News:

Berwyn Cares!
Information about Berwyn Schools. www.berwyncares.org

Main Menu

If Madigan Bans Sterno, How Will We Heat Our Fondue?

Started by frankvdv, August 11, 2011, 12:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankvdv

Calling it "over the counter napalm," Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan has started a campaign to have all gel fuels banned. 37 people nationwide have been burned by gel fuel, and 4 of them were in Illinois, leading Madigan to demand their recall. We're sure that caterers everywhere cried at the news - gel fuels are most commonly used for keeping chafing dishes hot during service. [ more › ]

OakParkSpartan

37 people this year? 

Out of 300 hundred million?

Maybe she should look at her father's dealings if she has spare time on her hands.
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

truman40

I'd like to compare that with how many people burn themselves on a BBQ grill.
or
How many of those burned using a sterno did not follow directions. The guy they had on the news last night had almost 1/2 of his face burned, really scary. Although I did not get the details as to how exactly it happened.
Shop Local
www.the350project.net

tgoddess

Quote from: truman40 on August 11, 2011, 03:02:10 PM
or
How many of those burned using a sterno did not follow directions. The guy they had on the news last night had almost 1/2 of his face burned, really scary. Although I did not get the details as to how exactly it happened.

My guess:  Drunken face-plant.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

dukesdad

QuoteMy guess:  Drunken face-plant.

Actually not. Story in the paper said he was an innocent bystander. Someone was tryingto add Sterno to a can they thought was empty and it wasn't. It exploded.

OakParkSpartan

It isn't sterno, but rather some gel fuel for backyard light pots or some such things. 
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." -- Plato

tgoddess

Quote from: dukesdad on August 11, 2011, 04:39:34 PM
QuoteMy guess:  Drunken face-plant.

Actually not. Story in the paper said he was an innocent bystander. Someone was tryingto add Sterno to a can they thought was empty and it wasn't. It exploded.

Sounds like the dude should be suing his stupid, incompetent friend...not blaming the Sterno company.
"Well, I guess I'm fuckin' forty...I'm a petered out Peter Pan...sometimes I feel foolish...I make my livin' singin' in this band..." - John Eddie

buzz

Quote from: OakParkSpartan on August 11, 2011, 06:23:16 PM
It isn't sterno, but rather some gel fuel for backyard light pots or some such things. 
If this is the footage I saw, the product was some big citronella tub/thingy, not sterno.
Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

~LL~

Quote from: tgoddess on August 11, 2011, 04:26:41 PM
Quote from: truman40 on August 11, 2011, 03:02:10 PM
or

My guess:  Drunken face-plant.

ROFLMAO - seriously!  Excellent guess!
If you are not part of the solution -- you are part of the problem.

watcher

I've never seen Sterno(tm) in gallon jugs or 55 gallon drums for retail consumers.
The decorative gel burners were the hot patio "must-have" of this summer and many people who aren't smart enough to understand
basic chemistry have had incidents using the product.
The product burns and spreads. Great stuff when properly used. Nasty stuff in hands of the unthinking.

"Atlas Shrugged": A Thousand Pages of Bad Science Fiction About Sock-Puppets Stabbing Strawmen with Tax Cuts. -Driftglass

buzz

What about charcoal starter ?
  My neighbor stands 2 ft. from his Smoky Joe and squirts a stream into the lit grill because the coals "aren't heating fast enough".  Oy.
Use a chimney.

Why won't anyone believe it's not butter ?

rbain

Yes but I think consumer expectation of safety is different when its something you place on the table while you eat. Now if Kingsford suggested you fill a jar with lighterfluid and light it as an accent candle they might have some trouble...
"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."