each public school principal to be handed out.  The applications are due back by Dec. 1,2006.  Shelley would like to award those grants after Christmas break.
The important part of the evening was the presentation by Dr. Nowakowski regarding the referendum.  He was very cordial and did a good job of presenting why we needed to pass this referendum.
Questions were asked, and he tried to answer the best way he could.
A lot of numbers, percentages and tax caps, and etc were discussed.  This is Ted's area.
Outsourcing must be a topic of some sorts, I have heard Dr. Nowakowski say for the 2nd time that we only have 75 custodians, 76 food service employees for all 4 building's and that's not a lot because we have 8,000 kids passing in and out of those doors every day.  12,000 lunches are served daily.
All in all I think he's fighting a good fight, but honestly he hasn't changed my mind.
Good news was the win for our soccer team.  Dr. Nowakowski said over 1000 kids,and parents were at the Toyota field and spirits and moral are high!!  I say, good for them!!!.
Special guests were acknowledged by Shelley.  Dr. Nowakowski and the quality education committee, Mayor Michael O'Connor, Alderman Mark Weiner and ABC president Susan Anderson.
For those of you who were there last night feel free to correct any misleading or wrong information I may have just reported on. Feel free to jump on in.  Thanks!

Berwyn Patsy

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on October 31, 2006, 02:51:24 PM
Some of which include Pizza Hut, North Riverside, and a nice donation from a Re max realtor Steve Massarella who is promoting Berwyn as a good community with good schools and organizations such as CARES. 

Sorry - to clarify - generous donations have come from Tamale Hut Cafe in North Riverside and Steve Nasralla of ReMax in the Village.

Thanks!!

Ted

Pat,

What I thought was the most informative part of the evening was when the people from the Quality Education Committee spoke about the new principal and new attitude at Morton West and why they thought the tax increase was needed.

I think voters want to hear other residents of the community talk about the tax referendum.  With all due respect to Dr. Nowakowski, he is just an employee of the district.  I think having people who are your neighbors and residents of the community speak is a more powerful way to pursuade people to vote for the referendum.

And, again, I am disappointed that no District 201 board members spoke at any public forums (like the ABC forum) for the referendum or about why people should vote for the tax referendum.

Ted

Berwyn Patsy

Maybe the board members of 201 really do not realize how much of a impact they will be having on the outcome of this referendum?
I did hear 2 mom's that had kids in the school, agree that they and their children felt a (good) change was happening in the school this year.
I did wonder about 1 thing said.  Dr.Nowakowski said if the tax increase passed, the residents, and city did not need to  worry again for 20 years. I would hope some body would be on the ball in the next 20 years, just in case the district started to slip like it did in the last 20 years.  I guess a new board would prevent that from happening.

Bear

Perhaps you should be on that new board Patsy
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Robert Pauly

Quote from: Ted Korbos on October 31, 2006, 10:04:48 PM

And, again, I am disappointed that no District 201 board members spoke at any public forums (like the ABC forum) for the referendum or about why people should vote for the tax referendum.

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on November 01, 2006, 06:49:05 AM
Maybe the board members of 201 really do not realize how much of a impact they will be having on the outcome of this referendum?

Dr. Nowakowski still has a decent reputation, so it doesn't surprise me that he is their appointed salesman.  The board would have a negative effect on the outcome, if any.

OakParkSpartan

But ultimately it is the Board who makes the decisions about spending the money.  Until they are trustworthy, what's the point of letting  them waste our money with more poor decisions?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

dukesdad

I don't believe board members are allowed to speak out for or agaist the referendum. They are can answer direct questions or present facts about the referendum but are not supposed to offer personal opinions or recommendations.

Ted

Quote from: dukesdad on November 01, 2006, 08:57:15 AM
I don't believe board members are allowed to speak out for or agaist the referendum. They are can answer direct questions or present facts about the referendum but are not supposed to offer personal opinions or recommendations.

That is NOT true.  Board members are residents, voters and tax payers in this community and they have the right to speak in favor of or against any referendum they want.

When District 100 proposed referenda in the past, it was Joanne Zendol, Beth Pechous, Dawn Rinehart and other board members who spoke to voters about the referenda and asked them to pass it.  Same with the park district.   Ed Karasek and another park district board member spoke at the ABC forum.

