News:

Welcome to the new Berwyn Community Forum!   Enjoy your stay! 

Main Menu

Are the White Sox choking?

Started by Dancing Queen, September 14, 2005, 10:26:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted

I "watched" the game at work by using espn.com's webcast feature (minimized, of course, when the boss stopped by the desk). It reminded me of when I was in grammar school and we used to sneak radio's into class to listen to the World Series.

take care
 ted

scoon

Quote from: Ted Korbos on September 29, 2005, 06:54:09 PM
I "watched" the game at work by using espn.com's webcast feature (minimized, of course, when the boss stopped by the desk). It reminded me of when I was in grammar school and we used to sneak radio's into class to listen to the World Series.

take care
  ted

I listened to the radio (Farmer and he's a goner Rooney)... another good thing about working at Michigan and Wacker...   but what Ted describes reminded me of being in "Coaches" class during the NCAA tounament.  TV in the classroom...  The jocks beat the hell out of me, but I could see most of the picture from the floor.

Go Sox. (my adopted local team)

BTW...   Brew Crew still 2 up on the Cubs.

-scoon the asshole neighbor and life long, suffering Brewers fan -- screw the Cards (82)

pkd50

Baseball in Oct. & home field advantage..............pinch me I'm dreaming

Ted

Given the Sox record on the road this season versus their home record (a better record on the road), having a home field advantage may not be so good.

I do agree, however, in their expected pitching rotation, Buerle pitches much better at home and Garcia pitches much better on the road.  If they play the Angels, however, I would advise the Sox to NOT let Garland pitch a game in Anaheim... He always pitches poorly in his home town area.

take care,
  ted

pkd50

Let's hope we don't have to go to Anehiem.   

Ted

Quote from: pkd50 on October 02, 2005, 12:17:19 PM

I agree.  I am glad we are playing Boston rather than the Angels. I think the Sox would have an easier time with the Red Sox pitching than the Angels' pitching.  I was surprised to hear today that the Angels had snuck up on the Yankees to take away home field advantage from the Yankees

take care
ted

Ted

Quote from: pkd50 on October 02, 2005, 12:17:19 PM

Pkd50,

Unfortunately, the Sox are going to Anaheim and unfortunately Garland is pitching game three there (in front of his family, where he always seems to pitch poorly.)

Why do I have this feeling things will not work out OK.

Take Care
Ted

pkd50

Ted

OK... maybe it is our year....

pkd50

They won!    I don't care how.....we'll take it!!!

scoon

Can I just say that I'm sick to death of hearing about this bad call already?  Ok, it was actually about 8am when I was tired of it, but still.

It was a bad call.  Get over it.  It happens every game.  Umpires make judgement calls all the time that affect the out come of the game.  This one was magnified by being in the 9th with 2 outs.  

Not to mention...  If Josh Paul had simply tagged out Pierzynski like he was taught from Little League on, this would be a non-issue.  If they had gotten Crede out, it would be a non issue.

Sure Anaheim has every right to be pissed.  As a baseball fan I'm pissed.  As a sports talk fan I'm pissed cause I won't be able to listen to the radio for the next week.  And the umpire press conference after the game was inexcusable...

To top it off... A number of northsiders have come to me saying that the ump cost Anaheim the game.  

"Just like Bartman cost the Cubs the NLCS?" I ask them.  

"Yeah." they reply.  

"So it was the ump who didn't throw Ozuna out at second?  It was the umpire who gave up the game winning double?"

Dusty Baker should take notes from Mike Soscia.  He said it was a bad call, but his team lost the game.

Ok, I'm sorry... I'm going home.

shrugger

agreed 100%, scoon... you could hear the announcers stoking the "controversy" even before the game-winning hit, almost hoping that it would effect the outcome so they could talk about it endlessly. at least it's early in the series and the playoffs so there'll be a lot of action to shift the focus away.
we must cultivate our garden

Ted

Quote from: Ted Korbos on October 12, 2005, 07:10:15 PM
Pkd50,

Unfortunately, the Sox are going to Anaheim and unfortunately Garland is pitching game three there (in front of his family, where he always seems to pitch poorly.)

Why do I have this feeling things will not work out OK.

Take Care
Ted

OK, so I was wrong about Garland pitching in Anaheim.  He said yesterday that this was the first time on a trip to Anaheim that he stayed with his teammates at their hotel rather than staying with his parents.  Maybe that helped out.  Then again, maybe it was the 13 days of rest.