News:

Read  Berwyn Historical Society www.berwynhistoricalsociety.org

Main Menu

Are the White Sox choking?

Started by Dancing Queen, September 14, 2005, 10:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Queen

I just finished watching the White Sox game and I am mad as hell.  Hermanson sucks. Ozzie Guillan should have taken him out... it was obvous the Royals were hitting him hard.

My question is this:  A month ago, the White Sox has a 14 1/2 game lead over Minnesota and a 16 game lead over Cleveland.  Now there lead has shrunk to 6 games over Cleveland.

Are the White Sox choking?   Is this going to be another hearbreak season for Chicago baseball fans?

pkd50

PERISH THE THOUGHT     

Tonight was bad!!

scoon

<cough>

This is September in Chicago.

<gag>

Cue the swoon.

Ted

Last night was brutal.

ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY MOTHER FRIGGIN BRUTAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why does this feel like 1967 all over again?  Is Luke Appling still managing Kansas City?

Take care
  Ted

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Quote from: Dancing Queen on September 14, 2005, 10:26:32 PM
My question is this:  A month ago, the White Sox has a 14 1/2 game lead over Minnesota and a 16 game lead over Cleveland.  Now there lead has shrunk to 6 games over Cleveland.

I believe its 5 games, with 7 to go head to head against Cleveland!! So they've lost 11 games in the standings to Cleveland the last month or so. In light of the above, I would imagine 5 games isn't that big of a lead with 18 to go. Nonetheless, I think they'll hold on by the skin of their teeth.

QuoteAre the White Sox choking?

Not really. Just coming back down to earth against the tougher part of their schedule. I don't think ANYBODY really believed all that best team in baseball nonsense.

QuoteIs this going to be another hearbreak season for Chicago baseball fans?

Not at all!!! ;D ;D ;D
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

WIZARD

this is the biggest choke job of all-time in Chicago baseball, even the Cub's 69 fiasco wasn't as bad as this!  Likely they won't even make the playoffs. 

Ozman... Cubfan

Paul Fuentes

Oz Dude:

They will be in the playoffs (by the skin of their teeth).  Will the go anywhere?  Absolutely not.  And no, it will not be a choke job as bad as the '69 Cubs.  Nor the Clinton/Lewinsky job.  And the only reason you proclaim to be a Cub fan, is not the activities in the "friendly confines, but the "attractions" in Boys Town so close. 

WIZARD

3 1/2 UP ON CLEVELAND, 4 IN FRONT OF YANKEES IN THE WILDCARD,  HEARD ON ESPN THIS WOULD BE THE BIGGEST FAILURE IN BASEBALL HISTORY, THEY WERE 15 1/2 UP, AND THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED CLEVELAND....  SO BAD NO PLAYOFF BASEBALL IN CHICAGO, THIS YEAR!  PAUL, BEING A PARTNER OWNER IN THE "MANHOLE" BAR ON DIVERSEY, "FOR FINANCIAL REASONS, AS YOU STATED" I'M APPALLED YOU WOULD UPSET YOUR CLIENTEL, ....  AS FOR BOYS TOWN, THE ONLY ONE I REMEMBER WAS THAT MOVIE WITH MICKEY ROONEY.  WAS FATHER TRACY SPENCER, DOING THE KIDS???  NOW YOU PISSED OFF RUFFIAN.    AND NOW YOUR WEARING A TOOL BELT TO MAKE YOURSELF MORE MACHO...  I KNOW YOU VYING FOR THE CONSTRUCTION GUY AT BHO HALLOWEEN'S PARTY.  MACHO, mACHO MAN, I WANNA BE A MACHO MAN....  DAVID WILL BE THE INDIAN, JOE'S V IS THE GUY IN LEATHER, AND RALPH WANTS TO BE THE OTHER GUY, CAN'T REMEMBER... WAS IT A PLUMBER???  WE NEED A BLACK COP, ANY OF YOUR TRANVESTITE CLIENTES ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT???   

Ted

Quote from: WIZARD on September 18, 2005, 09:14:23 AM
3 1/2 UP ON CLEVELAND, 4 IN FRONT OF YANKEES IN THE WILDCARD,  HEARD ON ESPN THIS WOULD BE THE BIGGEST FAILURE IN BASEBALL HISTORY, THEY WERE 15 1/2 UP, AND THEY HAVEN'T PLAYED CLEVELAND....  SO BAD NO PLAYOFF BASEBALL IN CHICAGO, THIS YEAR!  PAUL, BEING A PARTNER OWNER IN THE "MANHOLE" BAR ON DIVERSEY, "FOR FINANCIAL REASONS, AS YOU STATED" I'M APPALLED YOU WOULD UPSET YOUR CLIENTEL, ....  AS FOR BOYS TOWN, THE ONLY ONE I REMEMBER WAS THAT MOVIE WITH MICKEY ROONEY.  WAS FATHER TRACY SPENCER, DOING THE KIDS???  NOW YOU PISSED OFF RUFFIAN.    AND NOW YOUR WEARING A TOOL BELT TO MAKE YOURSELF MORE MACHO...  I KNOW YOU VYING FOR THE CONSTRUCTION GUY AT BHO HALLOWEEN'S PARTY.  MACHO, mACHO MAN, I WANNA BE A MACHO MAN....  DAVID WILL BE THE INDIAN, JOE'S V IS THE GUY IN LEATHER, AND RALPH WANTS TO BE THE OTHER GUY, CAN'T REMEMBER... WAS IT A PLUMBER???  WE NEED A BLACK COP, ANY OF YOUR TRANVESTITE CLIENTES ABLE TO HELP YOU OUT???    