What cannot be done is use District 201 resources to support the referendum (although the District seems to have gotten around that issue by putting out 3 newsletters.)

But any resident, even if they are a school board member, has a right to speak in favor of or against any referendum on the ballot.  Being on the school board does NOT preclude that.

Ted

dukesdad

Ed Karasek and Jeff Boyajian from the Park District spoke at the ABC meeting, but they did just what I mentioned, explained the issues and answered questions, they did not offer personal recomendations about how to vote.

robertcarr

The board members, as individuals, can advocate the tax increase. However, as a board (i.e., having a quorum) they cannot advocate or encourage any election proposal.

- Robert Carr

Shelley

I agree the board members can and should be the face of the tax increase.  They are the elected officials, our neighbors and fellow tax payers.  Theoretically, their word may hold more influence than that of an administrator who does not live in our community,though I think Nowakowski and especially the parent reps came across as very trustworthy.  I think the administration has been doing a good job this time around getting the word out and explaining the financial state of our district.  I think that the newsletter is a good use of tax dollars in terms of public relations and communication with the community.  I don't think the tax increase is mentioned specifically (probably because they are not allowed to spend on promoting the referendum), though it is kind of obvious that the purpose is to influence voters both by highlighting the programs (Theatre production schedule and sports schedule) and the financial challenges.  I hope they continue the newsletter after the election.  Maybe they could save on postage by having a few high traffic businesses in the community host a stack of them...maybe Jewels, restaurants, library, etc.  I remember when I lived in the city, I always knew where to find a Reader.  Come to think of it, that is a good idea for the CARES newsletter, too.  Is there an electronic copy on the website?

Shelley

mustang54

It was a wonderful meeting and i felt very constructive as all CARES meetings are. There were more points i wanted to make that evening and I'm sure the other parent from the committee who was there did to. But when the questions started being asked Dr. Nowakowski was the one who should and could provide the ansewers. I only wish a group like CARE had been formed a long time ago. You folks have truly made a difference in a short period of time.
  I think people need to hear that this is a new administration. I told someone after the meeting if someone wrote a book about leaders inheriting a huge mess the first 3 chapters might be about Dr. Nowakowski, Mayor O'Connor and Cicero President Dominick. I like all 3 of these men because i think they all have a passion for the kids of our community's.
  I just don't want to see our kids continue to pay the price for the mistakes of a few adults.
The past is the past and everyone must work towards the future. If this referendum fails that will mean another graduating class will be short changed again. These kids only have 4 years to determine how they will support themselves and their family's for the rest of their lives. They DON'T get to do it over. The problems at 201 were not created overnight and will not be cured overnight. But without additional funding it will never get fixed. It will only get worse for the students, and the teachers.

Count DMC

QuoteWhen District 100 proposed referenda in the past, it was Joanne Zendol, Beth Pechous, Dawn Rinehart and other board members who spoke to voters about the referenda and asked them to pass it. 

Do you really want to put these forth as "character " witnesses?
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Ted

Quote from: countdemontecristo on November 01, 2006, 05:51:12 PM
QuoteWhen District 100 proposed referenda in the past, it was Joanne Zendol, Beth Pechous, Dawn Rinehart and other board members who spoke to voters about the referenda and asked them to pass it. 

Do you really want to put these forth as "character " witnesses?

Yes, I do!    They are the people south Berwyn residents elected to run the District 100 schools and they had the guts to stand before the tax payers and voters of Berwyn and explain to them a few years ago why extra money was needed to build a new building.

Also, BTW, that referendum passed on the first try.  As I said, they had the guts to stand before the tax payers and take the heat themselves.  They did not leave that to an employee of the district.

At the CARES meeting, Dr. Nowakowski said that if the referendum fails next Tuesday, then the District will put it on the ballot for the February election.

So, ask yourself this question - Why did the District 100 referendum pass on the first try while District 201 may be going back to voters in Februrary for a 3rd try if the District 201 referendum does not pass on Tuesday?

Why would voters pass the District 100 referendum on its first try yet force District 201 to a 3rd try in 12 months?

The answer, I think, is a matter of trust.  The voters of District 100 trusted the District 100 school board, and agreed that the money was needed, so they voted in favor of the DIstrict 100 referendum.

I do not think that is the case with the DIstrict 201 referendum. 

Ted