News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

changes coming at Morton High Schools

Started by Shelley, November 01, 2005, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terri

Take a moment and scan the minutes of the school board meeting. Why are so many students expelled? That is a HUGE problem that needs to be solved. I have asked before, please someone gives us insight as to how this school board operates in relation to the administration. Aren't salary increase granted at the beginning of the school year or when contracts come up for review? 

ms_president

Quote from: mom on November 07, 2005, 07:37:49 AM

If the worst thing that Dr. Fields did was do something special for the students who excel at West then we should be happy!  Dr. Fields was a great principal who truly cared for the students.  So often we get caught up and concerened with the bad test scores and gangs but everyone forgets about the National Honors Society kids, the scholars, the leaders of the school.  Dr. Fields was different.  Dr. Fields started up the Top 25 program and supported the Leadership class (NOT to be confused with the PE LEaders).  He spent time with these "Future Leaders" in and out of the classroom.....I know that is all in the past but I was one of those "top" students that he showed a great interest for that others havent.  I'm so sick of always hearing about the stupid gangbangers and kids with failing grades and their impact on our school when we have scholars walking the halls every day, getting top notch scores, one of a kind kids making differences in their school and community..its time for the PR person of Morton to get on the ball there

I graduated from West in '81 and currently know and advise several current students in my Girl Scout troop. The students who try and have involved parents can and do get a good education.

The problem as I see it, lies with the board - which has historically had strong ties to Cicero. (These ties are part of the reason Mustangs were chosen for the mascot of the combined teams instead of a Pegasus - you know, a flying horse - which was what the students wanted.) To change the makeup of the school board, we need to act together with Stickney and Lyons to place viable people on it. Can Berwyn residents put their myopia aside and actually do this?

Staff burn-out is another huge problem. There are professional, caring staff members like Dr. Pece (school psycholigst and the head of the group that got the Safer Schools grant) who were "beaten up" when Dr. Fields was principal at West. This idiot actually gave a large number of teachers' parking spaces to the Honor Society members, among other things. Even though Fields has gone, his legacy of mistreating faculty and only caring about "pet" student types continues.

Parent apathy is rampant. If you can find any way to turn this mess around, please let me know. If you have a student at West, please get and stay involved.

Suzy Q

Well said Ms. Pres.!   When Dr. Fields was at MW, Honor Students  and Leaders were finally acknowledged and recognized.  He would visit the leadership class and had the kids read books on various leadership styles and he would discuss it with them.  MW has a lot of great kids but you never hear about them because as Ms. Pres. stated, they need a new PR person.  Unfortunately, all we hear about are the sports teams.  You never hear about who the class officers are, the NHS, the musical organizations, the drama groups, the community volunteer groups, the winning scholastic bowl teams!  (Yes, they are doing well).  THey need a PR person if they don't have one already.  There really are a lot of good things happenng there!  There is more there than gangbangers and teen moms! 

OakParkSpartan

And likewise, I doubt you hear much about the few dropouts from Hindsdale.

It is the trend that people worry about, and the small number of NHS students don't affect the trend.  It's pretty elementary statistics.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato