News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

changes coming at Morton High Schools

Started by Shelley, November 01, 2005, 01:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mortonwestinsider

The communication between Morton and the community has been non-existent by default or by design, I am not sure but I think it has something to do with controlling the money!!

The purpose of this change is to "reset the clock" from the No Child left behind Act" of which Morton is on the watch list from the State.  It is hoped that by changing the concept of the schools and the implementation of the outside program of "High Schools that Work" (which has helped West improve its test score dramatically) that JS Morton will be placed back on step one inline with LT and OPRF.

Small Schools would not require the hiring of more administrators, the present Asst. Principles would be assigned.
What is really needed is parents to be involved. Do you know that there is not one parent on the entire school board! Where is the vested interest? Please take back your school!!!! The issues are at the top, school admin and School Board...let them know you care and you may see things change.

Regarding the website.............I am pained to think I teach at a school that has such an awful pointless web page. James Kurth retired last year on a salary of $200,000 and that is what he had to show for it.

If you want to know more, such as who is connected and who's children or relatives are working here etc please post.

Robert Pauly

If you don't believe that income level and school performance aren't related, check 'em out for yourself:

http://webprod1.isbe.net/ereportcard/publicsite/searchBySchool.aspx?searchby=cityName&language=english&year=2005&keyword=berwyn&city=BERWYN

Perhaps this isn't the way things have to be, but in your town, that's the way it IS.

Bear

Quote from: Mortonwestinsider on November 02, 2005, 10:23:43 AM

If you want to know more, such as who is connected and who's children or relatives are working here etc please post.

We are all ears....Inquiring people want to know
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

ruffian

OF COURSE we want to know, Mortonwestinsider.

Quote:  "James Kurth retired last year on a salary of $200,000 and that is what he had to show for it."

Ruff in disbelief:  O M G

and nobody else but me finds a problem with this

oooooooooooooo K

mom

Ruff, I have a HUGE problem with this, but what can be done now?

My oldest will be there this fall and I am planning to attend this meeting. For my part, as most of you can guess, I am not planning to run away to some "better" school district. This is my home and I am planning to fight to improve - or at least make my kids experiences above the average.

Comparing test scores and demographics does not impress me one bit. Test results can be and often are manipulated. If you don't think schools and parents in more affulent areas don't prep their kids for the tests, you are in denial. They do it here at Jefferson, and we're supposedly a low - income area! Look at the ads for Hunnington and Sylvan that tout test preperation. ISAT was supposed to measure how the children are learning and how well the teachers are teaching - not how well you can prep a kid to take it!

NCLB is rigged for failure. Reorganizing the schools is the only way, aside from a miracle, to get off the watch list. Once a school is on the list, they not only have to make it to the standard they missed - they have to make it to the new standard that changes yearly.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

ruffian

mom, I understand ... but

I'm trying to point out that THIS is a perfect example of how the school board, principals, administrations ... rip us off.  $200K for THAT ridiculous website ?????  As said above, the KIDS could have made a better website than that and saved us $200K .... or maybe $200K isn't a lot of money any more to you people.

I'm so glad mortonwestinsider gave that information because THIS is the type of thing the schools will continue to do .... figure more ways to line their pockets to do nothing.  AND I DON'T MEAN THE TEACHERS ... I'm talking School Board, Principals, and administrators.

Everyone on this board should be outraged that someone received $200K for that website.  What else are we paying up the ass for that's worthless.

Just Me

Ruffian, I completely agree.  In the meantime, they are cheating our kids out of that high school experience.  Again, I really think part of what is wrong at the school and within the town of Berwyn is the failing sports program.  They NEED to seperate the sports.  Again, 8,000 kids for ONE sports team is just plain stupid.  Also, they just made the Student Activities position an administrative position.  Let me tell you about that position.  Morton use to (2 years ago) have a teacher in charge of Student Activities in EACH building.  That teacher would teach 3 classes and then would organize the clubs and activities at each building and build school spirit.  The teachers have said that this job really needs to be a full time position.  Well, now they went and gave ONE person that job for ALL THREE buildings (West, East, and the Freshman Center).  This person is also in charge of assisting the Athletic Director too.  So now they are paying an administrative salary to someone who cannot POSSIBLY be in three places at once and do even 1/3 of what a student activities director does.  Who suffers????  The students.  And with this, suffers the test scores.  It is really a sad place.

BlackDog

Quote from: kurto on November 02, 2005, 08:43:00 AM

Im no expert on the matter, but do you know a town that is low on the median household income scale that does have good public schools?
Seems to me there is a high correlation between higher household income and better school performance/rankings.

See OP, LaGrange, Brookfield, Riverside, Naperville, Elmhurst, St. Charles, Geneva, Batavia, Downers Grove ...
Then see Berwyn, Maywood, Bellwood, Cicero, Lawndale neighborhood, Austin neighborhood ...

Not a scientific study, but seems logical to me.

Yes, the correlation is that in IL schools are funded by local property taxes.  IL ranks 49th in state funding of education.  No Child Left Behind is an unfunded federal mandate.  And then add a  lack of emphasis on education from most parents.

Mortonwestinsider

I will share information and my opinion with this group because I love this school and my professional and personal ethics say that the kids deserve better.

