News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

9/9 City Council Agenda

Started by Ted, September 05, 2008, 07:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

Here is the agenda for this Tuesday's city council meeting.  The only thing controversial I see is Erickson's proposal to get rid of the Berwyn Rec Department, that is being permanently tabled by Ramos and Lovero.

BERWYN CITY COUNCIL MEETING

SEPTEMBER 9, 2008

DEAR ATTENDEE.....THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL WELCOME YOU. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT THIS IS A MEETING OF THE MAYOR AND COUNCIL MEMBERS AS OPPOSED TO A PUBLIC HEARING WHERE ATTENDEES ARE ENCOURAGED TO PARTICIPATE. UNLESS INVITED BY THE MAYOR TO SPEAK, YOU ARE REQUESTED NOT TO INTERRUPT. IF YOU ARE RECOGNIZED BY THE MAYOR, PLEASE PREFACE YOUR REMARKS BY STATING YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS FOR THE RECORD. THANK YOU.

MICHAEL A. O'CONNOR                                                                       THOMAS J. PAVLIK
MAYOR                                                                                                  CITY CLERK
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AGENDA
ROLL CALL
(A) PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - MOMENT OF SILENCE

(B) OPEN FORUM - (TOPIC MUST NOT BE ON THE AGENDA)

(C) PRESENTATION OF PREVIOUS MEETINGS MINUTES FOR APPROVAL
1. REG MTG-8/26/08-COW 8/26/08

(D) BID OPENING - TABULATIONS
1. PUB WKS-HOLIDAY DECORATIONS

(E) BERWYN DEVELOPMENT CORP.-BERWYN TOWNSHIP/HEALTH DISTRICT
1. BDC-TIF APP-RICARDO ZURITA-6535 W. CERMAK RD
2. BDC-TIF APP-AX COMPUTER-ERIC ALOVAR-6221 ROOSEVELT RD.

(F) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE MAYOR
1. LIBRARY BOARD RESIGNATION-DEBORAH CULLEN
2. LIBRARY BOARD REAPPOINTMENT-LOUISE SOMMESE
3. LIBRARY BOARD APPOINTMENT-MS.MARIA G. SALINAS
4. BUSINESS LICENSE INSPECTOR
5. PUBLIC WORKS-GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
6. ALLEY REPAIRS-1ST AND 3RD WARDS
7. 2ND QUARTER REPORTS (STAFF)

(G) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY CLERK
1. PUBLIC HEARING-VACATION OF PORTION OF GROVE AVENUE
2. REQ FROM BERWYN MAIN STREET TO CLOSE GUNDERSON AV SOUTH OF 22ND TO THE ALLEY

(H) COMMUNICATIONS FROM ( ZONING) BOARD OF APPEALS

(I) REPORTS AND COMMUNICATIONS FROM ALDERMEN, COMMITTEES OTHER BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS
1. REC COMM. MTG-ESTABLISH CITY BICYCLE ROUTE/PATH
2. REC COMM-REFERAL #37 4/10/07-ALD ERICKSON PROPOSAL TO DISSOLVE RECREATION DEPT-NO ACTION TAKEN
3. REC COMM-REFERAL #24 8/26/08-BASEBALL ALLEY NETTING
4. ALDERMAN WEINER-ZBA-POST MEETING SCHEDULES ON WEBSITE

(J) STAFF REPORTS
1. FINANCE DIR-RESOL-INTENT TO BORROW-DEBT RESTRUCTURE
2. PUB WKS DIR-REQ TO DECLARE PROPERTY SURPLUS
3. PUB WKS DIR-APPROVAL TO BID 2008 CDBG SIDEWALK PROGRAM
4. PUB WKS DIR-SNOW ROUTES REQ FOR QUOTES (RFQ)
5. PUB WKS DIR-SUPPLEMENTAL ENGINEERING AGREEMENT
6. PUB WKS DIR-CHANGE ORDER #1 FOR 2008 MFT CONTRACTUAL TREE TRIMMING
7. PUB WKS DIR-SUPPLEMENTAL MFT AUTHORIZATION DOCUMENTS
8. DIR OF COMMUNITY OUTREACH-CITY NEWSLETTER FOR APPROVAL
9. LAW DEPT-CASE 08 C2065 (U.S. DISTRICT CT FOR NORTHERN DISTRICT OF ILLINOIS)
10. LAW DEPT-RESOL-ESDA CORRDINATIOR

