A couple of reasons I'm attending Council mtgs. tomorrow...

Started by ~LL~, April 23, 2007, 04:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~LL~

Enticing agenda -- including:
*appointment of Alderman Brocato's widow to fill the vacancy
*the word 'veto' appears twice on the agenda (re: Library Trustee appointments -- or, maybe not...)
*Alderman Skyrd's 'communication' re:  rat control
*Draft ordinance of the 'daytime curfew' (truancy is what it is about, I think...)
*the word SUPERBLOCK...
*POLICE CHIEF-PROP. TO INCREASE FINES ASSOC. WITH COMPLIANCE TICKETS
*POLICE CHIEF-PROP. TO INCREASE"P"TICKETS FINES FOR CANNABIS VIOLATIONS
*POLICE CHIEF-FINE SCHEDULE FOR CANNABIS TICKETS

I am encouraged to hear about the proposed increase in fines for 'drug-related' violations and hope we really can sock it to the little potheads running around town -- actually, usually they are DRIVING around town when their stash is discovered...

If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

Bonster

What about other drugs?  Is pot presently legal here or something?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

~LL~

Quote from: Bonster on April 23, 2007, 05:13:36 PM

Police Chief is proposing increasing the existing fines for being in possession of cannabis.

Berwyn Patsy

I think the agenda will be interesting, but very contraversal.
Yes, I am talking about the appointment of Mrs. Brucato.  I have nothing against the very pleasant woman who I saw at council meetings a few times.
The whole appointment thing really doesn't have anything to do with it being Maureen Brucato, but I don't understand even if it was John Smith, how do you ignore the fact  that she has,I think 2 pending lawsuits against the city going on  What is OC thinking?   Maybe it's just me?

A.Malina

Quote from: LL-Schmidt on April 23, 2007, 05:17:08 PM

Police Chief is proposing increasing the existing fines for being in possession of cannabis.

Good move. Drivers are spaced out as it is, ignoring obvious traffic signs, other cars, and simple requirements like getting a license and insurance.  A growing number of city traffic stops seem to involve cars that are like rolling incense burners -- pot smoke filling the inside and floating out the window to greet the officer before he gets near the vehicle. 
"I have never killed a man but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow

Count DMC

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on April 23, 2007, 05:23:55 PM
I think the agenda will be interesting, but very contraversal.
Yes, I am talking about the appointment of Mrs. Brucato.  I have nothing against the very pleasant woman who I saw at council meetings a few times.
The whole appointment thing really doesn't have anything to do with it being Maureen Brucato, but I don't understand even if it was John Smith, how do you ignore the fact  that she has,I think 2 pending lawsuits against the city going on  What is OC thinking?   Maybe it's just me?

One was paid out very handsomely already to the grieving widow, but as the Fat Man has shown time and again ,logic by no means rules in the affairs of the city.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

Berwyn Patsy

I think I would have felt better if both law suits were way in the past, and not pending at a time of possible appointment  Just doesn't sit right with me, but  thats just my opinion.

Bonster

Quote from: A.Malina on April 23, 2007, 05:29:20 PM

Good move. Drivers are spaced out as it is, ignoring obvious traffic signs, other cars, and simple requirements like getting a license and insurance.  A growing number of city traffic stops seem to involve cars that are like rolling incense burners -- pot smoke filling the inside and floating out the window to greet the officer before he gets near the vehicle. 

Again, what about other drugs?  I don't get the focus on cannabis.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

I personally find it reprehensible that anyone with lawsuits pending against the city would even accept a nomination for public office in this city.  A complete conflict of interest as far as I am concerned.  How can you possibly even try to show any form of neutrality in terms of your opinions on the city's interests when you are sueing them?  No disrespect to the late Mr. Brocato - obviously a very much beloved leader in Berwyn.

Bonster

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on April 23, 2007, 07:41:12 PM
I personally find it reprehensible that anyone with lawsuits pending against the city would even accept a nomination for public office in this city.  A complete conflict of interest as far as I am concerned.  How can you possibly even try to show any form of neutrality in terms of your opinions on the city's interests when you are sueing them?  No disrespect to the late Mr. Brocato - obviously a very much beloved leader in Berwyn.

I don't understand the appointment, period! 
How about another vote, or an alternative plan for this.
Who goes if Erickson dies, Joe Cocker?

Count DMC

Quote from: MRS. NORTHSIDER on April 23, 2007, 07:41:12 PM

Forget the conflict of interest, that is a small thing here. This is all just one big club, City government who needs that? Accountability forget it, that is just a word, no meaning.

Former employees suing the City and geting nominated, millions of dollars in business given to a broker who pleads guilty to felony possession of cocaine, a City council that buries the plan to save the city millions by a simple switch in insurance, all to keep the good old boys going. Standard operating procedure.

But Big Mike was going to save us all.....Remember?

Remember , Remember the Fifth of November.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

MRS. NORTHSIDER

Count - I am beginning to get your drift and I am/was an OC person.  I did believe and am now beginning to wonder - I hope I did not put my faith in the wrong person.  I guess time will tell but I do know one thing - the people like me who backed OC and hated Marzullo and his crew will be more than happy to find ourselves another candidate! 

Berwyn Patsy

It does not make much sense, a person who is suing the city, is appointed by the mayor to do a job for the city, paid by the city with full health Insurance to boot.  What's wrong with this picture?  Not right.

apatriot

Alderman Brocato's wife has two lawsuits going.  What are they about?  Alderman Brocato was married to the woman so really it was his lawsuits too - No?  I mean if he was still alive and she received money from these suits it would be his money too - No?  What's going on?

Berwyn Patsy

I know the Mayor can appoint who ever he wants, and the council can vote nay or yea on who ever they want, but does any one ever look at the qualifications or is there any criteria for the position of Alderman, in these situations?
Or better yet, is there anything that would disqualify a candidate?  I am probably being naive here.
I just keep thinking, if the city is always worried about how to market Berwyn as a great community, open government and etc., this appointment if it happens ,really sheds some negativity on how Berwyn runs its government. Just my opinion.

~LL~

Quote from: Bonster on April 23, 2007, 06:06:44 PM
Quote from: A.Malina on April 23, 2007, 05:29:20 PM

1.  It is a start -- and we've got to start somewhere.
2.  In my personal opinion -- the 'fines'/penalty for cannabis possession were ridiculously low ('pocket change' to most offenders...).
3.  A bigger hit to their 'wallet' (or, their parent's wallet) MIGHT help imbed the 'illegal' part of it in what's left of their brains...

I've no real stats to back my 'opinion' --but  it just might be that cannabis is the most frequently/generally confiscated drug. 

Again, what about other drugs?  I don't get the focus on cannabis.

Northside7

What all of you have failed to mention is that Maureen Brocato is still collecting disability as a city of Berwyn employee.  Therefore, she is still technically employed with the city.  That disqualifies her right there.  End of story.  But you see, she has something the mayor needs, a yes vote, and he has something she needs, health insurance.  The truth as I see it.

pioneer

Terri

Northside7

The only huge leak is the air leaking out of your head sweetheart.