News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Return of the Falcon??

Started by Shelley, September 05, 2005, 10:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelley

I agree with just me...split up the sports and give these schools their own identity.  The current combination discourages participation by simply making it very inconvenient.  There are kids who may want to participate in team sports, but don't bother because there are not enough spots on a team or the hassle of having to catch a bus to the other campus for practice and then take the bus back to WEst after dark and walk home or wait for mom.  There is probably an hour of total commute time for each practice.  It may also be hard for kids to participate in more than one activity because of the different locations.  I remember some kids in high school rushing from the classroom to the student council office for a quick meeting to the locker room to make it to a team practice.  I don't think kids can fit all this in if they have to get right on the bus to head over to East.  Statistics support the idea that kids who participate in sports and other school activities do better in school and are less likely to drop out.  If we split the schools into seperate teams, wouldn't we have twice as many kids able to participate?  I know it is probably not a significant amount, but is it possible that the increase in participation would increase the attendance at games just by doubling the amount of parents/families/friends coming out to support their kid, thus adding some revenue?  I think the climate of the schools would change and be much more exciting and spirited.  It is hard to get excited about homecoming when the star player doesn't even go to your school.  This decision should be made based on what is best for the KIDS and the schools in general.  It should not be based solely on finances or winning records, though I know this must play into it. 

I'm going to start a new topic properly titled under education starting with this comment.  I'd love to hear from some teachers / students at Morton West (current and former) on this topic.  If you know of any, please inform them of this site and get them registered.

Juliet

I graduated from Morton East in 1982.  There was a healthy rivalry between Morton East and Morton West.  Our homecoming games were always East vs. West.

My teenager does not attend Morton West, but rather a smaller, private high school.  In this high school, he is able to try out for any sports team and have a chance of making it.  Kids are able to try out for musical or theatrical productions, even if they have never acted before, and most likely be given a chance to compete or perform.  This leads me to the conclusion that you must really need to be the best of the best to earn a spot on the Morton team.  Since so many kids attend both sites, how many are actually chosen?  I realize that you have to try out for sports at most schools, or audition for a theatrical role, but the ratio of how many children we can actually accomodate as opposed to how many children there are at both campuses has to be a very discouraging one for the student who would like to try something he or she has never tried before.

I'm all for giving back Morton East its standard maroon color and giving Morton West back its green.  Are we not a civilized enough society where two neighboring public schools can proudly display school colors and have it not be about gangs and unhealthy rivalry?  I certainly hope the Mustang and Falcon can be resurrected to provide more opportunities for involvement and school spirit.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

OakParkSpartan

Juliet,

Not being a smart ass, but given I hear so little about Morton sports, are any of the teams any good?  For instance, I know Proviso East has sent kids in both football (Terry Love) and hoops (Shannon Brown, Dee Brown, Callaway?) on to Division 1 scholarships.  What about Morton?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Morton has produced OUTSTANDING girls softball teams, but that's really about all. Basketball and football are (or have been) below par. Some VERY good baseball teams (and players) but that program lacks continuity. Soccer has also produced some good talent and teams, but I'm not sure the coaching has been there. After that, ZIPPO!!!!
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Juliet

That is interesting P Panther.  I would have thought that the teams would have been more successful since there are so many kids to chose from.  The Berwyn Rec baseball and basketball programs are so highly attended, I would have thought the love of the sport would transfer to high school.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Bear

One of the problems with football at least is that there is no
"feeder" program in the city. Other towns have pea wee
leagues and such all the way to high school. These kids have been playing
organized football since age 5, thus giving other high school districts
a much more talented athlete pool, and winning teams.

Unlike my beloved Bears
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

No Midgets/Pee-Wee/Pop Warner?  Wow.  That is pretty amazing.  Do any of the surrounding community's have leagues?  Brookfield, Oak Park, Riverside, N. Riverside?

