News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

Infant Massage Instruction

Started by wellkneadedbaby, September 26, 2005, 08:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellkneadedbaby

I am a Certified Infant Massage Instructor and I am offering infant massage classes in the area (Riverside actually). 

There are openings in group sessions being held at the Brannick Clinic (3200 S. Harlem).  Available times for the 4-week group class:
October Afternoon: Tuesday Oct. 4, 11, 18, 25, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.
November Afternoon: Tuesday Nov. 1, 8, 15, 29, 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.

Who Should Attend:
Caregiver/child pairs: Age: newborn – pre-crawler is the ideal time to start massage but we welcome older children as well.
Caregivers learning on dolls: Expectant parents and healthcare providers are encouraged to attend. Dolls will be provided.

Group classes are kept small to allow for more hands-on instruction. The full infant massage program is taught over 4 60-minute classes. The class covers all the massage techniques and includes time for discussion topics like baby stages, communication cues, strategies for dealing with crying, and how to adapt massage techniques for the growing child. The class allows time to meet and talk to other parents and caregivers.

I also offer private instruction.

Feel free to visit my website (www.wellkneadedbaby.com) or email me at admin@wellkneadedbaby.com

Hope to see you there.

Bear

WOW...This is probably the most scariest post I have ever seen here or
anywhere else. What a bizarre business endeavor, mothers and fathers
have provided such since the beginning of time, and made sacrifices in job
and careerer choices to "stay home" and parent. In this day of warped parenting,
eg: a mother who has a child and sends such to a day care center for 12 hours
per day at 3 months of age to return to her corporate job sickens me to no avail.
The wolves  prey on mindless yups whose only care is financial gain. Some people
were never meant to have children, and there are those who will provide services so you
will never have to see them or interact with them. You people sicken and frighten me.
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

wellkneadedbaby

That is a rather judgmental response.  You don't know me or what I do.  I would be happy to discuss it with you (though you seem pretty set in your opinion).

I don't see what a infant massage course and being a stay at home parent vs a working parent have to do with each other.  The class is a chance to meet other parents, talk about common experience, and enjoy some time with a child - no different from a Mommy/Baby yoga class or a Mommy & Me class.  Some students are heading back to work, others aren't, some haven't decided.   Seems like the whole work or don't work is a separate issue. 

Bear

Sorry, societal sickness at a deep and disturbing level...
And you percieve to actually make an income from this?...
I guess you will make front page news on the Onion
and AP wires...I will pass this along to XRT, Dixon and Bremer will have fun
with you on the morning news
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

shrugger

Quote from: Bear on September 26, 2005, 10:29:33 PM

so certified infant massage instructors are the real   harbinger of society's downfall?

and here I've been spending all my time on the lookout for terrorists and activist judges.
we must cultivate our garden

Paul Fuentes

Although I will admit Bear's response was a bit harsh, I totally understand the message he sends.  And his comments ring true, as in many cases, individuals have children with a preplanned notion that rearing  might be best "contracted out" to "professionals".  It is equivalent to the "new found" theory that keeping pet dogs in cages "is actually a good thing". 

There are posts I have made that will never be understood totally unless you have a child.  There is no rhyme or reason to explain the fact that they know YOU are their provider, their nurture, their solace.  Th bond is immediate and liflelong.  As an example, when my first was born, the hospital took the child to a care room to let mom rest.  Yet, although I had only known this child less than 24 hours, I always knew when it was her cry.  There is no logical or scientific way to expalin it, nor  is there a way to substitute the role.  They know that you are there, and they will also know that you are not there.  A song by Cat Stevens casts a haunting premonition if I fail my role.   You will reap what you sow.

Although I try to maintain an impersonal face on my posts.  On this one I cannot.  Bear and others here can attest to the fact that they often see me driving a minivan with rugrats  in tow. 

Suffice to say that nothing else parells in importance to me than my children.

Sincerely Yours,

Dancing Dude   

Berwyn Patsy

Bear, and others. Certified infant massage instructors have been around for awhile
  One of my daughters talked and read a lot about it 3 years ago. She had a very unhappy crying baby.  He cried or I should say screamed for 8 months.  In my day it would be a colic baby. She would do certain massages with him and you would immediatly see him calm down. Pediatricians also reccommend this idea.  If you have ever had a colic baby that screams all the time you would know why a care giver would need to participate in these instructions.  No one would want to care for ascreaming child for hours on end.

saluki

I see ignorance has reared it's ugly head again on this board.   Yet again, a woman is attacked...anyone else notice a pattern (from a certain poster)?

chandasz

What the F, bear.

What's the problem you have with infant massage? It's a great thing. Sounds like you could have used some to let go of some of your hostility. Do you know what it even is that she teaches or are you just making some bizarre assumptions.

I have done infant massage with my daughter and mommy and me classes.

I would LOVE to have had the option of staying home for the first year with my daughter. Perhaps you would have paid my mortgage and bills for me. I can guarantee my daughter is not being injured by her time spent in daycare. She is being enriched by the opportunity to play with other kids and learn that there are other people in the world who care about her as well.

I still nurse my daughter. We've done infant massage. She eats organic foods that I make from scratch. We are also doing baby sign language to ease her frustrations since she is still largely pre-verbal.

She's the amazing, happy, smart, beautiful child of a professional, working, loving mamma and pappa who are providing her with positive role models.

Shelley

I agree with the instructor in that we are having two different conversations here.  Her class is geared toward the mother or caretaker - to teach the adult techniques to soothe and/or stimulate infants through massage.  This has nothing to do with the debate over day care and stay-at-home moms.  I did take an infant massage class with my 1st baby.  It was a great way to share quality time with him, learn about the health benefits for both of us, and quite frankly have an excuse to get out of the house and meet other mothers.  This may be one of the best benefits of any class geared toward "mommy and me" time in infancy.  New mothers - whether working or not - can feel very isolated, alone, depressed, and insecure.  Time around other parents who are experiencing the same ups and downs is very important.  I'd encourage any new parent to seek out opportunities to be with supportive peers.  The most judgemental individuals are usually not parents or haven't been in your shoes (parent of new baby) in years and years.  Like everything, time tends to heal wounds and leaves older parents/grandparents with only the good memories of what perfect parents they were.

Someone start a new thread if there is interest in debating the benefits/disadvantages of day care.   Bear, be nice. 

Bear

Quote from: shrugger on September 26, 2005, 11:05:53 PM
Quote from: Bear on September 26, 2005, 10:29:33 PM

so certified infant massage instructors are the real  harbinger of society's downfall?

and here I've been spending all my time on the lookout for terrorists and activist judges.

"To further support this goal, Diane will be completing certification in clinical massage therapy in July 2006"

Not even certified....Case closed

Bear

If you look at this womans web site she
claims she wont be certified till 2006

hvychev

QuoteWe've done infant massage. She eats organic foods that I make from scratch. We are also doing baby sign language to ease her frustrations since she is still largely pre-verbal.

She's the amazing, happy, smart, beautiful child of a professional, working, loving mamma and pappa who are providing her with positive role models.

Wow! Your baby lives better than I do! ;D :P

wellkneadedbaby

Actually, Bear, there is a difference between certification to TEACH (not perform) infant massage and a certification to PERFORM clinical massage on patients for rehabilitative medical care.  I have full credentials to teach infant massage through the International Assocation of Infant Massage.  A certification which is nationally recognized.  I am currently in school for clinical rehabilitation in hopes that I can do pre-natal work and hospice care for adults.  Please take a bit more time to investigate and become informed before you make false accusations.

I am not certified to perform infant massage and I don't handle children in class.  I demo on a doll to avoid coming between the child and parent because it isn't my place or my right.  This is a class to allow moms to learn about the technique - not for me to take the place of the parent.  I massage my own kids.  I love it and they love it and I thought it might be a nice thing to share with other people. Sorry that you have a problem with that.

mom

Just another thing I will never understand. You need to learn how to massage your infant?  I''m sorry, but this is the type of "Oak Park thinking" that makes me shake my head. Right up there with the "head shapers" and music classes for infants touted in Chicago Parent Magazine . I can't believe infants need to learn sign language or any of the other garbage new parents are being led to believe they need.

For the record, my kids were nursed until age 1, didn't have solid food until after 10 months, never ate commercial baby food, and wore cloth diapers. I didn't need to attend classes or buy special equipment for any of it. Once they started on solids, I mashed up whatever we were eating and fed it to them. No allergies - no special needs - no major illnesses.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Juliet

15 years ago, I had a colicky infant.  I would have definitely tried infant massage to see if there was some way to soothe his overstimulated nervous system.  If I could have gotten him calmed down, it would have definitely benefitted the entire household, as his crying  was non stop for three months.

He had a language delay.  When children have a language delay, they become very frustrated because they cannot say "NO!"  "STOP"  "THAT'S MINE"  "I WAS PLAYING WITH THAT".  It makes playing with peers extremely agitating for the child.  I have watched younger siblings of my students learn signs for words that they can perform with their hands before they can speak.  Once they can form the words, they subconsciously link the spoken word and the sign.  This is a wonderful tool for some children and can cut down on the child's frustration level.  I would have also tried the sign language/spoken language technique had I known about it then.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

Bear

Totally agree Mom...I think Dr. Spock in the 1950s figured
out the colic deal. I ask this, why so many allergies today?
Why so many tempermental problems starting with infants so early?

The answer is quite simple as demonstrated in this thread

Bear

"Mommy/Baby yoga class or a Mommy & Me class."

"She had a very unhappy crying baby"

"He cried or I should say screamed for 8 months.."

"Yet again, a woman is attacked.."

"What the F, bear."

"Perhaps you would have paid my mortgage and bills for me" 

"The most judgemental individuals are usually not parents or haven't been in your shoes (parent of new baby) in years and years".

"New mothers - whether working or not - can feel very isolated, alone, depressed, and insecure."

"We are also doing baby sign language to ease her frustrations since she is still largely pre-verbal."

"Bear, be nice."

Bear is being nice, just trying to protect those who cannot protect themselves
from poor parenting...Not many positives from my "critique"...I guess I'm just
old school, parenting was once a fun and loving thing, not a business decision

T-Stan RPCV

Bear - I got your back on this one (well sort of).  Baby massage to me just seams....well....wierd.  I think it was the "wellkneadedbaby" that appeared to be not quite right.   Gives me a strange mental image of a baby on a floured table being flipped around and tossed into a pre-greased pan.  At first I thought it was a joke.   Guess not.

Somethings I just don't get.  Kind of in line with people who pay for pet psychologists or  "life coaches".  Then again it doesnt bother me that this goes on.  To each his own.

Juliet

T Stan, imagine if you will, a colicky baby.  Mine came home from the hospital at 5 days old, and was awake, screaming, for 11 straight hours.  Yes, a newborn that could not sleep, because something was wrong.  This goes on for months.  The baby screams during feedings, while awake, while being rocked, held, bathed. 

My pediatrician said it has been described as an overactive nervous system.  Others think the babies have severe digestive pain.  I think if parents could do something to soothe the digestive muscles or if it could offer the baby a way to relax that other methods didn't work on, it would be worth a try.

My second child came home from the hospital, slept all the time.  She hardly cried or made a peep.  For the first time parent who has a colicky infant, I know you'd try almost anything once to try to help your baby.  I'd be interested to know if there is a success rate in the reduction of crying hours of a colicky infant after massage training.

Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6