News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Hiawatha PTA

Started by T-Stan RPCV, August 31, 2005, 02:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Stan RPCV

I just returned from our orientation meeting with my daughter's new kinder. teacher.   Ms. W appears to be a very nice lady and we are excited to work with her.  More importantly my daughter thinks she's "great!".

I went to the main office and asked about the PTA.  It appears that the PTA is in a "restructuring" phase.  In other words, it is not organized.  School is starting and there is no PTA president, no scheduled meetings, no information for parents. There is no sign up form or membership info. period.  The teacher and office receptionist indicated there was very little parent involvement or interest.  I'm not sure whether the lack of  interest is related to parents, failure of the PTA/school to promote its activities or both.

I indicated that I would be willing to help in a volunteer, organizing,  leadership role or where ever they could use me.  They took my number and indicated someone would be in touch.  We'll see what comes of it.

I'm very disappointed to find this out.  We spend so much time speculating how to improve schools through community involvement and I come to learn that the Hiawatha PTA, the most basic and obvious approach, is for shit.  Perhaps this is a symptom of what is wrong with our schools.

If anyone is a member of the Hiawatha PTA or has any info, please let me know.  Post here or send me a personal message.  The school year is starting and now is the time to fix what appears to be broken.  

Juliet

Rob, my friend has been Hiawatha's PTA President for the last five years.  She's going to be calling you today.  Last year they sent out 500 letters asking for someone to step in, and they got one response.  She's a dynamo and she's got 2 kids in 2 schools now, one in Freedom, plus she works with me at the Preschool.  She can't be a one woman show.  

Is anyone else willing to help out Hiawatha?
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Juliet

After spending the last school year at Irving, I was AMAZED at their PTA.  Those parents are dynamos!  The entire Heritage PTA execute officers are made up of Irving Parents this year I believe, giving it probably the strongest PTA it has ever had. 
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

T-Stan RPCV

Thanks Juliet! 

Your friend called and calmed some of my concerns.  I know very little about PTA and we set up a meeting to help me get started with the learning curve.  She appeared to be very enthusiastic but indicated that the current Hiawatha PTA consists of 2 board members and 2 members (I'm being generous and counting the board members as members so I don't have to say 0 current members).

I was disappointed with what I learned today about the apathy in the community, but it did identify a need and that's always the first step.

Thanks again.

T-Stan RPCV

Glad to hear that Hiawatha may be the exception and not the rule.  It would be good to get ideas from other PTAs.  Find out what has worked and what hasnt.  No need to reinvent the wheel.

mom

I wish the same could be said for North Berwyn.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shelley

T-Stan,

How did the first couple of weeks of school go?  Any progress on the PTA?  Anyone else want to report the good/bad/ and ugly from Berwyn schools??  What kind of work is going on in the classrooms?  Any interesting projects/lessons?  Too much homework?  not enough?  Let's hear some 1st hand reports.

Shelley

T-Stan RPCV

So far I've not been impressed (except for the K-teacher who seams very nice).  It has only been a couple of weeks so I'm going to give it some time before becoming a pain in their ass.

Here are my concerns so far.  Please let me know if you think I'm over reacting (this is my first kid in a school system):

1) The school handbook states that parent teacher meetings in the spring are only for parents with students having difficulties.  It explains that this is due to time constraints.   I will have a conference with my daughter's teacher.  I'll demand it and get it.  Regardless, this may be a symptom of an underlying philosophy that troubles me.

2) My daughter can read most kids books front to cover.  Not that she is more intelligent, we just took extra time to get her ahead.  Her homework is how to identify and write her ABCs.  There does not appear to be any options for helping her progress and I fear she'll get bored.  

Too much time is being spent on the kids with difficulties while those that are average or above average are "left behind".

I had to cancel the meeting with the PTA president.  My brother got married and we had lingering relatives in town that needed attention.  There is a meeting tomorrow at the school.  I'm curious as to what they have to say.  Regardless, if you see my house on the market next spring, you'll know why.

pkd50

When it comes to your kids, there is no such thing as over reacting....go with your gut feeling.      Did you check out the schools here before you bought your home?   Do you think they have become worse through the years or better?   I'm interested because I have 4 new great neighbors that will be looking at schools in a few years.   I'd hate to loose them, but I know that they will go if they aren't happy with the schools.

mom

Granted, I am in the other school district, but we have the same stipulations for spring conferences. I have never, however, had a problem scheduling a talk with my children's teachers. Just ask. They actually like it when parents take the time to be involved. Since the first one started, I always make it a point to give the teachers our phone numbers, my cell number, our e-mail addresses and permission to contact us with ANY concerns.

As for your problem with your child being possibly bored - it is not just in Berwyn schools. My sister lives in Villa Park - her daughter reads at a second grade level and just started KDG. There are no services available for gifted children this young. Many school systems are struggling with this. My suggestion would be to supplement what she is learning in school with activities at home. Exceptional children require exceptional parenting. With the extra support you seem to be giving her already, you are on the right tract.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Bear

T-Stan....I would give it the first semester, if it does not work out I would
take a look at St Odilo or St Leonards. Yes catholic schools, if you are
non-denominational or of another faith, no prob they respect any situation.
Yes its going to cost you but I guarantee satisfaction regarding your childs
education....And its cheaper than moving
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

T-Stan RPCV

PKD - To be perfectly honest, we did check out schools in Berwyn prior to purchasing our home.  Our objective was to get in the housing market, build up equity and get out before she reached kindergarten.  Things changed, turns out we like Berwyn more than we had anticipated and decided to give the schools a chance.

Thinking about my reaction to lack of community involvement and other problems with the schools it is very likely that I am biased.   My concern with the schools has been long standing and it may be that I'm now looking for any small reason to pick on the system.

My wife and I have had some long discussions and education is far and away our #1 priority.  Whether Berwyn's schools are good or not we need to feel in our minds that we are doing all we can to provide what is best for our daughter.  

Suzy Q

Usually kids are not tracked until they get to 1st grade.  Express you concerns to the teacher.  If you are not satisfied, take it up with the principal.  I have found most teachers to be accomadating.  Don't just stew about it.  It's your right to question certain practices.

T-Stan RPCV

So far the teacher has been great.  She is willing to meet with us whenever upon request.  I just look at the class size statistics, the comment about conferences in the handbook, the lack of community participation in education and have to wonder: are we providing the best situation that we can for our daughter?

Berwyn Patsy

I hope all you young parents stay and give our public school system a fight.It's going to take a few more of parents like T-Stan to make a go of our educational structure, but I really think you the parents coming up can make a difference. Your children only deserve the best.

mom

Please, stay and fight. We do need parents who are willing to do this instead of running away. I don't know of any school district where every parent feels it is good enough. There are peoople trying to sneak into every school district from Chicago to LaGrange and Western Springs. Even if the grass looks greener, why not stay and try to improve your own?

Robert Pauly

I'm curious - I've got a 4 year-old - what's the rush in teaching them to read?

mom

As far as my neice is concerned, she is advanced partially because she is a "bonus baby". Her sibs were 13 & 16 when she was born. They are both very intelligent and no one in the family believes in "talking down" to children. So she was exposed to books and reading for fun just by observing her family and being read to. We were actually surprised when she started reading her books aloud. Both my sister and I have extensive home libraries and are usually reading at least one book at a time. We took her to the library and got something we knew she didn't already know and were blown away when she actually read it. 

Of course, my sis now has to get used to little ponys and naked barbie dolls all over the house again.   ::)

Bear

Don't forget the Barbie shoes and stuff that
you get to step on early in the morning in
bare feet
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...