ABC Canidate Forum for Morton College and Dist 201

Started by delbowz, March 16, 2007, 10:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delbowz

Mark and Ted did a great job!  As did Ed Rios and Tom McClain (the other Dist. 201 candidates).  I was also very impressed with the gentlemen running for Morton College Board.

I will post detailed notes on the candidates platform and the Q&A session later this evening (sorry for the delay, but notebook was left at home today).

I do want to give a special acknowledgement to Alderman Ramos and Alderman Phelan for taking time out to be there.  I was suprised that more of our city leadership was not in attendance.

Notes will be posted later...  I promise!

Denise
Life is too important to be taken seriously. - Oscar Wilde

Ted

Quote from: delbowz on March 16, 2007, 10:04:58 AM
Mark and Ted did a great job!  As did Ed Rios and Tom McClain (the other Dist. 201 candidates).  I was also very impressed with the gentlemen running for Morton College Board.

I will post detailed notes on the candidates platform and the Q&A session later this evening (sorry for the delay, but notebook was left at home today).

I do want to give a special acknowledgement to Alderman Ramos and Alderman Phelan for taking time out to be there.  I was suprised that more of our city leadership was not in attendance.

Notes will be posted later...  I promise!

Denise

Denise, thanks for the compliment.   I think many city leaders were at Alderman Brocato's funeral yesterday. It looked like those that did attend came in late and came right after the funeral.

Also, I want to apologize to Denise for confusing her with Julie (a.k.a. Juliet).  Rita, you're not the only one who got them confused.  <LOL>

Ted

delbowz

I'm starting to have an identity crisis!

;D

Denise

Berwyn Patsy

All the candidates were interesting .  They each gave a little back ground of themselves and what they would like to see happen in the districts.
Looks like the 2 new candidates from Cicero for the Morton College board should get your vote if you ask me.  That would be Victor Arendaris running for 2 year term and Gabe Gonzalez running for 6 year term.
It appeared to me that these 2 are also tired of the same old thing , time for change Cicero.
I am patiently waiting for Denise's recap and notes also.  Good to finally meet you Denise.

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on March 16, 2007, 04:42:11 PM
Looks like the 2 new candidates from Cicero for the Morton College board should get your vote if you ask me.  That would be Victor Arendaris running for 2 year term and Gabe Gonzalez running for 6 year term.

Pat, Gabe Gonzalez  lives in Berwyn, not Cicero.  Victor Armandariz lives in Cicero.

Berwyn Patsy

delbowz

I'm so sorry I didn't get this posted sooner!!! - Please add or correct any of my notes below - and also - note that the responses are not direct quotes from the candidates - but notes that I jotted as they were giving thier responses.

District 201 Candidates Present:
(Disclaimer: a lot of the platform notes were drawn from the candidates handouts.  Mr. Rios. Did not have a handout – but he seemed to be committed to the same focus as the others.

2 Year Seat:
Ted Korbos
Berwyn Resident; IVB member, Founder of BUNGALO, Founder of Berwyn C.A.R.E.S.
Impressive Resume includes a Bachelors and Masters in Mathematics
Platform:
Finances – Ask for a smaller long term tax increase that would generate $10 million/year in conjunction with a separate temporary capital expenditure tax that would be used to fix facilities and other capital improvements.
Academics  - Turn Freshman Center into a magnet school.  Built a second magnet school to serve Berwyn, Stickney and Lyons.  Require that students take an extra class / year.
Split the District
Teams (bring back the Falcons!)
Equal Representation – If the 201 District is not split, create an 11 member school board that is more geographically representative with 5 members from Cicero, 4 from Berwyn, 1 from Stickney/Forest View and 1 from Lyons/McCook.
Residency Checking
4 Year Seat:

Thomas McLain:
Long Term Berwyn Resident
Running on a plan to make our public high school one of which students, teachers, and administrators can be product:
Remove administrative waste and excess
Improve standard and reputation
Work toward division of the Berwyn/Cicero District
Support Strict Residency Requirements
Improve Sports Teams and bring back the Flacons.

Mark Titzer
Berwyn Resident
Over 10 years of experience with Fiscal Management and technology.
Platform:
Academic Achievement – Raise ACT scores and graduation rate, Increase percentage of graduates that go do college, Expand opportunities for high-achieving students, extend the school day.

Balance the Budget – Pass the tax increase referendum, Explore private grants and corporate donations, Lobby state lawmakers for education funding reform.

Community Connections – Establish partnerships with local businesses, Improve the district website, Widely distribute a district newsletter, Include student recognition at every board meeting.

Ed Rios
Berwyn Resident
Mirrored the platform of the other candidates – but added that he was running to give voters a Choice.  Ed said that the system needed money and the voters keep voting down the referendum b/c they don't  feel like they have a choice – they don't want to give the current administration more money.  He is running to make a difference – and to instill the trust in the voters so they will pass the tax referendum.

Q&A

Q: Despite the public sentiment, voting down the tax referendum in 3 separate elections, why has the board failed to enact financial discipline?

Tizer: There is an economic problem.  Our student body has grown by 5000- 8000 students, while out housing stock has stayed the same – so there's no increase in the tax base, no business expansion that isn't TIF'd, and the State rules on Levying taxes only allows you to raise it at the rate of inflation or 5% whichever is less.  So, we've faced an explosion in the number of students with no tax levy to support that increase.  The district is under funded – and this should have been addressed earlier.  We could cut every extra-curricular program in the school and the budget would still not be balanced.

Rios – No one wants to give the current board more money, it's a trust issue.

Q: Every candidate has expressed the NEED for getting the tax referendum passed, what would you do differently than the members of the current board to ensure that happens?

