News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

Recommended Local Fence Companies//Ways to Get Privacy

Started by saluki, August 15, 2005, 11:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saluki

We are planning on having a privacy fence installed next Spring around our backyard and part of our side yard.  Unfortunately, we have the live next to very nosy, tactless, W.T. neighbors on one side of us and we are seeking some privacy so that we can finally enjoy our backyard.  We live in the middle of the block, so I understand per ordinance that on the alley we can have a six ft. fence but on the sides only 5 ft.  I've heard from several folks that there are ways around the ordinance so I'll be able to get the six ft. fence surrounding my entire backyard.  Most of our block has this awful chain link fence between the yards and it's just not working for our situation.  Have any of you been able to get a six foot side fence in your backyard approved?  Your advice is appreciated as well as any recommendations for local area fence companies.

I've seen several homes in town with new privacy fences by First Fence that appear very nice.   Has anyone on the forum had experience with this particular company?

dukesdad

I'm on an alley so I have a 6 foot fence along the alley but 5 foot fence between us and next door neighbors. Don't know how you'd get permission to build higher between neighbors. I built mine myself, it's not very hard. The worst part is putting in the posts, after that it's just real simple carpentry. I stained it before i put it up, which makes it go fast. I put up an 8' section up every night after work (sometimes 2) and before you know it it's done.

dukesdad

I should add that along the 5 foot side close to our A-hole neighbors I built a trellis that extends about 3 feet over the fence and runs for about 12 feet. My wife planted 2 sweet autumn plants and trained them up and onto the trellis. The plant now covers the entire trellis, completely blocking the view into our yard. The fence is 5 feet high but the screen is now about 8 1/2 feet high. Be happy to show you how to do it.

saluki

Thanks for your reply.  Unfortunately, neither I nor my husband are "handy" so we'll have to outsource the fence job (even if he could, he works quite late most evenings).  You are very lucky you were able to do it yourself to save the labor expense.

Howard

My wife and I used First Fence. They did a very nice job,on time, and very neat. We had a few estimates and they are very reasonable.

saluki

Howard,

Do you have First Fence's phone number?  When I looked online, there are a few companies in the 708 area code named First Fence and want to make certain I call the correct one.

Thanks.

Saluki

OakParkSpartan

Saluki,

Might I suggest Bamboo?  If you can find a variety that runs, you just need to put something in to keep it out of your yard.  In a few years, your nasty neighbors probably won't be able to enter their backyard either, granting you privacy :-)

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

saluki

dukesdad

Be careful with bamboo, it's EXTREMELY invasive. It will take over an area like kudzu. Is bamboo winter hardy in this latitude?

mom

If you are going to do this, please use native plants. Illinois already has a problem with exotic plants.

I have a question for all of you? While I understand that some neighbors are "unwanted" or "unwelcome", why do you all insist on these blockades? To me, it ruins the view and creates less of a sense of neighborhood. IMO, it is part of the reason people never get to meet anyone else on their block - everyone is trying to isolate themselves.

My other reason for disliking privacy fencing is more pracical. If someone is trying to break into my home, I want  my neighbors to be able to see, and hopefully, call the police. With a privacy fence, they have perfect cover.
"Life's most persistant and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

OakParkSpartan

Some species of Bamboo are winter hardy.  There are two types...clumping and running.  Running will take off reportedly, but I've never planted it.  Stuff that I have read indicates something like a 36" deep barrier is required to contain it.  Clumpers will stay pretty much in place.

Given how Bamboo propogates, I don't think we need to fear it being too aggressive with local species (which is a huge problem, both plants, animals and insects).

A neighbor put up a 5 foot wood fence 2 doors down, because he didn't like to look at the neighbors back yard.  I don't like that it breaks up the view down the block either, and I think it hides what is going on at his place (the fence is only on one side of his property, not both.

Cheers,
Brian
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

saluki

No worries anyone, I'm not planting bamboo in my backyard.

Mom -- if you only lived next door to this guy, you would understand why we desperately need a privacy fence.  Every single time we've had a guest over, he inappropriately buts into our conversations while we're in our backyard.  In fact, every time we're outside, he comes out and hounds my poor husband with the most banal things.  We enjoy all of our other neighbors as they respect limits and are tactful.  This guy is out of control.

OakParkSpartan

Saluki,

Maybe you could invite over a relative of yours (or rent one)...one of those people who talks non-stop, and repeats the same story over and over.  Do that a few times, and you might induce a pavlovian response in the neighbor when he hears you outside.  :-)

Cheers,
Brian

saluki

Brian,

You are too funny!  Sadly, those type of folks are exactly the type of people he loves.  He and his dumb Akita are one in the same, they bark at everyone and anything within their view. 

Hard lesson learned...meet all of your neighbors before you buy a home.

Saluki

ruffian

Saluki, why don't you plant 6 ft. Arborvitaes there.  You could plant them close together.  In the Spring they are expensive like $175.00 apiece, but at the end of the year they are looking to get rid of them so you could get 6 footers for like $125.00 apiece or maybe less.  I got mine at McAdam on DesPlains between 22nd (Cermak) and Roosevelt.  It's on the West side of the street ... can't miss it.

jqpublic

Or try some grape arbors. A friend of mine has them and it's an easy (and tasty) way to get privacy. No zoning beefs, no permits...

Think of how stupid the average person is and realize half of them are stupider than that.

ruffian

JQ those are great, but seasonal.  That's why I recommended an "ever green" remedy.

saluki

Ruffian,

Great idea.  We have an almost double lot, so it might cost some $$ but I would guess certainly cheaper than a fence and also nice to not have deal with getting permits, etc.   I do know where McAdam Nursery is, so will definitely check out the 6 ft. ArborVitae this fall.   

Thanks to all who are also suggesting alternatives to the fencing.  I do like the green options...we have a nice big yard and I know my husband would prefer the natural option as well.

Thanks again.  I'll let you know if we end up buying some as I may need some advice from you.

Saluki

ruffian

Saluki, you do not HAVE to purchase from McAdam.  My neighbor down the block is the Police Chief of LaGrange ... I grew up with him ... he and wife just put some in also for privacy.  They ordered from somewhere and the dudes that delivered it ... planted them too.  You know you can start off where you need them most ... and then keep adding ... that's one way to do it too  All I can tell you is that if you get them this fall ... try to water them as much as possible before winter ... and then water them good the next year too.  After that they are established so you won't need to water as often unless drought conditions like we had this year.

I'll post you a picture of mine planted last August later tonight and I did get them from McAdams.

I do have to say that I enjoy seeing some green around the house when the white stuff falls and lays there for months.

saluki

Thanks so much for the watering tips...would love to see pics of your ArborVitae.  Luckily, we installed a sprinkler system via Muellermist on our property last summer, so we can make sure to program it to water them and often. 

I'll certainly check out McAdam but also shop around.  My sister in McHenry County knows some great landscaping co's too and I'll definitely have folks who know what they're doing plant them for us.

Thanks again.