News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Budget Committee Meeting

Started by Terri, February 24, 2010, 08:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

There is a Budget Committee meeting tonight at 5:00pm at City Hall.

Terri

These are my notes from the Budget Committee meeting last night.

The 2010 City of Berwyn budget draft will be presented to Alderman at the Committee of the Whole (COW) on March 9th, then a public hearing on the budget will he held prior to the March 23 Council meeting. Alderman may vote to approve the budget on that date unless the Alderman request changes. The entire budget must be approved and filed in Springfield by March 31st.  

Brian Pabst thinks the budget should be available on the City of Berwyn website on March 10, 2010 although he needs to confirm the date with the Clerk.  

Department heads have reviewed the budget and made cuts accordingly. Its just my thought but Alderman should presently have copies to review and make suggestions to the budget committee prior to the target dates.

The General fund is a whopping $13,425.00, this is after the 15% residential tax increase and cuts from various city departments. Not good news. Brian Pabst said the city will again restructure bonds in October if interest rates remain low. The Police and Fire department received funding from these bonds, I assume to be paid into the pension fund.

Bewyn is owed 5 million dollars from State income taxes, a travesty because taxpayers have paid the state. Why should we be any different than the schools, they're not getting money either.

The 911 Board increased funding to the city in the amount of $100,000, only to  be used for dispatchers salaries.  

Alderman Skyrd requested four additional blight inspectors. Two of the four blight inspectors are budgeted and they will divide one full time inspector for the other two positions.  

Commonwealth Edison billed the city for the Police Department, money will be reimbursed. Are certain public buildings exempt from paying electric? The dollar amount that was paid was not reveled.

Attention homeowners;  Nicor undercharged some customers on the municipal tax portion of their bill. Most likely the amount owed is reported to be five to seven dollars per household.  

After the meeting I was able to ask Alderman Chapman, Brian Pabst and finance director John Wysocki why the payroll increased by $48,522.37 on the February 22nd City Council agenda. They guessed this may be a payout for a retired employee, but couldn't be sure. I want them to be sure.  

Bonster

Quote from: Terri on February 25, 2010, 03:29:51 PM
Alderman Skyrd requested four additional blight inspectors. Two of the four blight inspectors are budgeted and they will divide one full time inspector for the other two positions.  

I'm sure many in this town would do that on a volunteer basis.
   ... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

dukesdad

QuoteAre certain public buildings exempt from paying electric?

I believe all city property is provided electric free of charge as part of the city's franchise agreement with Comed. As far as I know that is normal practice with municipalities.