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Just Me

Actually, a pee-wee football league has started in the last 5 years.  Morton has great records in softball, soccer (boys especially), basketball (some years better than others).  But we don't attract the best because again, the programs are divided... some at West, some at East.  Our Freshman Football team now has an A, B, and C... most athletes drop out of the football program by senior year  (only one team) because again... how many kids can actually be on a team, therefore, losing some of the best players.  What Morton has found is that out of 8,000 students, most just don't try.  Why should they.  The school doesn't promote spirit.  Again, 20 years ago combining the sports made sense with enrollment dropping to around 4,000 between the two schools.  Now, with double the enrollment, it is time to seperate the sports.  Also, here is a very key point, Morton West and Morton East are made up of two very different communities.  I would bet that if you did a percent of ALL athletes at Morton, 80% would be from West.  Now is that because the kids at East are not interested, of course not.  No, it is because again, when things are not taking place in your own neighborhood, it is hard to coordinate family responsibilities.  All these kids are being cheated. 

mom

I graduated in '81 from West. HATED sports, but can understand that they are very important to many. We do need to bring back the Falcon. I agree that it was a great rivalry.

I have not seen evidence of school spirit for years, except from the flag corp and marching band. Of course, they no longer compete so even that is lagging.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ted

Morton won the Illinois State championship in boy's soccer at least one n the late 1990s or early 2000's.  I remember there was  a ceremony at city hall honoring them.  But, I don't recall much publiicity about it outside of that.   That's probably because soccer is not considered the equivalent of football or basketball.  If Morton had won the state championship in football or basketball, most average residents here would have heard about it.

take care,
  ted

Suzy Q

My kids have attended or are attending Morton West.  It's difficult for them to get excited about their school when they know Morton East is a part of it.  They pretty much hate Morton East and want no association with it.  It would be so much better if they could separate.  I think that you might even see some private high schoolers come back to MW if that was done. 

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Quote from: Ted Korbos on September 07, 2005, 05:37:19 AM
 Morton won the Illinois State championship in boy's soccer at least one n the late 1990s or early 2000's.  I remember there was  a ceremony at city hall honoring them.  But, I don't recall much publiicity about it outside of that.   That's probably because soccer is not considered the equivalent of football or basketball.  If Morton had won the state championship in football or basketball, most average residents here would have heard about it.

take care,
 ted

Morton has NEVER won a state championship in soccer, PERIOD. Not West, East, or combined.  Not even with the great East squads of th 70's featuring future pros Miro Rys and Aleks Mihajlovic. They simply reached the state quarterfinals (downstate) a few (2 or 3) times in the 90's and 00's.

The closest an area school has gotten is St. Joe's. 3rd place in Class AA in 1984 with 8 starters from the Cicero/Berwyn area and 2nd place in Class A a few years back. In the last 22 years, I believe they've been downstate 7 or 8 times. 
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

Shelley

I think a winning record for any sports team is only one reason to separate the schools.  I never participated in any sports, but I still felt pride in my school and in any teams that were playing.  The enthusiasm and excitement enriched the social experience.  I don't think you can have that kind of school spirit/ school identity/ school experience without "owning" the mascot.  I've been told that attendance at games, pep rallies, assemblies, etc. is very poor. 

I am wondering what the rest of the community feels.  Most of the people I talk to agree, but somehow feel like this is a done deal and there is no changing it.  If there was a way, would this community get behind a movement to bring back the falcon?  Could we at least communicate the idea to the current school board.  My oldest is still about 10 years away from Morton West.  I figure if we start now, he might be able to be a Falcon someday, although at 3 years old,  his performance at his first soccer game tells me he's destined to be in the Math club!  Who's with me??

markberwyn

I'm all for going back to the falcon as a mascot if only to change the name of yearbook back to the Talon. I was a student at Morton West around the time of the changeover, and we were stuck with a creature titled the Vespera. It allegedly means "west wind," but it always sounded to my ears like the name of a car produced by a Soviet republic.
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes