Berwyn Township Board of Trustees Meeting, July 2009

Started by Terri, July 13, 2009, 07:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Township Board of Trustees Meeting is tonight at 6:30pm, 6600 W. 26th Street.

Noble Falcon

Just wondering if the Berwyn Township trustees get paid? I know in other townships the trustee's are paid $300 a meeting.... :usa:

~LL~

Quote from: Noble Falcon on July 13, 2009, 01:50:15 PM
Just wondering if the Berwyn Township trustees get paid? I know in other townships the trustee's are paid $300 a meeting.... :usa:

I believe Berwyn Township Trustees do get a small annual salary--and certainly no where near $300.00 a meeting.  Still don't quite understand what Berwyn Township Trustees actually do.
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

n01_important

Stupid fuck

Cathy

I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

Terri

Berwyn Township Board of Trustees meeting July 13, 2009, 6:30pm

Open Forum:
I asked if there was a plan was for Mosquito Abatement.  Beth Pechous told me it was discussed at the Health Department meeting held today at noon. Tom Pavlik explained that PW handles mosquito abatement and the health dept. follows suggestions from the IDPH. Mosquito's that carry west nile virus are not a danger in the Midwest because current weather is not conducive to their breeding.
I then asked about the marketing of Township programs and how residents receive information about programs. Beth Pechous mentioned lack of a good newspaper and plans to request a city website link to the Township.

Town Fund and General Assistance Funds Payable and Payroll July 2009: Approved
Town Fund and General Assistance Profit and Loss June 2009: Approved

Old Business: Receipt for filing 2009-2010 Budget and Appropriation: Informational

Deferred Budget Mental Health District 708: A public hearing was held, 3 people attended. Mental Heath Board serves residents with disabilities, mental health and substance abuse issues funding 12 local agencies. It was discussed that agencies in Cicero receive some of the 708 board funds. There will be a $14,000 increase in tax levy for the 708 board. This was not explained and only the Trustees had a copy of the numbers under discussion.

Health Fair recap: There was low attendance at the Health Fair held in June.
Health Fair costs: Health District $2708.57, Donations $460.00, Township $862.25 and 708 Board $500.00

Request for change of Township Meeting Date August 2009: There is a conflict with a SD 100 trial, Beth Pechous is a member of SD100 school board and needs to be present at the trial. Township meeting date was changed to Wednesday Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:30pm.

Request for additional Youth Crossroads funding: YC requested additional funds. Request was denied because the funding was not within the Township budget, additional funding was granted last year, not fair to other agencies if their request was granted. Last year additional funding was granted to YC for $7000 and Access to Care $1000.00

Township Officials of Illinois (TOI) Conference, Springfield: Trustees will attend. Membership to TOI will be renewed at a cost of $1056.00 per year.

Terri

A few other things.

I found out the Health District meets the second Monday at noon and consists of Beth Pechous, Al Keveton and Tom Pavlik.  

The Dental Director for the Health District is leaving to work for Stickney Township. I was told she began proactive dental exams and sealants for the children at Berwyn school and she was very good. The Health District hopes to find a replacement.

A full time office person named Josie was hired to work at the Township office.  

Al Kevton, Berwyn Township Assessor said tax appeals will open within the next three weeks.

Terri

Any ideas as to how the Township can reach residents?  IMO, the Township website is difficult to locate, I found it from a google search. Do residents needing Township and Health Department services have access to the internet? What about seniors?

Cathy

Thank you Terri.

I certainly do not believe residents that are in need of services from Township have computers.   When MOM, Inc was in business I would send certain families to Township.  None knew about the services. 

One suggestion; why doesn't Berwyn create a small handbook with all the City services available.  This could go home with each child in their back pack.  They can be handed out at the Senior Center.  These handbooks could be placed at the Library, City Hall, Township, Churches, Doctors Offices etc.  Of course, it would have to be bi-lingual. 
I thought I would have to teach my children about the world, instead I have to teach the world about my children.

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: Cathy on July 14, 2009, 03:21:38 PM
Thank you Terri.

I certainly do not believe residents that are in need of services from Township have computers.   When MOM, Inc was in business I would send certain families to Township.  None knew about the services. 

One suggestion; why doesn't Berwyn create a small handbook with all the City services available.  This could go home with each child in their back pack.  They can be handed out at the Senior Center.  These handbooks could be placed at the Library, City Hall, Township, Churches, Doctors Offices etc.  Of course, it would have to be bi-lingual. 

Our tax dollars already do that.  The BDC puts out a community guide.  That information could easily be included.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

buzz

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

Berwyn Patsy

Terri, didn't the Community relations have a "welcome packet",
available to new members of the community??
Was any thing included in that packet regarding the services that  the township has to offer the residents?   If not, maybe the new director can put
a plan into place?

Cathy

Question:

Does the City of Berwyn or Township of Berwyn have a grant writer?

BRoWN

Quote from: Cathy on July 14, 2009, 05:10:34 PM
Question:

If so....does that person know how to produce and present a good business plan? Does he/she have excellent accounting skills? I'm aware that that's asking too much but makes a grant writer all the better.

Terri

Quote from: BRoWN on July 14, 2009, 05:25:44 PM
Quote from: Cathy on July 14, 2009, 05:10:34 PM
Question:

If so....does that person know how to produce and present a good business plan? Does he/she have excellent accounting skills? I'm aware that that's asking too much but makes a grant writer all the better.
The Township is a different taxing body than the city, I don't know if they've applied for grants. JeanMarie/Community Outreach applied for many of Berwyn's grants, her position was cut. I'm told Brian Pabst has tons of experience, I would think one would be that of a grant writer.

Community Relations did include Township information but only to new residents. As OPS pointed out the Township is listed in the BDC guide, I don't think it is enough.  A simple postcard mailed to each household wouldn't be too costly. Bottom line, money is taken out of our taxes for Township services and those in need should be informed the Township is there to assist.  

@Patsy, I don't see any reason CR wouldn't continue with the new resident info.