Issues to think about ???
1.School board members (both present and past--- present Cicero Mayor) have their children working at the district. Recently the two candidates for the Asst. grounds man job at West were the School Boards Presidents son and the Mayor of Cicero's son. Both work here already as members of the custodial staff.
2.School Board members and Administrators are teaching graduate classes to teachers in cohorts at the school. "They need the money?"
3.You will be asked for as tax referendum next year, I really think it is worth supporting but there has been a dramatic increase in the number of students coming to the school from outside the district. All we require is a notarized statement----- with little or no other proof. There has also been a sharp increase in the number of students who have had their guardianship "signed over" to supposed residents. The number of CTA bus passes in the school makes it seem that we are in the Chicago. If you pay your tax then at least pay if for the community's children to be educated.

In support of tax increase we have the lowest tax percentage going to the school systems in all of the surrounding suburban schools.....including Proviso etc. We will be broke by 2008 unless we do something about the internal issues and raise tax money. Sad reflection is that we currently spend the least amount per student than any school in our vicinity. The teachers will reach out and work with the community. Are you willing to act in defense of your kids and their future?
Get out and demand a better system, maybe O'Connor can be enticed to act.

More later

shopgirl

Issues to think about ???

2.School Board members and Administrators are teaching graduate classes to teachers in cohorts at the school. "They need the money?"

Is there an inpropriety with this? Are they paid by the district? Are they not qualified? More information please.

ruffian

"Dr. Cunneen will be there to discuss the coming changes." 

Is this a Dr. Jay Cunneen?  Who is Dr. Cunneen and what is their relationship to East/West?

Just Me

Yes, that is Dr. Jay Cunneen, Superintendant

Berwyn Patsy

This is great, we need to keep trhe questions and answers going here. I will be attending tomorrows meeting, any one else thinking of going? I don't have children at Morton anymore but did see 4 of them graduate and go on to college, and I am sure proud of them! I would like to see all of our children getting a great education in our public school system.  That's part of what we all pay taxes for.

ruffian

BerwynPatsy, there may be more than one meeting, but I thought above the poster indicated that the meeting is tonight.

Juliet

Glad we're clear now, ruff.  I'm sorry if I thought you misunderstood.

My son's high school has a website that is inviting.  Information about the school, admissions, booster club, calendar, contact teachers, curriculumn, governance, music, news and notes, press releases, scholar's, sports, upcoming events, etc.  The school subscribes to Edline, which is an online service that the teacher's use to imput student's grades.  You can see what grades they got on their homework as soon as they update, or quiz scores, final results.  It states if any assignments are missing, days absent, rank in class, current grade in the class.  I bring this up because the website is inviting, charming.  It is well organized, supervised by the staff, some work done by students.  When you look at it, you can dive in and find out a lot about the school.  Morton's makes me think they are saying "yeah, we're here.  If you have to come here, here's our address."  They make no mention of anything they are proud of.  Nothing about sports, academics, plays, etc.  It speaks of having absolutely no school pride, which is sad, very sad.

I did not move out of Berwyn at high school time, but I gave up a lot to NOT send my son to Morton.  Believe me, I wish it were a place that I could think was a great fit for him.  In our case, it is not.
Train a child in the way that he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.   Proverbs 22:6

ruffian

Juliet, as you point out ... I don't think anyone here thought the site itself cost $200K.  If a Superintendent is paid 200K, I would think he could manage to create a modern, informative, interactive website, one that anyone researching information on either East or West would be impressed with.  Gosh knows he had enough resouces at his disposal (the students).  What about each year the school having a contest for the best school website design.  An award to the winner with the contestants for that year joining in together with the winner to maintain it, pullling together on their ideas and creativity.  If you gave these kids a shot at trying to accomplish something on their own ... maybe they would start to give a hoot.  There a jobs for everybody if you just put the thinking cap on.  Students working with faculty to run their campus.  Starts to elevate the thinking process.

ruffian

Bear:  "education VS admin on the high school board, and other atrocities in fiscal mismagement"

EXACTLY

T-Stan RPCV

Some confusion over the meeting time.  Simple solution: check their web site and after some navigating find this page http://www.jsmortonhs.com/ click on "Next Board Meeting".  Next dust off your time machine and travel back to June 29, 2005.  

This must be said again and often:  This website reflects poorly on the administration, staff, teachers and our community.  Any administrator who has allowed this to exist needs to be gone.  This is the image Berwyn is putting forth.  Shame on us for not noticing sooner.  If this is what any administrator feels is quality then I hate to hear their opinions/ideas regarding education.  It is not a stretch to think this type of shit could permeate the culture throughout the district.  How can anyone have pride in their School when the culture allows something like that website to fester like an open wound in public view?

hvychev

mustang54

People need to attend the meeting at East in the teachers cafe at 6:00pm on Thursday
Nov.3rd regarding the small schools idea. For all of you Morton sports fans and parents of non athletes there is a meeting with the athletic director right after the board meeting. This meeting is to discuss the football program. It will be educational to all parents even if they dont have a child who plays a sport. You will hear how they hire and what they allow to take place by the people they choose to pay to coach. Please attend 8,000 kids need your support!