News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Real Estate Tax Assesments

Started by Homebody, June 14, 2005, 11:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Homebody

All Berwyn homeowners have been hit with an assessment increase. A neighbor of mine received a solicitation letter from a firm that does tax assessment appeals. They collect $100.00 up front which is non-refundable. They also get 50% of what ever they are able to save the homeowner. Watch out! The Berwyn Assessor's office will do this service for you and not charge anything. The Assessor's office is located in the Berwyn Health Department building on 26th St. Call them first for an appointment. I think the deadline for filing appeals is in July. Check you tax assessment notice.

shrugger

Quote from: Homebody on June 14, 2005, 11:24:22 AM
All Berwyn homeowners have been hit with an assessment increase. A neighbor of mine received a solicitation letter from a firm that does tax assessment appeals. They collect $100.00 up front which is non-refundable. They also get 50% of what ever they are able to save the homeowner. Watch out! The Berwyn Assessor's office will do this service for you and not charge anything. The Assessor's office is located in the Berwyn Health Department building on 26th St. Call them first for an appointment. I think the deadline for filing appeals is in July. Check you tax assessment notice.

thanks for the warning.

as a very new and first-time homeowner, I've been wondering about this. just like everyone else (I think), the assessment on our place did a big jump (around 40%). it is of course in my interests to appeal and argue for a smaller tax bill, but I don't really know if I have any justification for doing so. are other people taking their's to the Assessor's office just to "see what you can get", or do you have a particular reason for doing so? is it worth my time to go through the appeal process?
we must cultivate our garden