News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Our Schools - Thoughts & Ideas

Started by T-Stan RPCV, July 02, 2005, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Stan RPCV

It seams that the topics the generate the most concern are overcrowding in Berwyn and the performance of the school systems.  We've all been vocal about overcrowding - causes & potential solutions but the school system appears to get little attention.

Honestly, how many of us know the names of our school board members, their backgrounds or what was on the last board meeting agenda? (I don't)

Just to get the ball rolling. Can anyone explain if there are actual  discrepencies in our salary structures compared to other districts? And if so, why? (this applies to either district 98, 100 or Morton).

The next SD 100 Board of Education Meeting is Weds. July 28 at LaVerne Educational Center.  I'll try to attend.

Juliet

The Board of Education consists of seven members, and each member is elected to a term of four years.  Regular meetings of the Board of education are held on the fourth Wednesday of each month at 7:00 p.m.  During some months, there are two Board of Education meetings.  All of the Board of Education meetings are open to the public and are held at the LaVergne Education Center at 3401 S. Gunderson Avenue.  Listed below are the members of the District 100 Board of Education.

Joanne Zendol, President
Elizabeth Pechous, Vice President 
James E. Swicionis, Secretary
Joseph Davini
Frank Cimaglia 
Dawn Rinehart
Joanne Jacklin

Joanne is an employee of Art Flo, and was a very active district 100 parent when her children went through Emerson and long after they graduated.  She has been on the school board for 16 years.
Beth Pechous is an employee of the Health Dept. and has been an active District 100 parent, having had two children go through dist 100 and graduate, and has another child who will go through the system.  She's been on the board for ten years, I believe.
Jacklin and Davini's  kids went through Emerson and they were active parents.
Jim is a Berwyn business man, attorney, actively involved in community.  He sits on YMCA BOARD.
Frank berwyn officer.
Dawn is an active District 100 parent, and on the PTA of the new middle school, Freedom.  She has one child who has graduated from district 100, one current, and one who will in the future.  She is secretary to the Mayor.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

T-Stan RPCV

Thanks Juliet, somehow I knew you'd provide a quick response.

At least one of us has a good foundation to begin discussions and I'm sure there are a few more.  Our schools are an important issue and the participants on this board can be a great asset to improve community involvement.  I personally would like to learn much more about our local education system.

Juliet

YW, T Stan.  I think education is probably one of the things that is the closest to my heart.  I've cheered, I've cried, I've fought for education in Berwyn.  I can't imagine NOT being passionate about educating our youth.  I'm surely not an expert, but I do care.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

mom

District 98 mostly turned over recently. Anthony (Tony) Laureto is the President and is a Berwyn firefighter. Bob Swade has been on the board forever. The others are Patricia Ortiz,, Barb Krause, Antonie Pyzik, Mary Doman, and Cristy Demes. Of these, Cristy is the only one I know. She is an involved parent with several children in or about to enter the district. Personally, I have not paid much attention as I should recently. Anyone with more info?
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Paul Fuentes

Stan,

Berwyn teachers average 20 to 25 percent less than state average.  And that has been a coonsistent deficit for at leat the past 4 years.  At the same time, administrators earn slaries equivalent to state average.  In fact, in defending his salary, Marzullo quipped about making less than some administrators.  Another problem is that some schools spend less of their budget on instruction than state average.  I have the info for all the schools.  Just email me for what you want.

Paul