News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

KO closing

Started by raoulpeptide, September 25, 2005, 01:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

Quote from: markberwyn on October 19, 2005, 04:38:01 PM
Yes! I was talking about this with my fiancee the other day. We don't need another damn Italian or Mexican joint, but this is still a meat-and-potatoes kinda town, and I think a good chophouse with reasonable prices would do really well here.

The market must be bigger than Berwyn.  It must include communities with disposable income to eat out.  That means Riverside, Oak Park, River Forest etc.  Outside $$'s mean tax revenue that comes into the community from the outside, which is a good thing.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

markberwyn

I wonder how much of KO's failure was due to the fact that people from other towns weren't willing to get sushi in...Berwyn. Reputations follow towns, and I'm thinking people are more willing to believe you can get a good steak in Berwyn than good tempura.

Anyway, we need something. But we're not so bad that we have to settle for terrible microwave meals like this one: http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0744/

(Yeah, I just wanted an excuse to link to a really funny article. Sue me.)
"This is a fun house, honey, and if you don't like the two-way mirror, go f*&# yourself." ---Berwyn community pillar Ronnie Lottz, on the undisclosed two-way mirror in the women's restroom at Cigars & Stripes

ruffian

It seems that many of the yups are in favor of just Asian restaurants.  Number one, Mark ... I disagree on the Italian restaurants.  I have to go to downtown to eat Italian or Taylor street.  I don't consider the Italian restaurants in Berwyn top shelf.  They are OK for a pizza.  If I'm going out for pizza I prefer Uno's or Duo's downtown, and for delivery Villa Nova.  To me everything else we have Italian wise is what I call "artificial Italian" food.  Johnny's Capri was good for a nice sit down dinner, but they are gone now.  So we have no quality Italian.

Mexican ..... too many.

Czech ... European ... a few ... good food for the price.

Full variety menu ... Connies, Mother's Day.

You know it's like anything else ... you can have the nice white table cloth on the table but the proof is in the food.  LaGrange has a few high profile restaurants that stink in my opinion.  I won't mention them by name, but people go there and think it's great ... I have an Itallian restaurant in mind there ... just awful.  Over done pasta ... calamari the color of mud and consistency of rubberbands ... no clams in the baked clams .... I called them over to the table on THAT one.  I defied them to show me where the clams are.  That's alot of money for clam shells stuffed with breadcrumbs.  I will spend a lot of money on a good menu, but I turn into Linda Blair in the exorcist when I get bad or substandard food.

I went to KO Fusion ... on scale of 1 to 5 ... five best ... I gave it a 2 1/2.  The appetitizers were skimpy for the price.  The tempura was not as crispy as I like.  It was OK.

I don't know what the answer is ... in the past we didn't have a problem with restaurants ... we had a good variety, but .... now we don't.  I think the Capri was as high end as we ever got.  As I have said many many times in the past, the last individual to make a total success at the KO Fusion location was Spiro who opened as the International Bakery and Cafe.  Commuters came in got their coffee, donut, pastry.  He started small with just that basic entry way as the entire business.  Then he expanded to add the other part and served lunch and dinner.  He made enough bucks to sell and open a high end Greek restaurant in Oak Park.

Paul Fuentes

Word on the Street:  KOs is closed, but opening under new management.

Chop House:  Parente' s had good steaks at a decent price, but folded,

Summary:  A good restaurant, with a town that has no cred publication, is doomed for faiure.  If your looking to get out of town revenue, you need the pub. 

It aint happening now. 

scoon

yeah, yeah, yeah....

What about the lustre?

Bru67

Quote from: shrugger on October 19, 2005, 03:20:15 PM
Quote from: k6s2zvfw on October 18, 2005, 07:10:57 PM
good news - something is going to "re-emerge" @ the former KO Fusion

good news, would love to hear more details.

whatever it is, I hope that they at least put their name on the awning (hint, hint).

I hope at least one of them speaks English too!

Paul Fuentes

Scoon:

The "lustre" is now my nanny and my secretary.  The "lustre" is okay. They used to pay her 9 per hour.    I pay her almost twice the rate.  Sometimes more.

Happy Gilmore

Bear

Senor Paul knows how to compensate the deserving...
His returns are undoubtedly twenty times the investment
in excellence.

Take note
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

Paul Fuentes

The sage of the Bear  is ovbious,  I will not comment further, other than to say, with the lustre living under my roof, life is good,  It has been 28 days of Nirvana. 

Outlaw Josey Wales