Korbos:  Appear before the public.  None of the current board members have gone out and spoke in public about the need for the increase.  Dr. Nowaski has been doing all of the talking.  No employee of the district is going to speak for me.  If I'm asking for the tax increase, I'll be there doing the talking.

McClain: There is a need to develop a plan for the money and communicate that plan to the voters.  The board members should be the ones communicating the plan. 

Q.  Mr Korbos – you mentioned looking at outsourcing some jobs, what areas will you look at outsourcing?

Korbos: Janitorial, Food Services, and Drivers Ed.

Q. What is your position on nepotism and conflicts of interest?

Rios: It's wrong.  It doesn't build organizations that work.  If vacancies are filled by family and friends, it doesn't offer the hope of a career path to other employees.  The best candidates should get the jobs – anything else is counter productive.

Korbos:  I'm against it.

Tizer:  The district should be focused on education, it should not be a cash cow for jobs.

McLain: We need to be educating our children, not employing adults.  Even if friends and family are qualified, it gives the perception of wrong doing.  That mistrust costs more in the long run.

Q:  School Board elections are supposed to be non-partisan.  Who of you has requested political endorsements and help for this election?

Korbos:  I have gone before the IVB to get their endorsement.

Titzer: I have requested the IVB endorsement.  I am not a member of any political party, and pride myself on being non-partisan. 

McClain:  I am an IVB member, and have requested their endorsement.

Rios: I went before the IVB, but would welcome the invitation to present to any political or other organization to state his platform.

Q: For Ted – you mentioned Magnet schools, what research have you done in opening one in Berwyn

Korbos:  It would have to go on a referendum to voters for the capital expense.  But today, you have the Freshman Center and Alternative Center both serving Cicero.  The perception is that Cicero is getting all the money and Berwyn is getting the crumbs.  If we invest in this school district, in 7 years we could have the academic equivalent of Fenwick.

Q: For Ted – you mention Equal Representation.  Do you still support that if the unit is split?

A.Yes, I would still support giving Lyons and Stickney a geographically balanced number of seats on the board.

Q.Is there data on why the voters have voted No the last three times, are they not happy with the education 201 offers, or are they thinking that more $$ is senseless.

Titzer/Korbos; the No vote has been a vote of no confidence to the current board.  District 201 has $50 million in reserve.  They have been running at a deficit of $7 – 8 million/year.  In 7 years, without a tax increase, the state will take over, and taxes will rise.

McLain – the current board hasn't gone out to find out why voters are saying no.  It will be 2009 before the tax increase can appear on the ballot again.

Rios:  People look at standardized tests to determine how well the educational system is working. 201's standardized test rates are very poor, and I think the community isn't happy with that.

Q: for Mark – you mentioned that cutting all programs wouldn't balance the budget – how much would it save, and where did you get your estimates?

Titzer: I was referring to all after school and sports programs (football, theater, band, etc.), and at the non education related costs for coaches, advisors, etc.  Looking at the budget available on-line, cutting those programs would only save $800,000 - $1 Million.  We're running at a $7 - $8/year deficit, so that won't close the gap. Also, we already have the shortest school day in the state, so cutting these after-school programs may do more harm than good.

Morton College:

Present were Gabe Gonzalez (4 year term) and Victor Aremandariz (2 year team).

I didn't take as extensive notes, but I can tell you that both of these candidates were committed to opening up the college board.  They felt that too much was done 'closed' - and no one knew where all the money was going.   Both Victor and Gabe were committed to getting fresh ideas and fresh faces on the 201 board, because the college gets the Morton Grads - and the stronger the studens are that come from 201, the stronger that Morton College becomes.

Both Gabe and Victor stressed INDEPENDENCE.  The board should not have ties to government - and really should represent the disres of an entire community - not of a select frew.

They menioned that Morton College is the 2nd oldest community college in the State, and for it to be in the position it is in is SAD.  Both candidates are opposed to nepotism and both have sought the endorsement of the IVB. 

Overall, I was VERY impressed with this slate of candidates, and wish them all the best.  I think this group of people is the right group to lead our School District to financial responsiblity and educational success.

Denise

Ted

Denise,

Very good re-cap.  I wanted to clarify what I said about magnet schools.  I believe that many people are happy with the grade schools in Berwyn but when their kids reach high school age, many make a decision to either leave Berwyn or send their kids to a private school.

I think having a magnet school in Berwyn with an academic equivalence of Fenwick would keep those families rather than moving out.   I also never liked the idea of a school building just for Freshmen.  I would turn the Freshmen Center in Cicero into a magnet school for Cicero kids.

I would present this idea (to fund and build a magnet school) to the voters in a referendum that would ask for a separate capital expenditure tax. The capital expensditure tax would be a temporary tax of 7 years that would be used to raise funds to build a magnet school.

Denise did a good job of capturing what we all said.

Ted

Juliet

Thank you Denise for a wonderful transcription.  I am very appreciative.

Ted, Mark and Tom are the three candidates that I know personally.  I'm so invigorated at the thought of the possibility of their intelligence being put to use at 201.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Bonster

jeezus Denise, quotes & all!  You write awfully fast! 

(u coulda mada a killing in college selling class notes ;D )

BTW, thanks!
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

delbowz

Quote from: Bonster on March 19, 2007, 02:36:00 PM
jeezus Denise, quotes & all!  You write awfully fast! 

(u coulda mada a killing in college selling class notes ;D )

BTW, thanks!

Bonster - I DID!!!  LOL - well, not a killing, but my Junior year I had one class that was very note intensive, and I did earn myself several free drinks and meals that way. 

Denise

Terri