News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

8th Ward meeting - 8/27/09

Started by Bonster, August 31, 2009, 10:14:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonster

The first 8th Ward meeting was held at Commodore Barry on Thursday.

It was much calmer than an Erickson meeting, though most of the usual hotheads were not in attendance.  Plus, I think the wife and I were the only ones there under 50, LOL.
Speakers included Alderman Nora Laureto, Mayor Bob Lovero, Chief Kushner, and Vito Campanile from Berwyn's Little League baseball.  Also in attendance were some trustees and the District 98 Board President. 

Vito Campanile talked about the program and their great successes this year.  Apparently much of Berwyn used to play for Cicero's leagues (Clam?), and they've finally redrawn the boundaries such that our kids play for Berwyn now.  Gotta love that homegrown talent.

Nora talked about her ambitions, starting with blight control in the 8th Ward.  I guess there are some foreclosed properties being used as dumping grounds as a complement to 8th Ward's General Blight and Major Disrepair.  She's also focusing on some less than appealing businesses in the ward as well.  She promises to be very responsive and is working on a web site.  One lady in back stood up and proclaimed she's already noticed a great difference in the level of responsiveness since Nora took over.  Let's hope it continues.

People asked questions ranging from parking, dead alley lights, alley blight/trash, ugly cars on the streets (yep), animals (opossum, raccoons, cats, feral cats), recycling questions, all of which were non-issues to me.  (My next door neighbors' issues are non-issues to me in that respect, though.)  One person from the 6th or 7th Ward (19th & Euclid) attended and spoke of some new gang graffiti originating from a Chicago neighborhood, worried they are "invading" our city. 

The question was asked about the reduction of Zone Liaison officers by half; apparently they're reducing them to one.  The reason was as Nazerac suggested: one officer can keep track of the issues better than 7 individuals.  The single point of contact Liaison officer is Carmelita Terry.  I do not have her contact info handy.

I offered my resolutions for the alley lights & recycling (call Public Works and Waste Management, not ComEd or the City).  Waste Management faxed me a 7 page document outlining their services as per Berwyn's contract, specifically (I've posted snippets here).  After the meeting I suggested that be emailed to the city, converted to PDF, and placed on the city's website.  They should be made available at City Hall as well for those without Internet access.

Bob Lovero talked about the state of things - many projects in store; council being on the same page should help those endeavors.  He acknowledged there are some financial issues but didn't whine about things - said they'll work them out and move forward.  Bob and Chief Kushner talked about comparing Cicero's gang enforcement ordinances to ours along with information from the state, and will work on new solutions together.  I wanted to ask about getting to the root of some issues with bad landlords who allow these miscreants in, but the Q&A was cut short around 8pm.  We have read in the Life they are looking to crack down (no pun intended) on them, though.  Hopefully they'll draft an ordinance with teeth.

Bob ended by stating he's a North Berwynite, grew up in the 8th Ward, went to school with Nora (she used to protect him), feels this is still his home, and wouldn't have moved from his bungalow even had he lost the election.  He also talked about progress on Roosevelt, which they're pushing hard since Eisenhower resurfacing is set to begin in 2010.  It is given that much bypass traffic will be clogging Roosevelt next year, so they'd like to get some of the streetscaping initiatives finished by then to help promote the city.  This will be prime location for BDC advertising...

Folks chatted for a bit afterward, I chowed some cookies, then hit the adjacent bar with my 80yr old next door neighbor who was buyin' Old Style on tap.  :)
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

Berwyn Patsy

Good job Bons, I thought it was Jimmy Olson  reporting!  lol.
I hope others follow your lead, attend their ward meetings, and
post on BT for others to read.

Ana

Re Ugly Cars, just last week I mentioned to my kids as I was driving around town that they should give tickets to people with UGLY cars, they laughed at me.   :fiveoh:

Carmelita Terry will be the liaison for the entire City?  That's the way it was in 2005, right?

"There is a community-policing officer who coordinates our neighborhood watch meetings, block captains, and newsletters. Her name is Officer Carmelita Terry and she can be reached at CTerry@ci.berwyn.il.us or 708-795-5600 ext. 111. Hopefully, we can all continue to work together in creating a proactive approach to ensure that our neighborhoods are safe for future generations.  Meanwhile, I will personally look into the 2100 block of Euclid and would be happy to meet with any of the neighbors that have concerns."

http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=626.0
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Ana

I'd like to say this is welcome foresight, would you agree?

"[Lovero] also talked about progress on Roosevelt, which they're pushing hard since Eisenhower resurfacing is set to begin in 2010.  It is given that much bypass traffic will be clogging Roosevelt next year, so they'd like to get some of the streetscaping initiatives finished by then to help promote the city.  This will be prime location for BDC advertising..."
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.  - Bill Cosby

Bonster

Actually, it's just sight, but welcome nonetheless.  It's still on the original time line, yet after the Ike resurfacing project was made known there was thought they might have to delay streetscaping. 

Bonster

Quote from: Ana on September 01, 2009, 01:14:27 PM
Carmelita Terry will be the liaison for the entire City?  That's the way it was in 2005, right?

Sort of. 

I think the idea of local Zone Liaisons is good in theory, but it didn't pan out on an individual basis.  I had a number of them in my "zone," and I can tell you some were much less effective than others.  So if you were stuck with one of those you were somewhat SOL. 

I wonder if that's the same contact info?  I don't recall her passing any cards out. 

Ana

Sandy

I never had a problem with Officer Terry, so it should be fine. As for the 8th Ward meeting, when, how, and where was it announced?
"Modern cynics and skeptics see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to those to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."
John F. Kennedy

Berwyn Patsy

In Bonster's report on the Ward meeting he writes:
   "Bob & Chief Kushner talked about Cicero's gang enforcement
    ordinances to ours with information from the state, and will work
    on new solutions together".

Sounds like (even though, others question his position) Chief Kushner
is very much in charge and is working very well with the new Mayor.
Just my opinion.

Bonster

Quote from: Sandy on September 18, 2009, 02:47:51 PM
I never had a problem with Officer Terry, so it should be fine. As for the 8th Ward meeting, when, how, and where was it announced?

Nora was passing out flyers at the Roosevelt Street Fair, and first told me when I caught her walking up and down the street talking to residents a few weeks prior.  I forgot to post it here, but it was fairly packed.  She said she may rent out a larger space next time.  Also, it was on the Berwyn website at http://calendar.berwyn-il.gov/