News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Curriculum Night at Heritage School

Started by Robert Pauly, September 23, 2005, 08:12:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Pauly

I attended "Curriculum Night" at Heritage School last night – an evening where parents experience their child's school day – class by class – teacher by teacher - in 10-minute segments.  As my daughter is a 7th grader, this was my first experience with Heritage and its staff.  Heritage's press has not been good, and its test scores have reinforced this image.  I was excited to experience the school on a first hand basis.

Let me digress for a moment and say that I have a high amount of respect for District 100's schools – I believe that the socio-economic status of our community is responsible for poor results, not schools or teachers.  Curriculum night only reinforced this opinion.

My impressions:

1.  Great facility – Berwyn residents can be proud of this school

2.  Impressive administration, principal – a well-organized night.  Positive comments about the new, uniform policy.

3.  Impressive teachers – they are so YOUNG!  FYI, versus state averages, we underpay our teachers by 20% and they have less teaching experience – do they cut their teeth in Berwyn and move on to greener pastures?  But they were so pumped up – so vibrant – so available.

4.  Curriculum – advanced math for the qualified, advanced reading, literature (ECHO), after school programs for struggling students, music, athletics, yearbook, student council, etc.  I don't know if you get more at St. Mary's, but it seems like everything's available here.

Now for the soapbox.  IMO, the event was poorly attended.  I'd say that fewer that 50% of parents showed up (see my socio-economic comments above).  To me, involved parents are the key to a successful education, and there didn't seem to be enough of them there last night.  And this school is fed by Berwyn's three, top elementary schools.

On another note, I drive past Heritage every evening about 4.  Students cross the street without consideration of traffic.  Students make-out on the sidewalk.  Boys wrestlie with girls.  Do they learn this in the classroom?

To summarize – aside from the fact that my daughter is exposed to student behaviors that we don't condone, and this is a big issue – I'm positive about her chances for two, good years at Heritage.  IMO, a good education is offered.  It only needs to be taken – by the student and their family.

mom

THANK YOU! We have similar positives and negatives at Lincoln. Public school is what you make it. Forget the test scores.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shelley

THanks, Melliman.  This is exactly the kind of 1st hand information I was looking for.  Does anyone on this board regularly attend the school board meetings?  I think district 100 meets on Wed. nights.  The reason I ask is because I think this board has served me very well in terms of the City Council activities.  I know I am not the only one reading this board who cannot make the meetings.  We are as good as there because of the reporting and analysis here and I think the council members realize that even though there may be only a handful in front of them when they vote, there are 200 more waiting to get the info that evening online.  I'd love it if we could start the same regarding schools.  Anyone want to take notes at the next meeting?