(K) CONSENT AGENDA: ALL ITEMS ON THE CONSENT AGENDA ARE CONSIDERED TO BE ROUTINE IN NATURE AND WILL BE ENACTED IN ONE MOTION. THERE WILL BE NO SEPARATE DISCUSSION OF THESE ITEMS UNLESS A COUNCIL MEMBER SO REQUESTS, IN WHICH EVENT THE ITEM WILL BE REMOVED FROM THE CONSENT AGENDA AND CONSIDERED AS THE FIRST ITEM AFTER APPROVAL OF THE CONSENT AGENDA

1. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYROLL-9/3/08-$812,146.65
2. BUDGET CHAIRMAN-PAYABLES-9/9/08-$1,157,197.79
3. COLLECTOR-BUSINESS LICENSES ISSUED-AUGUST, 2008
4. BUILDING DIR-BUILDING PERMITS ISSUED, AUGUST, 2008
5. RAMOS-HANDICAP SIGN-S. VARGAS-3623 HARVEY-DENY
6. LOVERO-HANDICAP SIGN-R. HICKS-1821 GROVE #1-DENY
7. ANNUAL KIWANIS PEANUT DAYS-9/25, 9/26/, & 9/27/08
8. ST. LEONARD CHURCH-OKTOBERFEST-10/4/08
ITEMS SUBMITTED ON TIME 35
In accordance with the provisions of the Americans with disabilities Act, any individual who is in the need of a reasonable accommodation in order to participate in or benefit from attendance at a public meeting of the City of Berwyn should contact Thomas J. Pavlik, City Clerk at 708/788-2660 as soon as possible before the meeting date.

Ted

It also looks like the city wants to vacate part of Grove avenue between 34th street to the Burlington tracks and vacate Gunderson just south of Cermak road.

Bonster

Quote from: Ted on September 05, 2008, 07:59:28 PM
The only thing controversial I see is Erickson's proposal to get rid of the Berwyn Rec Department, that is being permanently tabled by Ramos and Lovero.

Why? 

Is someone afraid of change?
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Ted

Quote from: Bonster on September 05, 2008, 08:16:01 PM
Quote from: Ted on September 05, 2008, 07:59:28 PM
The only thing controversial I see is Erickson's proposal to get rid of the Berwyn Rec Department, that is being permanently tabled by Ramos and Lovero.

Why? 

Is someone afraid of change?

In reading the full packet, I think it is because Erickson does not come to any of the committee meetings to discuss it.  Erickson is on the rec committee, this has been on the agenda to discuss several times and, according to the memo in the full packet, Erickson never shows up to discuss his own proposal.

Ted

Bonster

At least he has or suggests a proposal (read: original thought), unlike other obstructionist council members we know of...
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Berwyn Patsy

What do you think vacate Grove Ave., from 34th street to the burlington tracks mean?
The Street , the condos?

Ted

Quote from: Berwyn Patsy on September 05, 2008, 08:26:06 PM
What do you think vacate Grove Ave., from 34th street to the burlington tracks mean?
The Street , the condos?

Pat,

It sounds like the portion to vacate is 3 feet wide and 250 feet long from the alley to Windsor on the west side of the street (is what I understand from the reading of the full packet).  Sounds like they are vacating the area next to Salerno's and La Notte's?  Not sure why?

What I would worry about are the cars that come over the tracks down Grove avenue.  I don't think making Grove avenue narrower in that particular area is a good idea. It seems like there are enough traffic problems in that area already.

Ted

Bear

Check todays Life, there is a legal for this parcel in the
classified section. It is only a three foot wide section, has to
do with the parking garage, however the description is worded
rather funky, I will have to re-read it again.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Ted

Quote from: Bear on September 05, 2008, 08:35:43 PM
Check todays Life, there is a legal for this parcel in the
classified section. It is only a three foot wide section, has to
do with the parking garage, however the description is worded
rather funky, I will have to re-read it again.

It occurred to me that maybe it's the parkway being vacated for the garage and not part of the street.

Ted

Did anyone attend the city council meetig last night?  Did anything happen that was significant?