Actually, it was a construction worker, a cowboy, an indian, a leather guy and an army guy with the lead singer being the cop... the leather guy eventually turned into a bear and passed away a few years ago. The cowboy just married his boyfriend of 25 years and the original cop was married to Bill Cosby's T.V. wife (Phylilcia Rashad) before she married Amahd Rashad, The original cop was heterosexual and wound up in jail for selling and taking cocaine.

Hmmmm... so Paul owns the Manhole, eh?   The Manhole is on Halsted in boystown, though, not on Diversey. Ozzie, are you sure about the location or the name? BTW, the Manhole  just changed its name to Fusion (or something like that).  And, before it was the Manhole, it was called Christopher Street.

I liked it when it was Christopher Street and I hated it when it became the Manhole... whoever the new owners were took a nice clean open airy bar with windows that you could look out of and turned it into a dingy, dusky place with no windows.

Paul why did you turn that bar into such a dingy place?  Don't you like windows?

take care,
  ted

franklin train

Anyways... enough talking about gays and lesbians.  The topic here was if the Sox are choking or not!  They got a much needed win last night against the Indians, but there still are bout' ten games left.....  Their on thin ice Ozzie!

Ted

I think tonight's game will is crucial.  If the White Sox win tonight's game and play at least 5-6 the rest of the season, then they'll win the division unless Cleveland goes 9-1 or 10-0 after tonight. If they lose tonight's game, then I think they are going to have to win 2 out of 3 games in Cleveland the last weekend of the season if they are going to win the division (or else go 8-0 against Minnesota and Detroit).

ted

(P.S. berwynite, what happened to Tweety Bird?)

Dancing Queen

pkd50

WIZARD

Like I said the biggest choke job in baseball history!!! 

Oz-man, Cub-fan!!!

scoon

Quote from: WIZARD on September 21, 2005, 10:53:24 PM
Like I said the biggest choke job in baseball history!!! 

Oz-man, Cub-fan!!!

#1 - The Yankees losing to the Red Sox in the '04 ALCS is the biggest choke job in history.  No team has ever, Ever gone up 3-0 in a series and lost.  For it to be the Yankees against their biggest rival only makes it an even bigger choke job.

In this case, the rivalry between the hammer and the nail....  the nail one.

#2 - Second was the Cubs in '03.  Bartman?  C'mon... 

The problem with calling it the biggest choke job in history is no one thought they'd make out of the first round of the play offs despite the best record and being 15.5 games up.  And this is Chicago, home of the September Swoon.

Scoon, Brewers Fan

franklin train

I visited U.S Cellular Field yesterday to see game three of the sox vs. cleveland series, and they look terrible.  Im gonna have to say YES they are choking. They have to play Minnesota, Detroit and then Cleveland again.  Cleveland on the other hand is playing two last place teams Kansas City and Tampa bay then the sox. They gotta keep it close for those last three games. I think they dont win the division but take the wild card.  We'll see what happens.

Ted

Quote from: franklin train on September 22, 2005, 01:35:06 PM
I visited U.S Cellular Field yesterday to see game three of the sox vs. cleveland series, and they look terrible.  Im gonna have to say YES they are choking. They have to play Minnesota, Detroit and then Cleveland again.  Cleveland on the other hand is playing two last place teams Kansas City and Tampa bay then the sox. They gotta keep it close for those last three games. I think they dont win the division but take the wild card.  We'll see what happens.

I don't think they're choking as much as Cleveland is really playing hot... the sox started out 50-20 and they have played 41-40 since then.  Cleveland started out 47-45 and they have played 42-18 since then.  So, they have basically traded parts of the season... Sox were hot the first 70 games and .500 the second 92 games and Cleveland .500 the first 92 games and hot the second 70 games.

Similar to what happened to the Dodgers in 1951... the Dodgers had a 13 game lead and played .600 baseball after that point... but the Giants went an unbelievable 43-6 (or something close to that) to catch up with the Dodgers.. The Dodgers didn't really choke; the Giants just got hot.

I was thinking (ok, maybe rationalizing) that it might be better for Cleveland to win the division and the White Sox to get the wild card... in that scenario, Cleveland would play either Oakland or the Angels in the first round while the White Sox would play either the Yankees or Boston. I think the White Sox would have a better chance against Boston or New York than Oakland or L.A. (given how they played during the season).

If the White Sox won the division, they would have to play Oakland or L.A.  So, maybe losing the division and getting the wild card may be a blessing in disguise.

take care
 ted

P-PANTHER a/k/a La Pantera

Make it only 1 1/2 games ahead of Cleveland, as of tonight.

In case the Sox lose the division, it WILL be the BIGGEST regular season flop in baseball HISTORY.

To put it in proper perspective, the '69 Cubs had a 8 or 8 1/2 game lead on August 1st while the Sox had a 15 or 16 game lead on Cleveland circa August 1st.
"I am interested in the PAST and do not really understand the obsession around here about burying it."-Crunchie.

"La Pantera..He's one of the few people on this board that CUTS THROUGH THE BSers on this board - myself included." -Ted

WIZARD

Hey the Cubs won!!!  Go Maddox 2 more wins for history!   Oh yeah and your park is ugly!

Ozman / Cubfan