News:

Updated 5/20/05 - "All Sites Berwyn" listing -- http://www.berwyntalk.com/smf/index.php?topic=30.0

Main Menu

2007 Bungalow Walk - Call for houses

Started by OakParkSpartan, January 19, 2007, 12:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OakParkSpartan

The Berwyn Historical Society is looking for a few more house participants for the June 3, 2007 Berwyn Bungalow Tour.

Houses do not necessarily need to be historically accurate.  We would  like them to be located West of Oak Park Avenue, between Cermak and  16th Street.  Anyone interested or with any questions may contact Lori Thielen directly at Serendipity Antiques, Wed. through Sat. 11:00 - 6:00 and  Sun. noon - 5:00 at 795-6733.

You can also ask me as well.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

Bonster

I think sections at a time make it easier for group walks...wouldn't want to make folks cross OPA all at once. :D

That's a section rich with great North Side bungalows, as well.

... "Shit ton of beer being served here soon!"

OakParkSpartan

West of  Oak Park, bungalows really start up at Clinton.

We're trying  to limit the geographic area so  folks  don't have to walk 15 miles to see a dozen homes.  It worked   pretty well last year along Riverside Dr.  and Maple  Ave.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

berwynson

One of the houses in the area, a two-story white or beige brick around 19th. St. and Maple was built entirely by my Uncle Jim. I couldn't say the exact address, but the home stood out among the others due to its appearance.

The poor guy sustained a double-hernia while carrying radiators upstairs with my Dad helping him!
True story!  Berwynson

OakParkSpartan

19th or 21st and Maple?

There is a house at 21st and Maple which  sits diagonal on the lot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1916+kenilworth,++berwyn,++il&ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=41.852293,-87.802329&spn=0.001297,0.002634&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

I'd really like  to get that one on the house walk.  Very unique.

Cheers,
Brian

berwynson

I am truly sorry I can't pinpoint it better; could be either 19th. or 21st., but 21st. seems too close to Cermak; it is definitely not situated diagonally on the lot.

If I were there, I'm sure I could pick it out, but the last time I saw it was probably 40 or more years ago.

CAN tell you, he built it AFTER the Depression years, but BEFORE the end of WW II, this for sure, otherwise I would recall watching my Dad work on it with his brother; I do not.  Berwynson

OakParkSpartan

We are still looking for homes.  If you or someone you know has a home that might be suitable, please PM me. 

Suitable doesn't mean pristine or unchanged.

Cheers,
Brian

Count DMC

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on February 02, 2007, 03:08:57 PM
19th or 21st and Maple?

There is a house at 21st and Maple which  sits diagonal on the lot.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=1916+kenilworth,++berwyn,++il&ie=UTF8&z=19&ll=41.852293,-87.802329&spn=0.001297,0.002634&t=k&om=1&iwloc=addr

I'd really like  to get that one on the house walk.  Very unique.

Cheers,
Brian

Not really a bungalow though.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

littlealexa

How many houses do you have so far?  Do you choose the houses and then contact the homeowners to see if they want any part in it?  Or do you have them contact you?  Are some of them reluctant to show their homes? 

There is a really unique looking bungalow on the corner of Wenonah and 18th.  It is a dark brown brick, has copper, very beautifully maintained, see what they say.

There was this bungalow on clinton that we went to see, almost put an offer on it, but ended up bidding on the Wenonah bungalow.  It needed lots of work, but its a bungalow lover's dream, it was up on the market last year, took a tour again when we were looking for a home but ended up not bidding on it.  Maybe the homeowner would show it as a way to showcase her home to prospective buyers (its a win win situation for everyone).  Address is 2108 Clinton I believe. 

Question: I missed last year's tour 'cause I didn't have someone to watch my little infant.  Is it feasible to bring along a toddler to the tour, I don't want to miss it.  I was thinking of taking a stroller and then carrying him in as we toured the house.  Are there tickets for them?  Or is it for adults only...if so, I will look for a babysitter now so I don't miss it ;o)

OakParkSpartan

We take them however we can get them.  We've asked, they've asked.  Some folks are reluctant to have several hundred people through their home.

Stroller's aren't allowed in the homes.

Yep, we've spotted some of the same homes as you.

Cheers,
Brian

Count DMC

Are you looking for strictly Bungalows or just unique looking houses? The 18th and Wenonah house doesn't appear to fit the bungalow description either.
Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this CITY isn't there?

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villany than the Berwyn City Council.

OakParkSpartan

I would say we prefer bungalows, but any nice home would be welcome.

Think of it this way...we're trying to show off Berwyn's homes.  Most are bungalows, but some are not. Same with the walk.

Cheers,
Brian

Bear

An interesting concept to help area business, product
placement in tour homes.

"Some tour organizers enlist local shops to set the tables with their products."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/yourplace/chi-0703150109mar15,0,3533259.story
...What else can we do now except roll down the window and let the wind blow back your hair...

OakParkSpartan

We've got 6 houses...it should be a fun tour.  A very interesting collection.

Cheers,
Brian