News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

District 100 April Board Meeting

Started by T-Stan RPCV, April 18, 2006, 10:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Stan RPCV

School District 100, April 12, Meeting Summary:

There were a number of agenda items, however, two stood out as needing public promotion:

•   There will public meetings (Town Hall Format) tentatively scheduled for May 8 and May 10 at Freedom and Heritage.  I will update the exact time and locations once the district confirms.  The public will be asked what we are happy with, unhappy with and what the district can do to improve.  School board members were instructed to listen, take notes and bring the information back to a planning committee.  

This is an excellent opportunity for the community's voice to be heard and become involved with our schools.  Please try to attend.  If you are unable to make it but have comments you can submit them to CARE via e-mail info@berwycare.org and they will be presented to the school board on your behalf.

•   1st Annual "Bloom Into Kindergarten" will be offered on May 10,  3:15-4:15 at all district 100 elementary schools.  It is for future kindergarteners and will be an opportunity for parents and kids to meet their future teachers, classmates, and see the classrooms.  A big pat on the back to Shelley for promoting this and the district for listening and recognizing the need.  More info can be found on the district's web site http://www.bsd100.org/documents/Kinder%20orientation%20letter.pdf

A few other items that were discussed (disclaimer: these are my impressions not direct quotes from the meeting.  I've only included portions of the meeting I felt were most relevant.  For more detailed and less biased information, please attend a meeting):

•   A custodian spoke out during public comment expressing disappointment with the lack of communication and involvement of the custodians in the district's planning process.  Essentially he believes the custodians wanted to participate but were ignored.

•   Enrollment increased by 43 students over last year.

•   A traffic study concurred with the need for new stop signs at 29th, 31st and Ridgeland.

•   Registration is June 12 & 13.  Fees increase if you register late.

•   Cinco de Mayo celebration will be on May 3.

•   A parade of students, parents and principals all praising the middle school uniform policy.  Numerous comments on how great this policy is now that its been in effect for 1 year.  A parent indicated she was opposed to the policy before but now loves it.  Another parent wished it could be implemented at Morton West.

•   The district policy manual will be revised and updated this summer (apparently this takes place every summer)

•   I believe there were successful negotiations with the teacher's union and custodial negotiations are upcoming.  People were not using microphones and I could not hear what exactly was being said.

•   A family whose residency was found to be in Stickney will be charged approximately 40 days of tuition for out of district enrolment.

•   There was a presentation from the disability (physical and learning) on identification and enrolment of students in district programs.  Essentially the percentage of students identified and enrolled are in line with the state average.

•   There was a curriculum report indicating that 95 teachers have signed up for a 24 hour reading training course and a math professor from National Lewis will be working with teachers and reviewing programs.